General driving debate(s)?

I recently came across THIS which may be a subect or subjects for debate :question:

I found the one on steering interesting…

you really do have too much time on your hands Rog… :wink:

To look into this further, let us take the story of Roger as an example. Roger passed his driving test for cars when he was 17-years of age. Now at the age of forty-five he has decided that he is fed up with his hum-drum life working as a travelling sales representative and has gone in search of a change in career is what he needs. Wishing to now be his own boss he has embarked upon the process involved to become a self-employed driving instructor. In order to qualify for his newfound vocation, Roger needed to become a Driving Standards Agency Approved Driving Instructor, which meant he had to get his ADI badge. To get this ADI qualification, Roger had to get through three examinations. Part-1 came first and consists of answering a series of Highway Code Related questions and participating in an interactive computerised hazard perception test.

Do you have a copy of Jam Making & it’s History by JR Fish? or was it JR Hartley? :stuck_out_tongue:

Giblsa:
you really do have too much time on your hands Rog… :wink:

Agreed Lee!! :laughing: :laughing:

IMHO, the most telling quote comes before you do any clicking on the various subject areas…

As long as you are safe, you drive to a standard that is above the mimimum level required, then that is all that is necessary.

There ya go ROG, and straight from your horse’s mouth. Please don’t take it personally, but it was your horse that said it. :grimacing:

For some folks, and my guess is that it’s only a relatively small number, the advancement or development of normal correct and safe driving into a science is not of any immediate importance/interest because… err… refer to quote above. :wink:

:open_mouth: This should turn into a good debate… :smiley:

As long as you are safe, you drive to a standard that is above the mimimum level required, then that is all that is necessary.

dieseldave:
There ya go ROG, and straight from your horse’s mouth. Please don’t take it personally, but it was your horse that said it.

I wasn’t saying anything different - just points for debating

I wonder what the level is that they are referring to :question:

Tongue wedged tightly between clenched teeth - I really can’t face trying to make the bloody obvious clear yet again. This forum is littered with examples of bad driving (from car drivers mainly, but we all drive cars as well don’t we?) so plainly the necessary standard is not good enough. Approx 3500 people die every year on the roads due to the inadequacies of the DSA and government standards, but apparantly advanced (further) training is a waste of time.

gardun:
Tongue wedged tightly between clenched teeth - I really can’t face trying to make the bloody obvious clear yet again. This forum is littered with examples of bad driving (from car drivers mainly, but we all drive cars as well don’t we?) so plainly the necessary standard is not good enough. Approx 3500 people die every year on the roads due to the inadequacies of the DSA and government standards, but apparantly advanced (further) training is a waste of time.

Hi gardun, I don’t know whether “a waste of time” is the official line on the point, but it’s clearly not legally required. Maybe it ought to be, but human nature being what it is dictates that, with very few exceptions, nobody will do anything unless it’s compulsory.
The road death figures are indeed tragic, and this forum lost a valued member not that long ago to an accident, or whatever folks call them these days.

Just imagine the political fall-out for whichever party in government were to be brave or foolish enough to introduce a mandatory advanced driving test. :open_mouth:

IMHO, there’s a lot more hand-wringing to be done before anything happens, but let’s not forget that each road death however caused has vast consequences for the people’s families at the very least.

My next idea on this is to point out that the standard might well actually be good enough, but let’s not forget that we’d need proper figures for the deaths that happened due to somebody deliberately deciding to break the law rather than those simply guilty of being careless. IMHO, those who deliberately decided to break the law might continue to do so on purpose, whereas those who are simply careless might benefit from some advanced or re-training. I think I’d prefer to see the punishment fitting the crime.

This article on LEFT HAND DRIVE TRUCKS is quite a good read - perhaps they should give a handout to learner car drivers…

We close this Tip-Off page with one final note, and one that is addressed to all the lane-2 shareholders out there. Large goods vehicles and large passenger carrying vehicles are not permitted in the outside lane on a British motorway, so on a three-lane carriageway they can only use lanes 1&2. That means that the only lane they can use to overtake is the one that you have been sitting in for the last 30-miles. Please give them a thought and keep the lanes clear.

at last someone else that realises this and is passing on thier wisdom…

arghhhhhh noooooooooooo, ive fallen into the Rog trap and im reading whole pges of ■■■■■ that I already know

Giblsa:
ive fallen into the Rog trap and im reading whole pges of [zb] that I already know

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Which one of us is sadder - me for posting it or you for reading it :question: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

you can give some one 20 books on how to driver better,

you can sit someone in a class and explain how to drive better,

you can take 200 test in better driving,

but there is one thing that can and never be learned and that’s what the other driver is thinking and what he/she is going to do,

at the mo i think you can not get into other drivers heads

lets have a look at what causes bad driving

the big ones IMHO lack of concentration, drink and drugs and speed

are may be wrong but when you read that there as been an accident on the road there never say that the driver was not trained to drive properly

delboytwo:
never say that the driver was not trained to drive properly

I think just about everyone would agree with you there Del.
It’s what happens post test that is the problem.

ROG:

Thats called ‘driving’ ROG, everyone does it differently !!

Where do you find them from Rog? I am knacker from reading, sad isnt it ? Yes we all feel that, Is there something new to learn that I didnt know? Yeah too tired to think straight.

miketdt:
Where do you find them from Rog? I am knacker from reading, sad isnt it ? Yes we all feel that, Is there something new to learn that I didnt know? Yeah too tired to think straight.

Goes to show never think you know it all :laughing:

ROG:

Mike-C:
Thats called ‘driving’ ROG, everyone does it differently !!

As the driving test could be seen as a major qualification, should periodic retests or checks be done as with other types?

delboytwo:
but there is one thing that can and never be learned and that’s what the other driver is thinking and what he/she is going to do,

at the mo i think you can not get into other drivers heads

are may be wrong but when you read that there as been an accident on the road there never say that the driver was not trained to drive properly

Although there is always the unexpected surely as an experienced driver you’ll quite often predict others actions. Even if to others thier action seem completely out of the blue. It’s a sort of 6th sense developed from years of driving.

But this experience is why there is no point trying to over train new drivers as they have no practical experience to back the training up with.
So at first you need to train them with the basic skills they can build on to with experience. Once a driver has both basic training and experience then you can get them to drive to a higher level.

Sadly for many once they have passed thier test as far as they are concerned they are good drivers, not just a barely compentant driver, and therefore they know everything.