Gear change sticking/stiff RENAULT PREMIUM

Has anyone come accross this problem with a Renault Premium:

The gear stick is very stiff when changing range (high/low or low/high). It’s a pain because as it is stiff and sticking the gear lever does not spring back to centre position so in 'nudging it accross it will tend to swap back into to wrong range, you have to be very careful.

Now it has done this before over a year ago and I lubricated the workings under the rubber gater and it eased up over the course of an hour or so. However it’s up to it’s tricks again and seems to not want to ease off. I stress that the gearchange itself is fine, it’s only when you knock it over between ranges that the lever is sticking and needs ‘nudging’ back accross (nudge too hard and accross the range it goes again), so can anyone tell me how to properly solve this problem?

Thanks.

I would probably disconnect the cables at the gearbox end and see if it’s still stiff. If so check the cables as they’re bound to eventually wear or get full of filth and start to sieze up.

Paul

repton:
I would probably disconnect the cables at the gearbox end and see if it’s still stiff. If so check the cables as they’re bound to eventually wear or get full of filth and start to sieze up.

Paul[/quote

Yeah, makes sence Paul thanks. I have had the truck 7 years and I have never changed the cables, I have to admit that I do suspect the cables but thought that perhaps it might simply be the heavy spring and nylon bushes on the end of the gear stick. It’s winter, it’s cold and I want as little hassle as possible… maybe I’ll let Renault deal with it after I’ve checked them.

thanks for reply.

volvos do exactly the same new set of cables and she should be flying again.

mikey123:

Thanks, yeah it is looking that way, it will be nice to get it sorted. Thanks for the reply.

Cheers.

mikey123:

they use the same running gear if i remeber right, an yeh volvo gear cable’s do the same, & if you have some mechanicle knowledge they arnt bad to change

truckers boy:

mikey123:

they use the same running gear if i remeber right, an yeh volvo gear cable’s do the same, & if you have some mechanicle knowledge they arnt bad to change

Thanks ‘truckers boy’ to be honest it’s not the mechanical knowledge that’s the problem… I’m getting old and tired, weekends are for resting so it’s motivation that’s the problem, I’ll let Renault do it … lazy or what?

Cheers.