Stopped by vosa.

Hi all, had my first stop by vosa on the a74(m) the other day(charming chap aggressively pointing the finger on the side of the road shouting “you in” :smiley: ) anyway, after going in they checked the trailer over and all was well but I did notice they had a handheld device and appeared to be pointing it in the units direction. Question is what was this for, talking to a lad at the yard and he said it was able to download the driver card data which I was nt convinced at. Was it just for putting the vehicle info in for the traffic light system? Thanks.

mr lordi:
Hi all, had my first stop by vosa on the a74(m) the other day(charming chap aggressively pointing the finger on the side of the road shouting “you in” :smiley: ) anyway, after going in they checked the trailer over and all was well but I did notice they had a handheld device and appeared to be pointing it in the units direction. Question is what was this for, talking to a lad at the yard and he said it was able to download the driver card data which I was nt convinced at. Was it just for putting the vehicle info in for the traffic light system? Thanks.

to the best of my knowledge vosa can’t down load remotely yet, but it is coming with the next generation of tacho heads they will have gps as well so that they can tell where you have started from ect, it’s possibly was a mobile anpr camera linked to the dvla data base so that they can check m.o.t,tax and insurance status :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

I’ve don’t know for sure what the hand held device would have been but it would not be for downloading the tachograph data.

My guess would be the same as wildfire’s, some sort of remote hand held ANPR system.

The new tacho heads now days have bluetooth on them so VOSA can see what you have done. Not sure how it wirks but this was from a cpc lession

mickyblue:
The new tacho heads now days have bluetooth on them so VOSA can see what you have done. Not sure how it wirks but this was from a cpc lession

That speaks for itself :unamused:

tachograph:

mickyblue:

That speaks for itself :unamused:

You beat me to it.

I know it used to be drivers tea room MMTM and as far as I know it still is.

So can you link your phone to the new tachos then that would save having them ear pieces

lofty82:
So can you link your phone to the new tachos then that would save having them ear pieces

No but if you are lucky, your cab may have a stereo that enables Bluetooth operation.

consilium.europa.eu/uedocs/c … 137278.pdf

The device was a magnet detector as throwing iron fillings is not done now.

mickyblue:

Your spelling is attrocious :stuck_out_tongue:

what he meant was; he was told by a lesion.

A lesion is any abnormality in the tissue of an organism

That covers most CPC instructors at wirk.

Andrejs:
http://www.consilium.europa.eu/uedocs/cms_data/docs/pressdata/en/trans/137278.pdf

so my post was more or less correct then looks like new vehicles after 2017/2018 subject to full e.u council approval will have these next generation tacho’s. couldn’t remember the date but knew I had read about it :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

wildfire:

Andrejs:
http://www.consilium.europa.eu/uedocs/cms_data/docs/pressdata/en/trans/137278.pdf

so my post was more or less correct then looks like new vehicles after 2017/2018 subject to full e.u council approval will have these next generation tacho’s. couldn’t remember the date but knew I had read about it :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Don’t hold your breath waiting for it to happen, as there will be massive outcry about data protection if ever these scanners were sold on eBay

In the mean time sales of aluminium foil, wire mesh or sheetmetal will increase. Or you could use the Ecosorb that the military use. :stuck_out_tongue:

Wheel Nut:

mickyblue:

Your spelling is attrocious :stuck_out_tongue:

what he meant was; he was told by a lesion.

A lesion is any abnormality in the tissue of an organism

That covers most CPC instructors at wirk.

Done that from my mobile you tart. Buttons are small for me fat fingers

I’ve never seen them do this but we use handheld infrared thermometers in the workshop to see if one wheel is excessively hot or cool from braking.

Own Account Driver:
I’ve never seen them do this but we use handheld infrared thermometers in the workshop to see if one wheel is excessively hot or cool from braking.

He was stood at my cab door with the device so I would nt have thought it was the above. I can only agree from earlier posts it will have been some sort of anpr handheld device.

It may be tacho related as the calibration sticker is often in the door frame.

Firstly the request “YOU IN” would have had a negative reaction from me. I would have stopped and told him in no uncertain terms that I do not respond to oreders from anyone as I am not in the armed forces and any adverse reaction after saying this would involve an actual policeman and even a visit to court if needed to seen a bit of courtesy from the afore mentioned ■■■■■■■■

Secondly … I am suprised that as advanced as you are in the UK compared to the antiquated systems we have here that they can’t trace your stop start location by checking remotely ? Even our elogs are linked to GPS and show exacty where you started and stopped, it actually gives the latitude and longitude to the foot.

And thirdly … Surely it has to be a policeman who requests you pull in ? The DOT here have DOT police who do inspections but also DOT inspectors who are not actuall police but they have no right to stop you or even issue a ticket whithout a police presence.

All of our multi temp rigids have are fitted with Transcan (or other makes) temperature monitoring equipment and the days info is downloaded wirelessly when the vehicle is within a certain range from the base unit, so I shouldn’t think it’ll be long (if not already available on the hush hush) that digi tacho info will be readily available. A series of antennas along a stretch of road (like average speed cameras) would probably do the job. I was heading West on the M4 the other day at Reading services when my phone tried to connect to a Wifi network so the technology may already be there

Pat Hasler:
Firstly the request “YOU IN” would have had a negative reaction from me. I would have stopped and told him in no uncertain terms that I do not respond to oreders from anyone as I am not in the armed forces and any adverse reaction after saying this would involve an actual policeman and even a visit to court if needed to seen a bit of courtesy from the afore mentioned [zb].

Secondly … I am suprised that as advanced as you are in the UK compared to the antiquated systems we have here that they can’t trace your stop start location by checking remotely ? Even our elogs are linked to GPS and show exacty where you started and stopped, it actually gives the latitude and longitude to the foot.

And thirdly … Surely it has to be a policeman who requests you pull in ? The DOT here have DOT police who do inspections but also DOT inspectors who are not actuall police but they have no right to stop you or even issue a ticket whithout a police presence.

His positioning on the road only gave about 700 yards warning before you have to take the slip road off into the area and at that time I was fairly close to the vehicle in front having only just been overtaken so did nt see it until late ( although there are signs warning you there are stop checks ahead) I did wonder what would happen if I carried on :smiley: