Geen parkeergelenheid voor uw vrachtwagen hier mate!

Try pronouncing all that when you’re ■■■■■■■ Roughly translated as ‘no parking of your truck here’.

Over here in Holland, it’s a regular sight to see the EE’s parked up for the night on the slip roads in and out of the services, even extending out onto the hard shoulder of the motorway itself sometimes. It’s a particular problem at Hazeldonk services near the Belgian border. However the past two nights, the Dutch ‘Politie’ have been out in force moving all the buggers. Each time I’ve gone past, there have been grumpy drivers having animated conversations with the cops, while others were starting their engines and moving off to find somewhere else to kip.

It seems a bit of a pointless exercise though. Unless they dish out fines, they’ll all be back again next week. Then again, maybe they were dishing out fines which was the reason for the arm waving that I saw.

Happens a lot here in the UK too and not just EE drivers, plenty of English drivers too.

I saw a Stobrats on the m4 the other week as I was on my way to Tesco Reading parked up on hard shoulder of slip road curtains closed.

Did my delivery and headed back along the M4 to the A34 and he was there curtains open and Sat in an old bill car behind his truck having a conversation no doubt about laws of the road.

I was surprised because it’s the first time personally I have seen police taking action against a truck parked on hard shoulder of slip road for services.

It makes me wonder why so many drivers think it is OK to park on the shoulder of the slip road of the services. Unless its the old well others do it so it must be OK.

If you can’t park at the services try the next one or next junction for somewhere to park, and if you don’t have driving time or working time then you haven’t planned your time very well. Worse case scenario drive on to find suitable parking place and do a print out and explanation on back.

One of the reasons I won’t work for a company that tries to push you to the limits all the time.

I’ll always take my break by 4 hrs 15 mins if I am that close to driving time giving me an extra 15 mins to find somewhere if I needed to.

I think its unfair to blame the drivers to be honest, because UNLESS the services are full, they almost have no choice.

Germanys the worst, struggle to find a spot after 5pm most days.

Concretejim:
I think its unfair to blame the drivers to be honest, because UNLESS the services are full, they almost have no choice.

Why is it unfair to blame the drivers?

The role as a professional HGV driver means it is your responsibility to know the laws and regs and to plan your day and driving times etc to leave you time to find a suitable parking place.

simcor:

Concretejim:

Why is it unfair to blame the drivers?

The role as a professional HGV driver means it is your responsibility to know the laws and regs and to plan your day and driving times etc to leave you time to find a suitable parking place.

Spot on.

Only the amateurs, the clueless and most of all the office ■■■■■■■ that run to the final minute.
You should be fined a monumental amount for taking a break on the hard shoulder and then have both your kit and your licence removed permanently.