Renault premium auto gears sometimes won't select

Hi All.ive got a Renault premium auto at work with an intermittent problem.Sometimes when you go to select a gear it just stays in neutral and you have to turn it off and back on to get it to work.It also flashes up on dash gearbox output reduced.Can someone help me out as I’ve not done much with these boxes.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Quick and dirty fix for most Renault gearbox problems is to activate the battery isolator by clicking the door lock switch on the fob twice and leaving it off for ten minutes or so.

Problem is as follows - Renault.

Dont know about Renault but some use “fingers” to detect gear selection and they get a bit weak over time and if the computer does not know what gear is selected it freezes and just selects neutral.
Used to buy new finger box that works on a cam system on the selector housing and this cured it.But these “auto” shift systems are a pain in the arse.

Harry Monk:
Quick and dirty fix for most Renault gearbox problems is to activate the battery isolator by clicking the door lock switch on the fob twice and leaving it off for ten minutes or so.

+1

Ken.

Does it lurch when you pull away when it does eventually go into gear?
I had this problem with a premium a couple of years back and it was a ‘module’ in the side of the gearbox that was knackered.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

F-reds:

LOL :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Hi damoq.No it doesn’t lurch or anything like that.it just won’t select any.it only does it a couple of times a day but once it’s switched off and restarted they select fine and it drives smoothly.

F-reds:

VOLVO gearbox

Steve-o:

F-reds:

VOLVO gearbox

Its the Tower of London for you two gents ,how dare you mention Renault and Volvo together , the self same problem on a Volvo I/shift box which is fitted to both makes would never !!! have been given a mention , but because its a Renault ■■?, just the badge snobs at work .

shugg:

Steve-o:

F-reds:

VOLVO gearbox

Its the Tower of London for you two gents ,how dare you mention Renault and Volvo together , the self same problem on a Volvo I/shift box which is fitted to both makes would never !!! have been given a mention , but because its a Renault ■■?, just the badge snobs at work .

That’s this thread turned into a five page marathon then…

shugg:

Steve-o:

F-reds:

VOLVO gearbox

I once drove a Premium. Actually quite liked it. I didn’t tramp to be fair though.

Quinny:

Harry Monk:

+1

Ken.

+2!

Tramped in my 460 Premium auto for 5yrs.
Never let me down once.
Had 2 visits to dealers for sensors to be changed & 1 for an air valve but that was it.
Went like a rocket and oulled like a train. Got quite attatched to the old girl.
Miss her now tbh.

If it does happen mainly when warm, try to change the relais.
The relais will get extremely warm, when in use and seize to operate.
Its a cheap and easy thing to try, Volvo’s I-shift have the same problem.

Most times when you switch it of and wait a little, it will work again, but it will come back.
If replacing the relais doesn’t solve it, the other thing to check is the wiring from the selector, see that is doesn’t rub ore nipped somewhere, damaging the cable.

FLIP:

Quinny:

Harry Monk:

+1

Ken.

+2!

Never let me down once.
Had 2 visits to dealers for sensors to be changed & 1 for an air valve but that was it.
Went like a rocket and oulled like a train. Got quite attatched to the old girl.
Miss her now tbh.

Yep not bad trucks at all. Especially the later version.

muckles:

FLIP:

Quinny:

Harry Monk:

+1

Ken.

+2!

Never let me down once.
Miss her now tbh.

I had a 420 dci. It wouldn’t pull you out of bed, but it just wouldn’t break either.

Kerragy:

muckles:

FLIP:
+2!

Never let me down once.
Miss her now tbh.

I had a 420 dci. It wouldn’t pull you out of bed, but it just wouldn’t break either.

I worked for a company that had a few 385’s to 420’s that had done 1million plus Kms on full weight work onto building sites, farms and forests. They were tatty, but kept running.
Bloody things :laughing: