Good Morning from Eastchester ,New York

Well I’m new to this site .It’s Sunday morning and snowing hard.

I was born in Oxford and lived thereabouts until 1985 when I decided to go to America and have a look round.England was having trouble keeping me employed (Thatchers’ Britain) and although I didn’t plan it I have been here ever since.

I always liked trucks but never got my license in England ,though I was a white van man and graduated to a Leyland underweight truck (think it was a terrier).Since then I have learned to drive more responsibly :open_mouth:

Had some unrewarding jobs overhere and finally got my CDL in 1995 :smiley:

My first job was hauling cars around to various shows allover the States .It lasted for 6 years and I got to see all the sites.Unfourtunately the boss was killed in car accident in 2001 so that was the end of that.

My wife decided I should get a local job so now I am working for a bulk carrier in Queens,NYC.I like this job too.They trained me on cement and then later on fuel products. Spend my days driving a tanker.

Hope to be able to participate on the site,I particulary like the memory lane section,reading about how it was done back in the day.

If anyone gives a rats’ …this is where I work…though put on your wellies before entering the site.

mystictanklines.com :smiley:

to TruckNet UK.

welcome

Hi Longway whats took you so long to find us :laughing:

he took the LONGWAY round :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :confused: :confused:

neil46:
he took the LONGWAY round :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :confused: :confused:

But did he bump into Ewan and Charlie?

Thank you everyone. :smiley:

just looked at the website link … all the extras the drivers get ,medical dental ,life insurance etc etc…but then again its a bloody long way to commute
whats the downside ,long way round if possible could you do a diary of your week thanks and welcome to trucknet

Welcome to TruckNet UK Longwayround :smiley:

HAIRYGORILLA:
just looked at the website link … all the extras the drivers get ,medical dental ,life insurance etc etc…but then again its a bloody long way to commute
whats the downside ,long way round if possible could you do a diary of your week thanks and welcome to trucknet

Yeah I will try and do a diary.Today is a regular work day for me .I should be out doing gas(petrol) deliveries but we had 2ft of snow last night so all work got cancelled.Good job cause I just spent 3 hrs shovelling out the driveway.My neighbor is ancient so I did his too,while he watched.

Well back to work tomorrow ,3am start time.Normally do 3 or 4 loads but will let you know how it goes.I’m training a new driver Abdoulaye something or other,he is from Senegal.So makes the day go by having someone to talk to

The benefits are good at this job though we lag behind in the vacation department.I get 2 weeks a year ,12 holidays and 6 sick days.I think you get a month or so in England.Thats just how it is.

WIll let you know how the week goes.

Just seen the weather in New York on the news,they have had it bad over there.
No doubt we will get in a couple of weeks.
Mark
P.S Welcome on board.

hi longwayround.
nice to see another tanker driver on trucknet. :wink:

hello longwayround
welcome to trucknet :sunglasses: :smiley:

Longwayround:
If anyone gives a rats’ …this is where I work…

:smiley: Sure do. Good morniiiing. Those trucks look scrumptious.

Hi Longwayround, welcome to Trucknet.

Nice web site, how accurate is it? most UK firms have a web site these days most of it is corporate BS and bears little resemblence to reality.

does us all a big favour over here :smiley: DON’T send the snow ,we cant cope with 26.9 millimeters never mind inches. :cry:
welcome to trucknet :smiley:

CM:

Nice web site, how accurate is it? most UK firms have a web site these days most of it is corporate [zb] and bears little resemblence to reality.

The web site points out the good points of course.As a driver I don’t have much experience of largish companies so have nothing to compare it to.I can say that the equipment is well maintained and if I have a problem I can talk to the man who owns the company.One other good point is all the management,safety dept and some dispatchers drove trucks at some point so they know what we are up against.

Longwayround:

CM:

Nice web site, how accurate is it? most UK firms have a web site these days most of it is corporate [zb] and bears little resemblence to reality.

The web site points out the good points of course.As a driver I don’t have much experience of largish companies so have nothing to compare it to.I can say that the equipment is well maintained and if I have a problem I can talk to the man who owns the company.One other good point is all the management,safety dept and some dispatchers drove trucks at some point so they know what we are up against.

Sounds reasonable then, may be a well run outfit. If you have direct access to the man at the top and more importantly he listens, that’s a very good start. Good luck.