Hi and

Hiya

Been lurking for a while but thought I should say hello and warn you I shall be looking to pick your brains over the coming weeks :slight_smile:

I have been a Driving Instructor for 28 years, let me just say that again…28 years. (I would like to say I have loved every moment but that would be lieing) Turned 50 last October and promised myself it would be my last year as a Driving Instructor.

So, I decided to try and gain my HGV (sorry old habits LGV) licence and get on the road. I know, abit long in the tooth to start but better late then never.

Anyway, have decided to get my provisioal entitlement activated before booking any lessons. I have noticed that it would seem the 5 day intensive course is the norm?I am a little bit concerned as I know from my own experiance that some people take longer and some take less. Also, I was hopig to do it over a few weekends and then take the test as in the present economical climate I wouldnt beable to have a week off anyway.

I think its most proberly best not to mention that Iam an Instructor so my Instructor dosent have to high an expectation from me, would hateto let him down :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :blush:

Hi Bartman that makes two of us I’ve been an instructor for 10 years will still be doing a bit. Have just passed the LGV theory and a HPT “again” having been made to do it post qualifying as an ADI.

The problem I’m finding is getting a “professional” instructor some good ones post on here but are out of my reach. :laughing:

Don’t think there will be much scope for a job when we pass but we can live in hope.

Hi welcome to the mad house

As redrorry has said there are a few instructors who do post on here that can give you a lot of advice & help

The 1st thing to do would be look at all the training providers in your area can be found in your local yellow pages phone them up & ask to visit each 1 & see how you feel with each 1 of them as im sure you are aware that some people get on better with others

You will have to book & pass your medical before you can book your lesson you could go for an assessment drive with said provider or a few in your area also it may allow you to drive several different types of truck

The normal is 5 days intense as this is advised but an assessment might say different some have had 3 days some 8 days dont think you would benefit from doing it over several weekends also would prob cost a lot more the test is more expensive on a Sat than during the week

Redrorry have you tried ritchies in glasgow as they have a good rep on here as well as in that area

Bartman:
Hiya

I have been a Driving Instructor for 28 years, let me just say that again…28 years. (I would like to say I have loved every moment but that would be lieing) Turned 50 last October and promised myself it would be my last year as a Driving Instructor.

We used to have someone who posted on here as “26 years an LGV Trainer” Not sure whether that gave them any credence or not!

Hi. Just a couple of points. IMO there’s no reason not to complete your training at the weekends. There’s been mention of “LGV Instructor 26years” - - I can give him more than a dozen on top! But it’s not a competition. My point is that, in the good old days, it was quite normal to have a lesson a week and then take the test. The currently accepted “norm” is intensive training over 5 days. As has been mentioned, no 2 people are the same. Fact is that some will do it comfortably in that period and some will have to work harder and perhaps not pass with as few minor marks. Beware the assessment route. It has a purpose - and that is to show you that you will be happy to train with that particular trainer. An accurate training duration can never be given as it’s impossible to calculate the learning rate of the candidate. It’s also quite possible for a candidate to start off slowly and then pick up more quickly than anticipated. Also vice versa.

The normal words of caution including beware of brokers, always visit the training centre etc should be heeded. You will be aware that there is no compulsory registration for LGV instructors so it can be difficult to suss out the best places to go. Recommendation is always best and there’s a list of recommended trainers on this site. There is also the DSA list of accredited training centres on dsa.gov.uk/category.asp?cat=324

The very best of luck with your training, Pete :laughing: :laughing: