volvo I shift

volvo I shift anyone had any probs with them

yes kept dropping into neutral whilst travelling, turned out to be the abs sensors.

I’m not sure if the gearbox in a Renault Premium is an I shift or Renault’s own box of cogs. But assuming it is an I shift, I had a little bit of trouble with the one I drive a few months back. Sometimes wouldn’t select gears from neutral, gear changes would go in with a heavy clunk, shuddering when pulling away and sometimes no drive at all when trying to pull away. Went in to Renault and was back 2 hrs later as good as new. Apparently it was something called a module on the side of the gearbox that needed replaced. Never been any bother since then.

Yes, module fell off the attachment to the seat, wouldn’t go into reverse 2m from the bay resulting in a 2hr wait for Volvo to come out & fix it, way overrated I think.

Pimpdaddy:
Yes, module fell off the attachment to the seat, wouldn’t go into reverse 2m from the bay, way overrated I think.

Your the only driver i know who thinks that about the ishift,even massive scania fans agree its the best auto gearbox,i reckon your just trying to nit pick and be different :unamused: :unamused:

seth 70:
Your the only driver i know who thinks that about the ishift,even massive scania fans agree its the best auto gearbox,i reckon your just trying to nit pick and be different :unamused: :unamused:

Im just sharing my experience, there must be something that box does that I don’t know about. I’m not a truck driver anymore anyway:grin:

Have a magnum with volvo engine and auto box and am waiting outside the doctors now.

First half hour it may or may not select a gear, when it does get going it may or may not change down or allow the selection of neutral!

no

Had an 04 with 2.2 million kms on it, the one thing that never caused any problems was the ishift.

damoq:
I’m not sure if the gearbox in a Renault Premium is an I shift or Renault’s own box of cogs. But assuming it is an I shift, I had a little bit of trouble with the one I drive a few months back. Sometimes wouldn’t select gears from neutral, gear changes would go in with a heavy clunk, shuddering when pulling away and sometimes no drive at all when’s trying to pull away. Went in to Renault and was back 2 hrs later as good as new. Apparently it was something called a module on the side of the gearbox that needed replaced. Never been any bother since then.

I think the mechanical side is pretty much the same, but some software differences. I had a similar thing with my ishift, spoke to the guys who look after our trucks when it started to play up, he said something about the selector module or clutch was on the way out. Nearly got it home, but ended up getting towed back from Calais.

I’ve heard that sometimes the gear lever internals can break, so you can’t select a gear, and I’ve been told that selecting gears with low air can cause problems in the box itself.

Pimpdaddy:
way overrated I think.

Having driven the latest offering in auto boxes from MAN and a DAF variant a few years ago and both the ishift and optidrive, I think both the Volvo and Renault versions deserve the praise the get.

Pimpdaddy:
Yes, module fell off the attachment to the seat, wouldn’t go into reverse 2m from the bay, way overrated I think.

I never thought I would agree with Pimpdaddy but my experience with I/shift was similar , the company I work for are a very large international logistics operator , they first introduced Volvos into the fleet in the form of FM 12 ( 480 ) with a manual gearbox and they were bomb proof , I really cant recall any breakdowns , they were retuned after 3years followed by FM12 (420 ) with I /shift , they were probably among some of the first in the country . They turned out to be very troublesome mostly connected to the gearbox , tow-ins were almost a weekly occurrence. They were replaced by Iveco Straliss and trust me they have been less trouble than the Volvos they replaced . Volvos are very but very good motors but if the same problems had been experienced by Merc Axors / Daf CFs etc some people would have been treating the problem like a win on the lottery , I always find it strange that when you have problems like this with a so called trendy / ■■■■ motor like this you never hear about it and just look the other way . In conclusion bring back manual gearboxs !!! .

Thanks for all the info lads,

fuse:
volvo I shift anyone had any probs with them

Never

bazstan009:
Have a magnum with volvo engine and auto box and am waiting outside the doctors now.

First half hour it may or may not select a gear, when it does get going it may or may not change down or allow the selection of neutral!

Clutch release bearing was cause of selection problems.

The main problem for release bearing failures is drives leaving them in gear for an excessive time… Like going to open the back doors to back on a bay. Or going to book in at a gatehouse while still left in gear. That’s why the realise bearings fail. The computer is just like the driver holding his foot on the clutch. The realease bearing gets a hammering. Just put in in neutral. Never had a problem with I shift or Renaults version opticruise. It’s Volvo’s gearbox in the Renault. But with Renaults electronics. Just like the engine.

Fitter said the same but it is not something I do, more than a few seconds and it gets put out of gear.
Truck do have 765000k.

bazstan009:
Fitter said the same but it is not something I do, more than a few seconds and it gets put out of gear.
Truck do have 765000k.

With that mileage on you can expect wear & tear. We have them failing at our place with under 200000 k’s on. It’s an unnecessary expense. If you leave an Actros in gear for any length of time it puts itself into neutral. Think it wouldn’t be a bad idea if Volvo/Renault did the same.

I think they are ■■■■

They would rather crawl up a steep hill at 30mph / tickover revs than drop a cog or two and fly up it

You can’t “Kick down” if you need it for whatever reason without changing to manual

It takes the driving out of the job and makes your description more like “Steering wheel attendant”

trubster:
I think they are [zb]

They would rather crawl up a steep hill at 30mph / tickover revs than drop a cog or two and fly up it

You can’t “Kick down” if you need it for whatever reason without changing to manual

It takes the driving out of the job and makes your description more like “Steering wheel attendant”

I’ve never driven one so I have no relevant experience on how to get the best out of them, but I will ask; do they not give you the option to drive in manual? I can’t remember the last time I drove my Merc in full auto, it’s manual all the time. Incidentally it’s always in the top two or three for fuel consumption too.