height&vehicle

was talking last nite about the height of some guys,and the vehicles they drive.we have 3 guys at our depot who are 6’4’',two of them drive a volvo fm12 and the other drive’s a M.A.N rigid.the obvious problem is the distance the seat goes back or lack off it. in the fh12 the guy’s wish that the bunk could fold away and that they could move the seat right back,also the height restriction inside the cab these guys are hitting the roof when there sat in the cab as they have too raise the seat to allow the leg room for the pedals.i suppose a topliner type vehicle of any kind would be the ideal truck for them.so what height are you guys out there standing at,and if you had the choice of any truck in the country what would it be and what are the disadvantages of the truck your driving now.or have you got the ideal truck for your height. :wink:

sorry my mistake it should have read fm instead of fh… :blush:

KK i am 6’6" i used to drove a Pcab i felt like a bloody sardine when i drove it, th eprobloem i have with any Scania is that stupid sun visor i cant see a thing further upthe road becauseof it.

I also drove a Merc Actros/Axor i cant remember it was the high foor one and the seat just does not go back far enough, the only cab i have found comfartable is the Stralis but belive it or not i couldn,t get the seat to go low enough.

I’m surprised that the Volvo F12 would have these problems. The American Volvos in my fleet have more seat adjustment than any of our other vehicles, and most of our taller drivers hold on to those units, even though we are trying to replace them. I’m 6’2", and a couple summers ago I drove one of those trucks and found enough slider left on the seat for probably a 7 footer to use.

I am 6’2" also and I have to say that the seat in my Volvo VN does noy go back far enough, if it reclined more I wouldn’t feel so uncomfortable. I always found that the seat comfort in an FH 12 was far better because the seat would almost totally recline.
The seat in my VN is blocked by a dresser.

I’m very tall and I find that ERF’s and day cabs give me back ache because of the seats not having much flexibility when it comes to adjusting them. Cars can be a nightmare the sun visor thing means you have to really recline the seat.

I am 3ft 4" and wish my feet could touch the pedals and i`m fed up being called shorty all the time…but iam ok in FL10s cos the seat dont adjust too far back…bit of a bonus sometimes though cos no one can see me behind the glass…
have a nice day

I’m 6’2". I swap between 2 wagons at work - a Scania standard cab and a Daf 7.5 tonner.

The Scania is too small. Can’t get the seat back far enough. Can’t stand up to put on my traaasers in the morning. All in all, it’s a wee-mans (or woman’s - sorry :blush: ) cab.

The Daf 7.5 tonner is better cos the seat goes further back - in fact the seat is more comfy all round - if only it was air-sprung. Still can’t sand up to get dressed. The bunk folds away cos the seats have to be folded forward to get the bunk down cos there ain’t much room in there.

Either way, I’m screwed when it comes to comfort. :unamused:
Never mind - 04 Daf 85 coming soon. Not getting the Space Cab :frowning: We’ll see how the wagon pans out. Looking for another job anyway - hopefully get a bigger cab next time.

Lostpup:
I’m 6’2". I swap between 2 wagons at work - a Scania standard cab and a Daf 7.5 tonner.

The Scania is too small. Can’t get the seat back far enough. Can’t stand up to put on my traaasers in the morning. All in all, it’s a wee-mans (or woman’s - sorry :blush: ) cab.

The Daf 7.5 tonner is better cos the seat goes further back - in fact the seat is more comfy all round - if only it was air-sprung. Still can’t sand up to get dressed. The bunk folds away cos the seats have to be folded forward to get the bunk down cos there ain’t much room in there.

Either way, I’m screwed when it comes to comfort. :unamused:
Never mind - 04 Daf 85 coming soon. Not getting the Space Cab :frowning: We’ll see how the wagon pans out. Looking for another job anyway - hopefully get a bigger cab next time.

The DAF85 is probably the smallest cab of all the artic non-big-lid cabs. I think the Streamline Scanny has the biggest, closely followed by the FH12, then nothing much between the Actros and Iveco then finishing off with the 85. I tramped for nearly 3 months in a low-roof FH12 and managed alright.