Haulage company's need to give more respect

I have been with a few different company’s through agency and full time in the last 20 years and it is disgusting the way drivers are treated and spoken to. I don’t mess about with the likes of these kind of people as iam disliked by agency’s and bosses in the past as I speak my mind and tell them straight, don’t speak to me unless you see me as a human being and not a piece of meat with a £sign.

I know every other driver has experienced the lack of respect in this industry and quite honestly no matter how much or how little the pay is there is not one company better than the next. The fact is that this country and any other for that matter is kept running by hgv drivers, it was proved back earlier when the country was nearly brought to its knees regarding the price of fuel, a lot of people seem to have forgotten this and the effect it had then. However what iam saying is that there needs to be a change in attitude towards drivers and that starts with the company bosses,managers etc.

so where do we go from here to demand better conditions respect and professional drivers pay, after all how does ford,asda and Tesco not to mention building materials etc get to there stores and warehouse’s, I wonder. as a driver I don’t want to be doing this job anymore I have seen enough but what is needed is a complete shake up and change in conditions etc, but is there a union that could have the b…s to stand up and say? I rest my case. mabe we should look to the French drivers for answer’s…

Agency lads seem to get the worse of it.

I know every other driver has experienced the lack of respect in this industry and quite honestly no matter how much or how little the pay is there is not one company better than the next.

Speak for yourself. You’re certainly not speaking for me. I currently drive on agency at a company who does respect their drivers and treats agency drivers equally as well as their own and have done for the whole of the 22 years I’ve been going in there. Done most of my career agency, never really had an issue. Maybe its because I have a wash and shave before work, wear decent clean drivers overalls and speak like I’ve had an education instead of turning up looking like Stig of the dump in my best oily rags and grunting in response to “hello”.

Act in a professional manner with a pleasant persona, get treated in the same manner. Act like a twunt, get treated like a twunt. If you’re experiencing what you are at the majority of places you go to as a driver and deliver to you need to look in the mirror because the fault is squarely with you.

so where do we go from here to demand better conditions respect and professional drivers pay

Try acting like one.

I don’t recognise that at all. On the whole I find that I get treated as I engage. Im polite and easy going, and tend tk get that same attitude back most of the time.

Mind you, I know plenty of drivers who “speak their mind and tell it straight”… its called rude and ill mannered.

Which fuel depot or raffinery did you protest at?

Conor:

I know every other driver has experienced the lack of respect in this industry and quite honestly no matter how much or how little the pay is there is not one company better than the next.

Speak for yourself. You’re certainly not speaking for me. Done most of my career agency, never really had an issue. Maybe its because I have a wash and shave before work, wear decent clean drivers overalls and speak like I’ve had an education instead of turning up looking like Stig of the dump in my best oily rags and grunting in response to “hello”.

Act in a professional manner with a pleasant persona, get treated in the same manner. Act like a twunt, get treated like a twunt. If you’re experiencing what you are at the majority of places you go to as a driver and deliver to you need to look in the mirror because the fault is squarely with you.

Have to agree. Have been working for many companies through various agencies for several years now and never had any problems whatsoever. Mind you, I do treat people how I wish to be treated myself.

Radar19:

Because their ■■■■

but is there a union that could have the b…s to stand up and say?

First day joined / first post, mention the Unions, try to sell something??

When I started working a long while ago, my old man who ran a successful business, teached me one important lesson:
If you Boss pays you, he doesn’t need to thank you, if you done the work, you don’t need to say thank you for the money.

We are all prostitutes, we hire our body out to do some work, either on our back like the girls behind the window with red lights, or sitting upright behind the steering wheel, the principle is the same.
You name you price, agree and get ■■■■■■ or do the job.
If you get underpaid than you have a wrong agreement.
If your Boss don’t cuddle you, talks nice to you, and you don’t like it, than you learnt a lesson and don’t come back.

Having a moan here doesn’t change anything, vote with you feet, and go somewhere else for a better deal.

If you can’t get a better deal, you are maybe the smelly, fat, ugly prostitute where nobody as the most desperate want to pay for.

Don’t blame your Client (=Boss / Company / planner) because you have the choice to walk away, or otherwise you must accept that you are the ugly Duckling that nobody but the most deprived desperate want.

Unions don’t change anything for the better (they haven’t done anything for the last 20 years) people who vote with their feet change things, even if its only improving your own situation.

Grow a pear of balls, look In the mirror, act professional, grow up and deal with it.

Radar19:

Not where I work, they get the best of the best and the full time drivers get shafted

Conor:

Speak for yourself. You’re certainly not speaking for me. I currently drive on agency at a company who does respect their drivers and treats agency drivers equally as well as their own and have done for the whole of the 22 years I’ve been going in there. Done most of my career agency, never really had an issue. Maybe its because I have a wash and shave before work, wear decent clean drivers overalls and speak like I’ve had an education instead of turning up looking like Stig of the dump in my best oily rags and grunting in response to “hello”.

so where do we go from here to demand better conditions respect and professional drivers pay

Try acting like one.

So really what you’re saying is I’m alright Jack ■■■■ you, which in my opinion is the way everyone has gone now, real shame it means we are all totally screwed, well done driver!!

G6Bob:

Radar19:

Not where I work, they get the best of the best and the full time drivers get shafted

Aye, the agency lads at my new place are paid more and by the hour. Oh well, I hated my time on agency.

Conor:

Try acting like one.

Well said connor :neutral_face:

Radar19:

At a few places I been to,the Agency guys were treat better than full -timers…

im an agency driver and have been for nearly 3 years.
in that time ive only had one client treat me badly all the others have been good as gold.
my attitude is be be helpful friendly polite and if it is not recipricated i wont be back.
because i find most people just want the job done properly.

bobbya:

Conor:
Act in a professional manner with a pleasant persona, get treated in the same manner. Act like a twunt, get treated like a twunt.

So really what you’re saying is I’m alright Jack [zb] you…

So really what you’re saying is - I act like a twunt, I get treated like a twunt and I’m jealous of the people who aren’t twunts?

zeddman:

Radar19:

No offence m8 but alot of agency men are not up to the job thats why they are given easy work , :neutral_face:

bobbya:
So really what you’re saying is I’m alright Jack [zb] you, which in my opinion is the way everyone has gone now, real shame it means we are all totally screwed, well done driver!!

No, I’m saying that people tend to generally get treated how they deserve to be. If you’re pig ignorant, wear clothes with more grease on than the fifth wheel of the truck you’re driving and generally look and sound like a turd, why is it my fault you get treated like crap? If you can’t be bothered to make the effort why is it my fault and why should other people be bothered with you?

ajt:
Because their [zb]

they’re - not their !!

pjv444:
I know every other driver has experienced the lack of respect in this industry…

I did the job for over 25 years and never experienced that.

As others have said a lot of people who complain about this sort of thing really aren’t helping themselves and bring it on themselves. No offence but you sound like one of them to me with some of your comments, especially the old chestnut about the French. It’s was last century they last took any effective action.

seth 70:

zeddman:

Radar19:

No offence m8 but alot of agency men are not up to the job thats why they are given easy work , :neutral_face:

Excellent, I’ve just handed in my notice to go back on agency work, happy days. :laughing:

steelgoon:

ajt:
Because their [zb]

they’re - not their !!

WTF ,you sad person