Heavy haulage 1929

britishpathe.com/record.php?id=10138

nice bit of nostalgia

cracking bit of film that use a name.

bet that bloke on the back got nice and and freezing cold in the winter and that was a chain I think, lovely old films though

I am not so sure that hands free telephone would be legal today :stuck_out_tongue:

Hey Wheelnut

Looks like your driving, slow and over the pavement

Roger

now thats what you call a "back " bogieman lol

Hiya…top marks for the few moments of film.I see the maston company was from Liverpool but i think the lads had just tipped in Manchaster
looking at the weather.The riveted trailer looks stunning it must have been a work of art building that.Them tyres look a bit dodgy for wet weather.
Any more film like that around i’am up for it brill.
John

Blimey :open_mouth:

VOSA would have a field day with that, cos there’s not a single mudguard in sight. :smiley: :stuck_out_tongue:

Cracking piece of film though. :smiley:

Looks a bit like something J & B Swindon or Carpenters of Crudwell would have run a few years ago. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Pickfords 100 tonner based in Sheffield depot was in service up to the mid 50s I was lucky enough to have a day in it when I was a lad which was identical to the one in the film. They had a solid tyred trailer in service into the mid 70s and the tyres were still the same as in the film no mud guards it mostly used in bogie form to carry loads up to 120 tons and it had 4 axles on each bogie with 4 wheels per axle. I am almost certain that these vehicles were exempt from the MOT test at the time.
cheers Johnnie

sammyopisite:
Pickfords 100 tonner based in Sheffield depot was in service up to the mid 50s I was lucky enough to have a day in it when I was a lad which was identical to the one in the film. They had a solid tyred trailer in service into the mid 70s and the tyres were still the same as in the film no mud guards it mostly used in bogie form to carry loads up to 120 tons and it had 4 axles on each bogie with 4 wheels per axle. I am almost certain that these vehicles were exempt from the MOT test at the time.
cheers Johnnie

Hiya …I will go with that one sammyopisite.I think it was a grey area .i bet no one asked. and companys played a bit ignorant and got away with it
after all who would question Pickfords in the 50s/60s/70s and they would say we never new.Its these VOSA people to answer to nowadays. A chap said to me they are a right load of jobsworths. Iam glad to be out of the rat race now.
John