Oh dear....DSA are you to get you new drivers!

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6736587.stm

Gob smacked.

Yes for bus drivers this “may” be a good idea. LIke everything else though its all about value judgements and that is bad. Instead of going for quirky ideas why not just stick to the basics.

I.e. the highway code to death. Most new drivers couldnt even tell you what the zig zigs before a crossing are for or in what instances you can cross a solid white line.

Questions like:

“At what speed would you anticipate driving down this road?”

or

“Have you ever left the traffic lights while they have been on red?”

The answers should be “I don’t know” and “never” as without a theory what are you doing on the road?

Lets face it the driving test isnt hard enough. The LGV/PSV test is about the right level.

If I was made grand overlord / supreme ruler of the UK:

You would pass your test @ 17

Be limited to a 1.0L car till 18 … fitted with black box to record speeds
Be limited to a 1.4L car will 21 … fitted with black box to record speeds
Anything after 21

Better than asking people “are you a risk taker”.

I was driving my dads BMW 520 at 18, and I never had any problems with it, I knew how powerful it was and I knew how to drive properly.

Why should those of us that dont have a problem with big powered cars be punished because of those that let it go to their heads?

Dogmatix:
Why should those of us that dont have a problem with big powered cars be punished because of those that let it go to their heads?

Exactly. Why should we always cater for the lowest common denominator. If some 17 or 18 year old kills them self, and some of their numbnut mates, in a high powered car because they haven’t a clue, look on it as natural selection.

Its when they start killing other motorists that the problems begin.

I have no problem with a lowered nova going into a tree. Just not that good if its an 80 year olds car.

Sockpuppet:

I have no problem with a lowered nova going into a tree. Just not that good if its an 80 year olds car.

Collateral damage, sometimes there has to be innocent casualty’s who give their life for the greater good. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley: :smiley:

Coffeeholic:

Sockpuppet:

Collateral damage, sometimes there has to be innocent casualty’s who give their life for the greater good. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley: :smiley:

I am all for this but as far as limiting “collateral damage”, I would suggest a preemptive strike ,in that any chav spotted driving said Nova also twingo,clio etc should be selectivley culled for the common good :wink:

montana man:
as far as limiting “collateral damage”, I would suggest a preemptive strike ,in that any chav spotted driving said Nova also twingo,clio etc should be selectivley culled for the common good :wink:

I like your thinking. Question, do they have to be driving or can we go for a pre-emptive, pre-emptive strike and just cull 'em on sight?

Another thought comes to mind. Are the 80 year olds any safer than the 18 year olds? Maybe one taking the other out with them is a win, win situation?

Coffeeholic:
Question, do they have to be driving or can we go for a pre-emptive, pre-emptive strike and just cull 'em on sight?

:smiley: Ahh now then I see two possible options here:

1: Posession of any Chav related paraphernalia should be sufficient grounds for summary execution.

2: In leiu of the “Fox Hunting” Ban we could exchange Mr cuddly wuddly Foxys :unamused: place for Mr Chav and allow hunting of said Chav by those who possess an IQ of minimum standard :smiley: (and possibly own a Land/Range Rover or even on Horseback) :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

God Bless Charles Darwin…he had the right idea you know :wink:

montana man:
God Bless Charles Darwin…he had the right idea you know :wink:

I hear you. I’m a big, big fan of survival of the fattest. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

Hang on, that don’t sound right.

Dogmatix:
I was driving my dads BMW 520 at 18, and I never had any problems with it, I knew how powerful it was and I knew how to drive properly.

Quite right, you can’t judge people on their age.

I was the first person at my school to pass my test. The teacher grandly informed me that “You will have an accident in your first year”. :open_mouth: All she was basing her opinion on was that I was young. You can imagine then, my amusement when she ran her Audi up the back of bus about six months later! :smiley: :smiley:

I think some of the older drivers are just as dangerous. On my way home earlier I saw some old guy trying to overtake a van and put an oncoming motorist onto the grass. He had no concept of the closing speeds at all.

“Yes for bus drivers this “may” be a good idea.”

:question: :exclamation: :open_mouth: what on earth could you possibly mean by that comment :cry: :wink:

hammer:

Dogmatix:

Quite right, you can’t judge people on their age.

I was the first person at my school to pass my test. The teacher grandly informed me that “You will have an accident in your first year”. :open_mouth: All she was basing her opinion on was that I was young. You can imagine then, my amusement when she ran her Audi up the back of bus about six months later! :smiley: :smiley:

I think some of the older drivers are just as dangerous. On my way home earlier I saw some old guy trying to overtake a van and put an oncoming motorist onto the grass. He had no concept of the closing speeds at all.

To clarify the point even further, its not even about the power of the car, you still get idiots driving 1.0L cars into trees.

I am an Ex DSA Driving instructor originally many years ago on cars and later C-C+E and D.
The main problem with all drivers is that they are taught to pass a test in the case of cars the test is far too easy, in fact its the same test more or less that I passed in 1967. Yes there have been a few changes over the years like the theory test for example but the driving side of the test would be funny were it not so serious.
The LGV and PCV tests do reflect more on the changing traffic conditions over the years but are still not tough enough.
There are over 3000 people a year killed on our roads, if they were in air crashes there would be a public out cry, but it seems the political will is not there to do anything about this situation… :exclamation:

Smee:
I am an Ex DSA Driving instructor originally many years ago on cars and later C-C+E and D.
The main problem with all drivers is that they are taught to pass a test in the case of cars the test is far too easy, in fact its the same test more or less that I passed in 1967. Yes there have been a few changes over the years like the theory test for example but the driving side of the test would be funny were it not so serious.
The LGV and PCV tests do reflect more on the changing traffic conditions over the years but are still not tough enough.
There are over 3000 people a year killed on our roads, if they were in air crashes there would be a public out cry, but it seems the political will is not there to do anything about this situation… :exclamation:

This country has “car culture” which is why IMHO the law does not criminalise traffic laws. Any government would put themselves out of office if they were to change this.
The DSA are ok for basic testing - moving a vehicle relatively safely from a to b but we need a non DSA test after a certain period where the driver is ASSESSED on “real life” safe driving practices not DSA rigid routines.

One of the main problems with new drivers is because of the way they are taught everything is either black or white with no grey if you see what I mean… :question:

Smee:
One of the main problems with new drivers is because of the way they are taught everything is either black or white with no grey if you see what I mean… :question:

This is correct in many respects as to give a learner driver too many options of which a lot are based on experience will overload them hence my proposal to assess after a certain time frame post L test - but not with the DSA

ROG:

Smee:

This is correct in many respects as to give a learner driver too many options of which a lot are based on experience will overload them hence my proposal to assess after a certain time frame post L test - but not with the DSA

as long as you don’t mean the wheelshufflers :wink:

see Coffeeholics Top Gear/YouTube post :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Denis F:

ROG:

Smee:

as long as you don’t mean the wheelshufflers :wink:

see Coffeeholics Top Gear/YouTube post :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I believe you are refering to advanced driving. And no, if I was the assessor I would not expect such a high standard but I would expect the driver to have good observations, a good sense of “what if”, to be always keeping a safe distance and to be in control of the vehicle.

When I passed my RoSPA advanced driving test I was invited to give a commentary, very useful tool to check driver awareness…

Smee:
When I passed my RoSPA advanced driving test I was invited to give a commentary, very useful tool to check driver awareness…

As I do if I am advanced or DSA style driving with trainees - the DSA commentary is a bit more basic though but to ask an “average” driver to commentate would, in most cases, throw them.