Hello and Any information about Transline at Sherburn RDC?

Hi All

I’m new on here so would like to say hello!

I do have a question too. I have an interview next week with Transline at the Sherburn RDC. Anyone got any help or advice to impart about it or any info about the job/what they are like to work for? Also, do they take drivers on a part time basis or is it just full time they are after?

Cheers guys.

Ian

You mean at the Sainsbury’s site? We use Transline i think.

Yes that’s it. I was shocked to get the call as I am a new CE driver and didn’t think they took us guys on! Any info on the units used over there or the interview/driving assesment and what the work involves should I be successful? I really could do with just part time work ideally, possibly nights. Any idea if they take drivers on a part time basis?

Cheers for any help :smiley:

Merc Axor 58reg, Renault Premium 59reg… Class 2 Volvo 26t, Merc and MAN 18t

I’d of thought being agency you can pick and choose when you want to work? Although if you’re too fussy you might not get many calls!

Re assessment, make sure your reversing is up to scratch! Other than that, a safe drive.

I work for Sainsbury’s Sherburn and i have just had my class 1 a year so that should be o.k as said above drive on the assessment as you would if you were taking your a driving test. One of the assessors uses this site too so if he sees this message he could probably help more :slight_smile:

Cheers for that. I think I should hopefully be OK on the drive. I did my class 1 test last Nov and passed with 4 minors (8 on the class 2!). My reverse on test i used one shunt (almost managed without a shunt!). Is the reverse exercise similar to the one on the test then? What trucks do they tend to do the assesment in? I have experience of the Daf CF and a little on the Volvo FL series vehicles. Is the written part of the test the typical agency questionaire about driver hours etc?

Thanks a lot guys. :smiley:

Youll probably find your assessment wil be done in a Merc Axor & i would go with what Philmots said, if you keep it safe & steady, thats what its all about. Drive as if you are on your test.
I had my annual assessment a few weeks back & kept it (as i always do !! ) safe & steady…no rush, no probs.
Good luck Truckulent :slight_smile:

danny_mk2:
One of the assessors uses this site too so if he sees this message he could probably help more :slight_smile:

Danny, which assessor is on here, the ugly one or the really ugly one :smiley:

Thanks very much for the help, much appreciated. Haven’t driven a Merc before, I assume they are manual not auto’s? Looking forward to it really - I have nothing to lose!

Any other tips anyone? :slight_smile:

Most of the Mercs are auto, but a handful are manual, thinking about it they may use a manual one with a 8 speed knock over (it’s what i used on mine) to see what you’re like on gears etc.

Don’t agency guys have their own agency assesor? Thought that’s how it worked, will stand to be corrected though!

The reverse i think will be as in the real world not the driving test, Probably ask you to reverse onto a bay or just reverse into a parking bay. The assessors are brilliant good looking down to earth chaps :slight_smile:

Can you tell i haven’t done my assesment yet :wink:

philmots:
Don’t agency guys have their own agency assesor? Thought that’s how it worked, will stand to be corrected though!

Yes i think they do :wink:

danny_mk2:
The reverse i think will be as in the real world not the driving test, Probably ask you to reverse onto a bay or just reverse into a parking bay. The assessors are brilliant good looking down to earth gay chaps :slight_smile:

Agree’d :laughing:

philmots:

danny_mk2:
The reverse i think will be as in the real world not the driving test, Probably ask you to reverse onto a bay or just reverse into a parking bay. The assessors are brilliant good looking down to earth gay chaps :slight_smile:

Agree’d :laughing:

:smiley:

Well went over to Transline this morning for an interview, scored as well as all the other drivers (better than some) at the tacho and rules tests. All in order and was confidently promised work. Then they realised I have only had my licence since September last year.

I was kicked out straight away. ‘We can only take you if you have two years experience blah blah blah blah’. :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

I could understand them wanting experience. But no, they just want the numbers on your licence to add up to two years since test passed. Not proven experience or plenty of driving. But to have held the licence for two years.

I am not vastly experienced. But I have driven some trucks before and in and around Central London, not the easiest place to ‘cut your teeth’. Why can’t us drivers with less than two years be allowed to sit an extended assesment to at least give us a fair chance? Is this legal anyway? If I had been refused because of gender or race they wouldn’t get away with it.

This is a big predjudice in the transport industry that must be eradicated or the long term losers will be the very people that are treating us unfairly. And I for one, will have no sympathy whatsoever.

I would dearly like to see someone quantify the reasons for this appaling situation. So far i have yet to hear any kind of explanation of any description…

Truckulent:
This is a big predjudice in the transport industry that must be eradicated or the long term losers will be the very people that are treating us unfairly. And I for one, will have no sympathy whatsoever.

This has been in the industry for a long long time, I know a guy who when he passed his HGV1 as it was then in the late 1970’s had exactly the same issue with lack of experience means no opportunities it’s not a new phenomenon

You miss my point. It isn’t experience they want - I could understand that. If I’d had my CE for 2 years exactly and had not driven in that time I would have been at least given a chance to take an assesment drive to prove myself. I wasn’t even offered that chance as ‘you must have held your licence for two years.’ If not you are OUT. Questioning it isn’t allowed.

It doesn’t matter how well you can drive you aren’t given the chance. This isn’t really the way to encourage new drivers into the industry is it? :question:

double post :open_mouth:

Truckulent:
You miss my point. It isn’t experience they want - I could understand that. If I’d had my CE for 2 years exactly and had not driven in that time I would have been at least given a chance to take an assesment drive to prove myself. I wasn’t even offered that chance as ‘you must have held your licence for two years.’ If not you are OUT. Questioning it isn’t allowed.

It doesn’t matter how well you can drive you aren’t given the chance. This isn’t really the way to encourage new drivers into the industry is it? :question:

I’m amazed that someone who is supposedly intelligent did not search this or any other Drivers forum,you would not have been surprised that you will require 2 years experience? Maybe you should stick to your day job and leave the driving to the professionals OK :grimacing: Even if it is for Stobarts on Stobarts rates!! :wink:

Oh!! Did I fail to mention that I worked Central London for 6 years on multi-drop before the 3 years+ on C+E on Stobbies