Decision time

Hi all
I currently drive class 2 for a local firm on pallet multi drop. They have offered to put me through my class 1 in September with the proviso that I sign up to stay with them for two years! I’m forty eight and I’m starting to get fed up with the manual offloading of pallets of slabs/turf etc into private addresses and really want to get into class 1, this way will save me the cost of putting myself through the training but I’m just a little worried that even if I get my class 1 they may keep me on the pallet network stuff as they admit that it’s not so easy to get/keep decent class 2 drivers!
Should I try and get the funds together to pay for myself or take up their offer? The good thing is all of their units are really nice Volvos that are no older than 64 plates! This means that at least I’ll get in decent kit from the start.
Opinions welcome guys and girls.

Life is about negotiation mate, and your employer has put an offer on the table that suits them.
I think 2 years is a long tie in, and if you are a good, reliable and safe pair of hands, you maybe have some bargaining chips…
My next move if I liked the firm, would probably be to go back to them and agree to a 1 year tie in! :smiley:

They’re not likely to pay for your training and leave you on class 2. The “tie in” agreement may well work on a reducing balance. This means that if your training cost £1200 (for easy arithmetic) then this would reduce at £50 per month for each month you work. So it would cost £600 to leave after 12 months. That’s not a lot in the great scheme of things.

The huge advantage to their offer is that you will almost certainly get to drive class 1 and this is invaluable experience.

But some folks prefer to fund it themselves and be independent. It all depends on what makes you most comfortable and the availability of funds.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

I agree with Pete. They wouldn’t train you for it then not use you on it.

If you can fund it yourself, would you have any work lined up?

So if the answer to either of those is “no” surely it’s a win win situation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Take the offer,get your class one then leave(if you like)…these sort of agreements are completely unenforceable,they just like you to think they are.

xichrisxi:
Take the offer,get your class one then leave(if you like)…these sort of agreements are completely unenforceable,they just like you to think they are.

A bit tricky when they deduct the cost from your last wage packet, leaving the ball/issue in your court…
If the firm is good then do it, but it doesn’t hurt to try and negotiate! :wink:

these sort of agreements are completely unenforceable,they just like you to think they are.

True - - unless you sign an agreement to the effect that the money will be taken from your final pay. If paid monthly, there will be enough to pay the debt from the last pay packet - especially if there is holiday pay involved.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks for the advice guys. I like the firm and 99% of the people there. The offer is a decreasing one, so like Pete says if I stay a year then the amount to pay back would reduce. As I said, the wagons are all pretty new Volvos and all of the trailers are in good nick so the kit is decent. Another class 2 driver has just passed c+e this way (last week) and I asked him what they had said to him regarding artic work. He has already been out on a couple of jobs to some rdc’s as a gentle lead in, because it’s holiday season he is still covering class c also. Once holidays are over he will be going over to artics as a day driver with the increase in pay to suit. I think I’d be nuts not to go this route so that’s the way I’m going. Thanks again guys.

neil2402:
Thanks for the advice guys. I like the firm and 99% of the people there. The offer is a decreasing one, so like Pete says if I stay a year then the amount to pay back would reduce. As I said, the wagons are all pretty new Volvos and all of the trailers are in good nick so the kit is decent. Another class 2 driver has just passed c+e this way (last week) and I asked him what they had said to him regarding artic work. He has already been out on a couple of jobs to some rdc’s as a gentle lead in, because it’s holiday season he is still covering class c also. Once holidays are over he will be going over to artics as a day driver with the increase in pay to suit. I think I’d be nuts not to go this route so that’s the way I’m going. Thanks again guys.

Hope it goes well Neil… :smiley:

Others should take note from the above, that getting a start driving VANS at a place that also runs real trucks :wink: can yield better long term results than getting locked into a VAN only operation…

neil2402:

When I started yonks back this was the pattern I took. I was class 2 for an agency that owned the training school. I wanted to leave and they offered to put me through artic for a year decreasing bond. I ended up leaving after 10 months I think it was and paid off my dues with good tidings and all that. It works well if both sides play by the rules. Enjoy