Gaining my licence

hi there everyone

just woundered if you could give me your advise on something.

im after going on the road driving class 1 (artics) and my work has offered to put me through my licences both class 2 and class 1 but i have to stay wiv them for 3 years, otherwise i will have to pay.
if i do that then that means i take a drop in money as forklift truck drivers are on more money than class 1 drivers, for some backward reason its stupid.

anyway i found this training compony near me and its £1200 for my calss 2 through them theory test and test incluided i think., if i pass my class 2 through this training compony you get you class 1 test for free, if i do that i could possibaly earn more money, but £1200 is a lot of dosh to fork out especially wen i have got to young kids,

any advise please it would be a greate help to me making my desision

thanks dally
please any advise would be much appreciated

Id go for the company scheme.

If after a couple of months of doing it you find you cant cope with the drop in pay or just dont like the job you can always jack it in and move one somewhere else.
These firms normally get you to pay a percentage reduced by the amount of the 3 year period you have worked. Whilst you’d have to pay you would still have a CL1 licence to show for it, also if you work for a large firm they probably get a big discount for the training so you could end up paying less than you would if you went as a private individual.

If you go the pay it yourself route you could well end up paying the £1200 and then fail, which is £1200 with nothing to show for it. the training scheme you describe sounds like Sterling LGV, who dont have the greatest reputation for the quality of their teaching.

So if your company pays then you leave, you pay for the training, which is no different for payng for it yourself anyway. :wink: Consider it an intrest free loan if you like! :laughing:

NB. the reason many forkies get paid more is there are less of them, so it’s supply and demand. They pay good money to attract people to the job. Money isnt every thing though, i think i’d prefer being out on the road than being stuck in a warehouse all day.

thankyou very much dennissw1 for the reply

and to be honest the way you put it makes it alot easier to decide
it acctually made alot of sense to me
i think i will go for the compony scheme

and just incase you were woundering it was sterlin

thanks again much appreciated

happy new year

My advice would be let your work place pay for
your training as royal mail paid for 3 test for my
uncle to do his training and he failed them and
returned back to his current position. I am not
trying to put you off I am saying If they pay for 3
test like royal mail did and you fail you have not
lost anything as you would have gained valuable
experience and you might pass the next one even
if you have to pay for it yourself. And if you pass
through work you will have a job with them so you
will be learning and earning untill you have enough
money to pay the cost of the training back.

If you choose to pay for your own training I would not
rush into handing any money over to this company
untill you find out about the company as you dont want
to get ripped off. I am sure some other trucknet members
could advise you better on training companies in your
area and know the company near you.

if i do that then that means i take a drop in money as forklift truck drivers are on more money than class 1 drivers

thats quite worrying :open_mouth:

you may be working a 8 hour shift now and going home, but as a class 1 driver you could end up doing nearly double the hours for less pay.

instead of jacking you might give it ago you dont like it and then go back to driving a flt till your 3 years is up

i can understand why they cant get drivers though if there paying less then flt rates

jon

My advice would be to find out as much as you can before you make any decision. Find out how much you would earn as a class 1 driver how many hours you would be expected to work etc, etc.
Then enquire with more than one training firm in your area as prices and ability to teach can vary a lot. Another thing to take into consideration is the cost of retests if you fail. The cost of the test may only be about £90 but you have to hire the truck and instructor so it can easily rise to over £300 a time.
If you take time to read some of the posts on here you will find a lot of people don’t pass first or even second time.
Then make your decision
Good Luck

thanks to everyone who has replied to me

youve all given me a greate idea on wot to do

do u think havin a shunt licence will help me in any way?

Definately go for the company paid scheme. Let someone else pay :slight_smile: As Dennisw1 said if you do leave after a few months the amount you pay back will be on a reducing % and you wouldn’t be leaving for less money at another job anyway, would you :wink: So you’d have your class 1, a job driving artics, and if you left you’d be in a job with more money. A win/win situation I think :slight_smile:

please read my article about hte company you talk about. nothing in life is for free. the course for class 2 cost £700 so how are you getting it for free at £1200