Getting on the Ladder

hi everyone, well I am new on this forum but not new at driving, for the last 18 years I have been driving buses and coaches both in the UK and Europe, I have used semi, auto,manual and 6 speed splitter boxes, I have C1-E entitlement on my licence and even though I have driven everything from mini buses to 55ft bendy buses no one wants to seem to give me a break, I have my DCPC and digi card; however I have never used a digi card only analogue tacho’s.
I am now considering doing my class C to see if it would improve my chances of getting on the ladder.
I would be most grateful to any advice please, however I do not really want to use a agency unless its a permanent position as I work full time and can not risk giving up my full time job for a few odd days.

Considering your experience with the buses I reckon you’re in a much better standing than the guys who are just starting out.

You could get your provisional licence and book some assessment drives to see how you get on. The obvious route, in your position as an experienced driver, is to go auto. You still get a full manual licence.

If you need full time work, forget agencies. Having got your licence, go door knocking; with your previous experience you may find it’s not too hard.

All the best with it, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks Pete and Radar, I have to renew my medical for my PCV next week so I will add my HGV provisional on, I have heard there is a guy not too far from me runs a training school, I think it’s called Elmete training, I have heard good reviews about him. In the meantime I have just been offerd some part time work, driving a 7.5 tonne they are all newish vehicles with sleeper cab,I could fit in with my own job as I work 4 on 4 off, so I can do one maybe two days some weeks, as I would have to treat my own job as other work.

Yes, Paul at Elmet is well worth a visit. And, for comparison, you could have a look at us if you want. (Mansfield)

Great part time opportunity by the sound of it. Good luck with that.

All the best, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks for that Pete, I will keep your details.

Radar19:
Considering your experience with the buses I reckon you’re in a much better standing than the guys who are just starting out.

I’m afraid not…

Radar19:

I thought that as well. But everywhere I said that to said the same thing. Bus experience does not count towards large vehicle driving experience. Despite the fact they are harder to manouvre than rigid lorries and you are hauling human beings you are still classed as inexperienced. Go figure :smiley:

Thank you for the welcome advice, I think it’s going to be a case of getting a lucky break, then build up my experience, I do have a few contacts in the haulage business but they all have class C+E,

DAF95XF:

Radar19:

I’m afraid not…

I found agencies quite happy to take me on when I first passed my C licence. I had 4 years driving buses already and there were plenty of clients that found that acceptable for experience.

M1cks, I find that very reassuring thank you.