Staffordshire Farmers

My old man drove for them for 18 years out of gobowen
As a young boy I went with him started in a albian then a layland clysdale
And finished off on a freighter hard work shifting bags on and off not many
Fork trucks on a farm or at the mills at that time he has some photos of the trucks
I will get them and post on he reckons he has done more miles in revers than I have forward
In a truck my ■■■ :smiley:

i worked for Staffordshire Farmers in Lutterworth in 1980…didn’t take any photo’s though,as 1 day there was enough for me! :laughing:

They had a depot in the old transhipment sheds in Cromford canal wharf in th 50/60s.
They ran a Commer TS3 4 wheeler flat and a large van made into mobile sales that I presume ran around
the farms with hardware,tools etc.I’m sure that was a Commer to.
Mike.

thelongdrag:
They had a depot in the old transhipment sheds in Cromford canal wharf in th 50/60s.
They ran a Commer TS3 4 wheeler flat and a large van made into mobile sales that I presume ran around
the farms with hardware,tools etc.I’m sure that was a Commer to.
Mike.

They also had a depot in Shelton, Stoke on Trent.
Our next door neighbour drove an Albion Claymore 4 wheel flat for them, which I’m sure was brand new at the time (1965).
It was painted white with blue lettering, whilst their fleet were usually painted green.
He used to bring it home at night, but I could never build up the courage to ask him if he’d take me on some trips !
I can also recall a Guy 4 wheel tanker, used for carrying fuel oil for the farms.
Does anyone know what happened to the company ?

dowahdiddyman:
Just wondering if anybody has any old photos of Staffordshire Farmers trucks, went with my uncle when I was only about 8-9. He was based at the Ashbourne depot but wasnt there too long as he died of a brain hemorage when he was only 22, but it is his fault i`m truck driving now as I got bitten by the bug even though he drove a lad cabbed truck,if I remember right it was an AEC.

A cracking photo there Cliff, just how a ‘proper’ transport garage should look! :wink: Have you any more?

Pete.

windrush:
A cracking photo there Cliff, just how a ‘proper’ transport garage should look! :wink: Have you any more?

Pete.

Hi, Pete.
I do have a couple more pic’s .A Guy Otter unit and low loader, Ford Trader Tankers, and Bedford CA Pick up,and the Guy Otter unit and trailer with it’s first load
from coming out of the paint shop.

Cliff.

STAFFS1[1].jpg

STAFFS2[1].jpg

Hiya…theres a photo on the peak district site posted within the last couple of weeks of a 8 wheeler S20 Foden
i cant see the name on the door its either Sellers and Kent or Whites of Ashbourne…that lorry looks just like the
lorry Guy Harrison from Ashbourne drove in the 60 s.for staffordshire farmers infact i ve tried to contact Guys son
so he can see the photo.its quite possible a local haulier could have bought it off Staffs farmers i think someone
said it had a Wolverhampton reg ,where staffs farmers head office was the reg is ■■? EDA
if its not ex Staffs farmers its the same livery so you can see.
John

It is Whites lorry John, 456 EDA. Joe White drove a Foden tipper at Ballidon on the Hulland run after they packed the lorry’s in and before he retired finally.

Pete.

Staffordshire Farmers office/depot was Eagle Street Wolverhampton

Just wondering if anybody has any old photos of Staffordshire Farmers trucks, went with my uncle when I was only about 8-9. He was based at the Ashbourne depot but wasnt there too long as he died of a brain hemorage when he was only 22, but it is his fault i`m truck driving now as I got bitten by the bug even though he drove a lad cabbed truck,if I remember right it was an AEC.

hI Mark,
I didn’t think that AEC did an LAD cabbed lorry,they did the Ergnomatic cab.The LAD cabs were on Leyland,Albion and Dodge,never seen one on an AEC. I have seen Staffordshire Farmers lorries,but can’t remember much about them.
Cheers Dave.

Would probably been an Albion then, it was a 4 wheel flat. Was 38 years ago so my mind ain`t that clear as well, the signs of a miss-spent youth :smiley:

The Ergo cab came out in about 1966/7,but Albion were still fitting LAD cabs on some models until about 1972.
Cheers Dave.

Would have been 1971and no way was it a new truck. Remember one trip really well, getting up at 3am then going to Manchester docks to collect sacks of what I think was palm kernal. What makes it so memorable was that even now I can remember freezing to death going through Macclesfield in the early hours, seemed like we were going to another world for a nine year old.

I was doing the same sort of thing about 15 years earlier,ging to Avonmouth Cardiff or Barry docks for animal feedstuff with my Dad or another driver as a kid. Same as you early start,magical stuff as a kid.
Cheers Dave.

my father bought an ex staffordshire farmers leyland clydesdale reg ddh 206 t from bulkright of dorrington

Hiya …in the 60,s staffs farmers at ashbourne ran some 8 legger fodens a chap called Guy Harrison drove one
he lived in mayfield and parked it at the side of his house.sorry no pictures only the ones in my head
John

Hi John, My uncles name was Tony Johnson, he used to park his truck outside his house aswell, god knows how cause where he lived in Leek I wouldn`t like to even attempt it in a large van.

dowahdiddyman:
Hi John, My uncles name was Tony Johnson, he used to park his truck outside his house aswell, god knows how cause where he lived in Leek I wouldn`t like to even attempt it in a large van.

Hiya…i lived in Leek until i was 33 did you uncle have a red 6 legger Albion bulker???at one time
John