Hang out for more pay

hello all
drivers have to find a way to communicate nationally we need to work together for more pay and better conditions and the respect we deserve as human beings and as professional work force.Employers/agencies are desperate for drivers they pay as little as they can get away with the keep us divided, agencies especially pay different rates to different drivers large companies are trying all kinds of different contracts to trap drivers on low wages or more relevant long long hours.
we should be working together to make it known that drivers will only work for a minimum rate we should be telling them the rates we will work for not the other way round.
we are disrespected by agencies and employers our conditions have been eroded we are treated like second class citizens at distribution centres etc .
we hold all the cards but don’t know how to play them we should have our own agencies to negotiate on our behalf and more union involvement to unite us against exploitation and huge disrespect we are a highly skilled work force whom are treated like scum i can go on and on but is there anyone out there who does not understand what i am saying?your views please.

When I worked for a large firm you couldn’t even get a group of drivers at one depot to work and stand together so what chance is there to stand together nationally…
Sad but true…

We went down this road a couple of weeks ago when the subject of agencies was discussed and as it hasn’t happened so far, the chances of it happening in the future are extremely remote, but not impossible. I wont hold my breath though.

as already been said we have been down this road several times have a look at some of my post’s to many are cab happy working for peanuts and as for sticking together it aint happening I support you wholeheartedly but driver’s in this country keep moaning but take some action not a chance, no driver’s no food/petrol no brainer

This subject has been discussed by many for years and years even before,as some of us old`uns will tell,back to the days when Transport went on strike to get £1 an hour.
The same happened then as would happen now,some people will drive for “peanuts” just to drive a new motor,and break a picket line when required,except when the strike is by their Customers workforce in case they got "blacked "
When Felixstowe was a relatively small up and coming dock,Companies down there where offering 2/3 of my wage with a promise of a new Scania or a Volvo as I said then why would I want take a pay cut when I can earn more driving a Guy Big J
It was rumoured another lot of drivers here in North Warwickshire were content because the had a bag of spuds off the gaffers farm as and when they wanted.
Sorry to say that once some Drivers gets out of the “yard” they become their own man and interpret anything of what was agreed or voted on at any meeting of Drivers or Union to suit them, they change back when they meet their work mates in the cafe or when they return back to base.
DRIVERS ARE THEIR OWN WORST ENEMY always have been and more than likely always will be.

Already doing, it if the rate isn’t above my minimum I don’t do it …simples, I’m not a charity to support transport bosses.

lolipop:
This subject has been discussed by many for years and years even before,as some of us old`uns will tell,back to the days when Transport went on strike to get £1 an hour.
The same happened then as would happen now,some people will drive for “peanuts” just to drive a new motor,and break a picket line when required,except when the strike is by their Customers workforce in case they got "blacked "
When Felixstowe was a relatively small up and coming dock,Companies down there where offering 2/3 of my wage with a promise of a new Scania or a Volvo as I said then why would I want take a pay cut when I can earn more driving a Guy Big J
It was rumoured another lot of drivers here in North Warwickshire were content because the had a bag of spuds off the gaffers farm as and when they wanted.
Sorry to say that once some Drivers gets out of the “yard” they become their own man and interpret anything of what was agreed or voted on at any meeting of Drivers or Union to suit them, they change back when they meet their work mates in the cafe or when they return back to base.
DRIVERS ARE THEIR OWN WORST ENEMY always have been and more than likely always will be.

+1

I recall talking to a James Irlam driver and he said when he had asked about a pay rise he was offered the next new lorry. Whether he took it or not I don’t know, but obviously there are those that would because that is more important to them than money.

Personally I have only ever worked for one reason and that is to accumulate MONEY. Whether I actually needed it or not was irrelevant.

waddy640:

lolipop:

+1

I recall talking to a James Irlam driver and he said when he had asked about a pay rise he was offered the next new lorry. Whether he took it or not I don’t know, but obviously there are those that would because that is more important to them than money.

Personally I have only ever worked for one reason and that is to accumulate MONEY. Whether I actually needed it or not was irrelevant.

The only reason they get a new motor is because they pay for it by driving on the cheap,so nothing has changed over the years

I used to work for a big haulage company had green trucks cant quite remember the name but we were told some year’s back not asked that we were to get a pay rise yippee but it was the usual peanuts so the driver’s decided it was not enough so we had a meeting said we were not happy and wanted more everyone agreed so a couple of week’s later your all getting new truck’s lad’s yippee Volvo globetrotter’s more yippee so the week after we got the fantabulos new Volvo’s ok what about the pay rise and guess what ive got a new Volvo yippee so what about the pay rise ive got a new Volvo who care’s about a pay rise I rest my case monkey’s working for peanut’s and I don’t see any change coming on the 10th September either as the government are saying that most driver’s are now holding there dccp card so now we are all professional’s oh but youre still a lorry driver that’s not professional enough to get good pay sigh :smiling_imp:

chicane:
Already doing, it if the rate isn’t above my minimum I don’t do it …simples, I’m not a charity to support transport bosses.

Exactly.

The people who moan about the job are the ones who let themselves become the victims of it.

Not happy with your pay? Find somewhere which pays better.

Sick of agencies? Leave and work for a company direct.

Sick of the whole game? Leave and do something different.

it’s alright saying get out of it and stop moaning easier said than done and most not all driver’s are moaner’s, anyway its part of the job,and ive tried many time’s to get out only to be told or not in most cases that I don’t have the experience to drive a desk or pick order’s and because ime a driver I will probably go back to it good luck to anybody who can get out

yawn
dream on …
drivers will never and wont work together and in the past never did .

The reason … Drivers are a lonely breed, work alone and spend a lot of time on their own so guess what, they want to be left alone…

You can’t pay a big mortgage and fill the larder with decent food - with a new bit of kit to drive. :bulb:

samsgrandad:
it’s alright saying get out of it and stop moaning easier said than done and most not all driver’s are moaner’s, anyway its part of the job,and ive tried many time’s to get out only to be told or not in most cases that I don’t have the experience to drive a desk or pick order’s and because ime a driver I will probably go back to it good luck to anybody who can get out

I got out of trying to earn a living driving a lorry in 1978 and have never regretted it. I have done a couple of periods casual driving but have always had an alternative income, be it salary or pension.

waddy640:

samsgrandad:

I got out of trying to earn a living driving a lorry in 1978 and have never regretted it. I have done a couple of periods casual driving but have always had an alternative income, be it salary or pension.

Got out in 1978? Is your opinion valid these days? I was 8 then and I have a fab job that I love and get paid well for it. If I left an industry 36 years ago the last thing I’d be doing would be commenting on something I obviously know nothing about?

madiganzo:

waddy640:

samsgrandad:

Got out in 1978? Is your opinion valid these days? I was 8 then and I have a fab job that I love and get paid well for it. If I left an industry 36 years ago the last thing I’d be doing would be commenting on something I obviously know nothing about?

Try reading what I have written, I gave up driving for a living, I didn’t say I had given up driving.

as probably said before… “good luck with that”

Drivers, Unions, United, its like holding a red rag to a bull, drivers today are so different in lots of ways, we had mortgages back then and lots of hire purchase, even the tv was a rental but we had guts, we fought for what was needed, some of us joined the strike at wapping, some joined the miners for their cause because we all belonged to a union the TGWU if you didnt, you couldnt work, bosses encouraged you too and when you went for a job interview they would ask for your union card and often stopped the dues out of your wages. We know times have changed now you have to write a CV to get a job, got a have a test drive
( assessment ) fill in loads of forms, at least back then we were trusted Hi Mate, got any jobs, yeah when can you start, tomorrow, ok dont forget your licence i need to see it so even the bosses had a good rapport with his drivers was on first name terms all because he had done the job himself, and a driver once on the road could tell other drivers sorry mate i havent done this before or i havnt driven this before and there was always someone to help out and we all stuck together. The drivers today are spoilt with the vehicles they drive no roping and sheeting a lot of loading/unloading is done for them on bays life certainly is a lot sweeter and many have all the comforts of home with them on a night out tv/dvd/laptop, microwave, fridge, luxury bedding etc and i dont blame them , but ask him to unite against his boss, or join forces for strike action and its a no no and there are many who refuse to get out of their comfort to even go for a beer, i had one say to me Im watching corrie yeah alright mate see ya later. We shared digs, 6 - 8 to a room had a few beers and round to the chippie to finish the night off, thats the nights out i wish for but sadly gone, not for the flea bitten pits we slept in, but the comarderie, the closeness of being in the same industry and very proud.

truckyboy:
Drivers, Unions, United, its like holding a red rag to a bull, drivers today are so different in lots of ways, we had mortgages back then and lots of hire purchase, even the tv was a rental but we had guts, we fought for what was needed, some of us joined the strike at wapping, some joined the miners for their cause because we all belonged to a union the TGWU if you didnt, you couldnt work, bosses encouraged you too and when you went for a job interview they would ask for your union card and often stopped the dues out of your wages. We know times have changed now you have to write a CV to get a job, got a have a test drive
( assessment ) fill in loads of forms, at least back then we were trusted Hi Mate, got any jobs, yeah when can you start, tomorrow, ok dont forget your licence i need to see it so even the bosses had a good rapport with his drivers was on first name terms all because he had done the job himself, and a driver once on the road could tell other drivers sorry mate i havent done this before or i havnt driven this before and there was always someone to help out and we all stuck together. The drivers today are spoilt with the vehicles they drive no roping and sheeting a lot of loading/unloading is done for them on bays life certainly is a lot sweeter and many have all the comforts of home with them on a night out tv/dvd/laptop, microwave, fridge, luxury bedding etc and i dont blame them , but ask him to unite against his boss, or join forces for strike action and its a no no and there are many who refuse to get out of their comfort to even go for a beer, i had one say to me Im watching corrie yeah alright mate see ya later. We shared digs, 6 - 8 to a room had a few beers and round to the chippie to finish the night off, thats the nights out i wish for but sadly gone, not for the flea bitten pits we slept in, but the comarderie, the closeness of being in the same industry and very proud.

The sleeper cab put paid to some of the above and as you say drivers helped each other then but H&S and other legislation leaves us all open to litigation if anything goes wrong so we look after number one.

truckyboy:

could not have put it better trucykboy sleeper cab’s put an end to this once gr8 job