Got stopped by VOSA

I was on the A55 this week and got stopped by VOSA. This is the first time in about 10 years or so. Stopped where they told me to and waited. The guy in the office kept looking up and then went back to his computer. After about 15 minutes they waved me on.
I wonder if on a newer truck (14 plate) if they can check the tacho online?
Our trucks are tracked by Scania so can VOSA also access the system?
It seems a bit strange to be held there for 15 minutes without anyone coming over to see me or check anything.

I heard that they have the ability to connect via Bluetooth or something like on the latest tacho units!? :open_mouth:

transportnewsbrief.co.uk/bus … cs-sector/

whiteheart3:
I heard that they have the ability to connect via Bluetooth or something like on the latest tacho units!? :open_mouth:

No they can’t, it’s driver’s/RDC bullcrap that myth. It may happen at some point but it’s not there yet.

bristolron:
I was on the A55 this week and got stopped by VOSA. This is the first time in about 10 years or so. Stopped where they told me to and waited. The guy in the office kept looking up and then went back to his computer. After about 15 minutes they waved me on.
I wonder if on a newer truck (14 plate) if they can check the tacho online?
Our trucks are tracked by Scania so can VOSA also access the system?
It seems a bit strange to be held there for 15 minutes without anyone coming over to see me or check anything.

Possibly just looking up the OCRS score for your firm and maybe checking insurance and VED.

Coffeeholic:

whiteheart3:

No they can’t, it’s driver’s/RDC bullcrap that myth.

No they can’t do it yet but the technology is there. Could be something flagged up but no-one came and spoke to you which is strange…

THIS is part of the link I posted

Come 2017/2018 a new generation of tachographs is set to arrive that will be capable of being interrogated by enforcement officials standing by the side of the road as the vehicle travels past to see if an offence is being committed

I was pulled at the same point as the OP and it was similar. They waved me on but stopped me just before the exit.

The official told me that it was just an advisory but they had detected that I had been using my mobile phone continuous for 12 minutes on bluetooth prior to the pull over and that although it was still legal they also advised that it was still not good practice and be careful of usage.

I decided to just get out of the way :wink:

nick2008:

Coffeeholic:

whiteheart3:

No they can’t, it’s driver’s/RDC bullcrap that myth. It may happen at some point but it’s not there yet.

No they can’t do it yet but the technology is there.

I think I said that, different words but same thing. :smiley:

I hope they do go down the Bluetooth route in the future, if it’s a reliable as my phone connection to the Parrot devices I often use they will spend more time ■■■■■■■ about pairing than reading any data!

dri-diddly-iver:
The official told me that it was just an advisory but they had detected that I had been using my mobile phone continuous for 12 minutes prior to the pull over and that although it was still legal they also advised that it was still not good practice and be careful of usage.

I decided to just get out of the way :wink:

And how did they know?

If they said anything like that I’d be asking how as its invasion of privacy to me unless I was spotted using phone physically

I wonder how long it will take someone to workout that if you link your Bluetooth to your tacho at start of shift,then it wont link elsewhere at the same time…im glad I never flung my old nokia away…plug phone into ciggy lighter.bluetooth connection to tacho,and free from prying vosa eyes? would that not work?

dcgpx:
And how did they know?

I’ve no idea but it was true as I was on the phone to the wife and told her I think I’m about to get pulled and we decided to end the call. They also asked briefly about a text message I’d sent but I assured them I was actually on break at the time and sent it at the same time as pulling away from lay bay - which is true before the pedantics get going :wink:

how did they know it was your bluetooth and not the other 5,000 plus other drivers that pass that point each hour. :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:
does your cab light up when your on the phone?

Coffeeholic:

nick2008:

Coffeeholic:

whiteheart3:

No they can’t do it yet but the technology is there.

I think I said that, different words but same thing. :smiley:

I was in agreement with an additional comment

dri-diddly-iver:

dcgpx:
And how did they know?

I’ve no idea but it was true as I was on the phone to the wife and told her I think I’m about to get pulled and we decided to end the call. They also asked briefly about a text message I’d sent but I assured them I was actually on break at the time and sent it at the same time as pulling away from lay bay - which is true before the pedantics get going :wink:

what has you being on your Bluetooth mobile got to do with vosa…surely a case of overzealousbeancounteritis?? and how did they know you txt someone? have they authority to call your service provider and ask for your mobile records while your parked up?

dieseldog999:
I wonder how long it will take someone to workout that if you link your Bluetooth to your tacho at start of shift,then it wont link elsewhere at the same time…im glad I never flung my old nokia away…plug phone into ciggy lighter.bluetooth connection to tacho,and free from prying vosa eyes? would that not work?

no :wink:

dieseldog999:

dri-diddly-iver:

dcgpx:
And how did they know?

what has you being on your Bluetooth mobile got to do with vosa…surely a case of overzealousbeancounteritis?? and how did they know you txt someone? have they authority to call your service provider and ask for your mobile records while your parked up?

I have that country smell wafting in … anyone else :open_mouth:

Class 3 radios – have a range of up to 1 meter or 3 feet. Class 2 radios – most commonly found in mobile devices – have a range of 10 meters or 33 feet. Class 1 radios – used primarily in industrial use cases – have a range of 100 meters or 300 feet.

d4c24a:

dieseldog999:

no :wink:

how would it not work pray tell,when I link my headset to the phone ,I cant also connect the cd player Bluetooth as its already connected to the headset…1 at a time,so how could you connect 2 bluetooths to the 1 receiver?. if you have your old phone already twinned up to the tacho Bluetooth,then its already in use,and not free to be connected elsewhere?