Gobowen

i remember north shropshire transport when my dad Frank Hanmer worked there with Harry Hayward and Jonny Husbands, dad went on to Cadwalladers at Roddington where he drove an early Scania Vabis 101 super KUX 717F he later went to work for Dennis Charles at the direct transport at Hengoed.

bestbooties:

oxo3:
[/url]

Stoke on Trent registration number,probably supplied by Beeches as they were the ERF agents for miles around this area.Sleeper cab too!Check the colour scheme against my Avatar.

It’s taken until now for the penny to drop…
Anyone who has the book,“North Staffordshire Hauliers”, can find the picture of this same truck in the chapter about The Wild Group.
Apparently this motor was an export model destined for Turkey which was smashed up en route and was returned to ERF.Vic Wild bought it and fitted the second steer axle.

bestbooties:

oxo3:
[/url]

Stoke on Trent registration number,probably supplied by Beeches as they were the ERF agents for miles around this area.Sleeper cab too!Check the colour scheme against my Avatar.

Hiya this lorry is earlier that 67 F reg its more like 62… its a bowyer cab and was built as a LFD. after been in a crash she was converted at ERF to RHD and re registered…the company was Jack Wild from stoke…this lorry was in the repair shop at sandbach when i worked there i think it maybe the only sleeper cab made by Bowyers in congleton…
John

The only LHD LV-cabbed ERF I’ve ever heard of is the one pictured below. That one was destined for Turkey so I suppose there’s a possibility that it might be the one! As I’ve put on the photo in white, it was a 1966 66cu220 (■■■■■■■ NH220) destined for Cento in Turkey. IIRC, Cento was some kind of NGO involved in supplying equipt to Iran from Turkey. Anyway, it must have been some accident if they had to convert it from a 6x4 to a Chinese-six!

EDIT: come to think of it, that looks more like an MV cab than an LV… Robert

erf001Aaa.jpg

3300John:

bestbooties:

oxo3:
[/url]

Hiya this lorry is earlier that 67 F reg its more like 62… its a bowyer cab and was built as a LFD. after been in a crash she was converted at ERF to RHD and re registered…the company was Jack Wild from stoke…this lorry was in the repair shop at sandbach when i worked there i think it maybe the only sleeper cab made by Bowyers in congleton…
John

I think the Boss man was called Vic Wild, John IIRC. Cheers Dennis.

Does anybody remember the haulage company in Gobowen many years ago? I cannot remember if it was called North Shropshire Transport or Gobowen Transport. If you have any memories or pictures please let me know.

Could this be the firm you looking for ?

I mentioned in a thread a short while ago that the Wild Group that was based in Stoke in the '60’s and early '70’s was made up of a number of firms from around the country.One firm was from Gobowen,was this the one?

it was called direct transport run from hengoed all foden they carried steel coils finished eightys.put some pics up

Hengoed as in Mid Glamorgan? If so do you know where the yard was?

Thank you nianiamh, I am pretty sure it was called Direct Transport now I have seen the picture. If you have any more pictures or can remember any of the people who worked there please let me know. Thank you.

Photobucket

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Yes it was called North Shropshire Transport and in Gobowen and owned by Mr Fred Weetman.Fleet was made up of ERF & Foden & AEC. There Depo was adjacent to the A5 trunk road.It was then taken over by the Wild group. The direct transport was owned by Mr Dennis charles Of Gobowen,North Shropshire are now running from next village of St Martins.I will try to post photo of 60s Erf or if you contact me i will post.
Nev

Thanks OXO3,North Shropshire Transport it was that became part of the Wild Group.The only pic I have of a vehicle in Wild Group colours is the 2600 DAF which is my Avatar.Not many of us had a camera in those days.

C:\Users\nev\Pictures\2008-07-02[/url]

Hello oxo3, Do you know anybody that used to work at North Shropshire Transport or do you have any old pictures?

Dereck, I have one photo of ERF chinese six artic loaded with steel,that was taken just after wilds took over.When i was a lad i used to wash the wagons when Mr Weetman owned them. My uncle Mr Jack Bright drove for them for years. Most of the drivers have passed away now. However i still know to 4 drivers still around and will ask them if any photos.I remember two new fodens being delivered to yard. WNT 118 & 119.That was 1959 (S20).When taken over I Know that Lloyds of trafford park & Gleave transport were involved. Anyway Dereck i bought the company in 1998.My firm changed from N.C.Peate & Sons to North Shropshire.I have tried to add photo to trucknet but without sucsess.If i can have your email.i will send photos.North Shropshire also had office in southampton in the early sixtees.
Nev

Hi Nev, my email address is iidelboy@yahoo.com.

Derek.