Grubs up Cobham MSA M25

There is a roast meat carvery that is very good.beef,chicken ,pork and barbeqeue flavoured pulled pork.
Choice of bread rolls.Pot of roast spuds,hot or cold drink for £5.95.
Also there is a noodle stand,Asian food.
A Mexican food court,Papa Johns pizza.
Waitrose,Starbucks and Macky D’s.
The best one is the pulled pork.Fills you up.Friendly staff for a change.Not bad.But Mr Maggoo designed the lgv parking layout after a heavy session at Weatherspoons.

Aye I do like some pulled pork :wink: :unamused:
Yea but it’s £25 for parking , agree about the layout was there last week , took me a few goes to get in a space with a wide ports cabin on :blush: , should of parked in the coach spaces instead !

Only UK Msa’s are built close to the traffic noise.
The ones in Europe are set away from noise or in a forest/secluded area.

the mexica’s not bad either in there :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Mikey D:
Yea but it’s £25 for parking

It never ceases to amaze me the amount of motors that o/n park at these rip off sh holes at these prices, or is it just me that thinks £25 is way way ott :open_mouth:

robroy:
these rip off sh holes:shock:

+1

The pulled pork serving is very big,with a slab of stuffing.I thought it was good value for money as you get the roast tatties and a drink.

robroy:

Mikey D:

It never ceases to amaze me the amount of motors that o/n park at these rip off sh holes at these prices, or is it just me that thinks £25 is way way ott :open_mouth:

Parked there once using SNAP. but did chat with other drivers who had paid £25 and get ■■■■ all in return. it’s wrong they charge that amount. They should charge the driver for the hours he is going to park up for not 24 hours when he is only going to be there for 9 - 11 hours.

I paid 32 quid in Maidstone the other night.
I don’t think it would be too much to ask…to put a night watchman on.

Only UK Msa’s are built close to the traffic noise.
The ones in Europe are set away from noise or in a forest/secluded area.

Not true, German MSA’s are bad for this. Trucks are usually parked with the cab a few yards from the carraigeway. Still the same today from what I saw last year.

In France there are aire de repos or rest areas every 20 miles on the toll motorway.
Walking paths in the woods,set away from the road.Free parking.
The UK Government shelved plans to have the same on motorways.
Before Cobham was built there was only Clacket Lane and South Mimms.
For a large city ,that is pathetic.Madrid started with one motorway ring road,the M30,now there are eight or more with rest stops and numerous restaurants and cafes.
In the UK junk food is king.For speed it is handy.
If there was good quality meals,would they sell that well.The Rouitiers in France, a 6 course meal from 10 to 20 euros.

robroy:

Mikey D:

At £75 million to build they need 3 million overnight stops just to get their money back.

If you pay 100k for a truck, do you think you should accept the lowest rates for work or one that provides a decent wage/return on your investment ?.

If it’s a valid running cost price it into your rates unless you are one of the drivers who find it acceptable to park anywhere, ■■■■ in a bottle, ■■■■ in a bush and then expect someone else to pay toclear it up after you.

'ang on a minute you do that in services anyway if it’s to far to the toilets :laughing:

speedyguy:
At £75 million to build they need 3 million overnight stops just to get their money back.

:

Which would be correct if they were built purely for HGV’s, but they’re not, they’re built primarily to cater for reps, holiday makers and people like you to toss the job off in! HGV’s aren’t and never will be their core business, and that’s fair enough imo, but for you to suggest that they’ll get a return on their initial investment purely by overnight parking is disingenuous at best and complete bollox at worst.

speedyguy:

robroy:

Mikey D:

If you pay 100k for a truck, do you think you should accept the lowest rates for work or one that provides a decent wage/return on your investment ?.

If it’s a valid running cost price it into your rates unless you are one of the drivers who find it acceptable to park anywhere, ■■■■ in a bottle, [zb] in a bush and then expect someone else to pay toclear it up after you.

:open_mouth: So now truck drivers are acting as self appointed spokesmen for multi million pound MSA co.s, to justify being ripped off, by having to pay potentially £125 per wk to park :open_mouth: ONLY because they are being provided what SHOULD be considered a basic human right such as a toilet facility :open_mouth:
What ■■■■■■ chance have we ever got of improving things and eradicating injustices that we face daily when drivers think like this :unamused: :unamused:

And why do you assume that I resort to ■■■■ ing in a dyke because I do not pay over the top for parking on principle only… :unamused: ffs!
And thanks for sharing your wisdom on transport management :open_mouth: , but I learned all that and more about 30 yrs ago. :unamused:

the maoster:

speedyguy:

:

Which would be correct if they were built purely for HGV’s, but they’re not, they’re built primarily to cater for reps, holiday makers and people like you to toss the job off in! HGV’s aren’t and never will be their core business, and that’s fair enough imo, but for you to suggest that they’ll get a return on their initial investment purely by overnight parking is disingenuous at best and complete bollox at worst.

I know that but, we are on about truckdrivers not wanting to pay the price for a service. The same applies to car drivers who get ‘invoiced’ for staying more than 2 hrs? The MSA’s only want you in, Pockets emptied and back out to make more money,
They are private companies just like the haulage firms that use them.

Probably only reason trucks are in there is that it a govt requirement they have to be or you could guarantee that the parking lot would be turned over to car/coach parking.
I know of at least one location on a trunk rd where services signs are being taken down as they have to allow trucks in and they don’t want them in or meet the requirements to have them.

Tell me how many motorway truckstops you have seen being built since the regulations were changed to allow them ?
Just for the slip rds in you are talking 5-8million that’s why most operators try and build at jnc sites where their set up costs are less.

mickyblue:

robroy:

Mikey D:

Parked there once using SNAP. but did chat with other drivers who had paid £25 and get [zb] all in return. it’s wrong they charge that amount. They should charge the driver for the hours he is going to park up for not 24 hours when he is only going to be there for 9 - 11 hours.

Mickey, may I ask why you paid it then :question:

robroy:
:open_mouth: So now truck drivers are acting as self appointed spokesmen for multi million pound MSA co.s, to justify being ripped off, by having to pay potentially £125 per wk to park :open_mouth: ONLY because they are being provided what SHOULD be considered a basic human right such as a toilet facility :open_mouth:
What [zb] chance have we ever got of improving things and eradicating injustices that we face daily when drivers think like this :unamused: :unamused:

And why do you assume that I resort to [zb] ing in a dyke because I do not pay over the top for parking on principle only… :unamused: ffs!
And thanks for sharing your wisdom on transport management :open_mouth: , but I learned all that and more about 30 yrs ago. :unamused:

My c+e licence has lapsed less than a year ago so I don’t have any intention of driving, I’ve seen what it’s like and thought I’d try and see if it could be improved.

Your not paying for the toilets they are free, you are paying for the parking.
There have been attempts to charge for toilets believe me, but funnily enough if you ever use a mainline railway station tell me are the toilets free? They ain’t at Euston/Bham/Mcr.
Everyone wants everything for free and someone else to pay for it, It’s human nature, I would have loved free diesel the 15 years I was on O/D

One of the small truckpark operators who has since sold out was pulling his hair out about what ‘drivers’ did to the facilities he tried to provide, ripping the showers, smashing everything, general filth but let’s be straight that will only be a small minority who ruin it for the rest as in all walks of life.

You may not ■■■■ in a dyke you may hold it in well, but there’s enough councils etc trying to get laybys closed due to the detrius being left behind by truckers.

I stopped with a poorly truck driver a few years ago who showed my gobby colleague a clear plastic bag full of ■■■■■ it wasn’t a pleasant site :smiley:.

If private companys and govt got their own way I’d be surprised to see any free overnight long stay parking by the roadside.

As I said I used to drive so had a good idea what it’s about but a ‘minority’ or drivers do seem to ruin it for everyone else.

speedyguy:
My c+e licence has lapsed less than a year ago so I don’t have any intention of driving, I’ve seen what it’s like and thought I’d try and see if it could be improved.

Your not paying for the toilets they are free, you are paying for the parking.
There have been attempts to charge for toilets believe me, but funnily enough if you ever use a mainline railway station tell me are the toilets free? They ain’t at Euston/Bham/Mcr.
Everyone wants everything for free and someone else to pay for it, It’s human nature, I would have loved free diesel the 15 years I was on O/D

One of the small truckpark operators who has since sold out was pulling his hair out about what ‘drivers’ did to the facilities he tried to provide, ripping the showers, smashing everything, general filth but let’s be straight that will only be a small minority who ruin it for the rest as in all walks of life.

You may not [zb] in a dyke you may hold it in well, but there’s enough councils etc trying to get laybys closed due to the detrius being left behind by truckers.

I stopped with a poorly truck driver a few years ago who showed my gobby colleague a clear plastic bag full of [zb] it wasn’t a pleasant site :smiley:.

If private companys and govt got their own way I’d be surprised to see any free overnight long stay parking by the roadside.
As I said I used to drive so had a good idea what it’s about but a ‘minority’ or drivers do seem to ruin it for everyone else.

I’m fully aware that you don’t pay for the toilets, I was pointing out that these were the only free facilities provided for the extortionate parking charges at MSAs, and compared to parking free somewhere, this was the only difference. (And wtf have railway stations to do with it anyway :open_mouth: :unamused: )

As for drivers smashing up facilities, do you REALLY believe that :unamused: , that sounds a bit like the excuse used when you ask to use a toilet when you tip, you know the one, you can’t because of the the famous (fictitious) driver who goes around ■■■■ ing up the bog wall everywhere, yeh right! :unamused: I aint that naïve to believe this type of b/s
Did you analyse the bag of zb? if so did it contain diesel fumes, or toilet paper adapted from Truck & Driver magazine? If not how did you know it was deposited from a trucker’s arse? :unamused:
As for the govt banning lay by parking, I have actually suggested that myself on here numerous times, as I believe that as professional drivers we should be provided facilities, not necessarily free, but fair and reasonably priced with incentives, so consequently I do not use lay bys.

green456:

mickyblue:

robroy:

Mikey D:

Parked there once using SNAP. but did chat with other drivers who had paid £25 and get [zb] all in return. it’s wrong they charge that amount. They should charge the driver for the hours he is going to park up for not 24 hours when he is only going to be there for 9 - 11 hours.

Mickey, may I ask why you paid it then :question:

No choice. Coming along the 25 and was running low on time. Either that or get a infringement to get to the next services. I didn’t know it was that price until I had a chat with a driver. With SNAP there the worker walks around getting reg numbers if you display a SNAP badge

The showers at cobham are great, if down that way I’d try to get to redhill every time. Free parking in nice town with sainsburys and wetherspoons 2 mins walk away. Wouldn’t pay 25 quid to stay there or in any msa for that matter. Way too noisey for a decent nights kip.