Hi, looking for some help, new to forum

Hi all, hope you are all well.

I have decided to leave my 12 years of bus driving and go for a Class 2 licence, progressing afterwards to Class 1.

I have approached many companies offering basic training and other companies that provide advanced training and a job at the end of it.

I found that the basic training companies are charging around £1100, whereas the ones that say they work with companies and get you into a job are at around £1400.

I have been told by the bigger training companies that I should go with them as they work with the bigger logistic companies
and having the extra training guarantees me a years experience in 4 days therefore a better chance of a job at the end of it.
They also say that going with the smaller companies means you will end up going around a yard with cones etc and when you pass the hgv companies won’t touch you as you are classed as inexperienced and they won’t let you anywhere near their million pound vehicle.

The first thing I need to ask you experienced chaps is… Is this a load of cr*p and them trying to get more money off you, or is it the truth?

The guy on the phone seemed very pushy to get me to go with his larger company, so I am wandering whether to go with a smaller company for less money, or pay out more for the other?

I really need some guidance on this please as there are so many companies out there and I have no idea which ones are good and which ones are bad?

All I want is to get GOOD training with a job at the end of it.

If anybody could help, or recommend some good advice I would really appreciate it.

Best Regards.

Jon.

Are the ones offering a job what we call brokers or middlemen who do not have their own vehicles but take your money and pass you onto a real training school? - that usually means less training for more money because the brokers want their cut for doing what you could do in the first place

Always visit a few schools before parting with any money and pay them face to face

Please read all the stickies in this forum especially the LGV TRAINING TIPS one - link in my signature below

Its also a good idea to read recent posts by newbies who have passed in the last year for a realistic view of the real job prospects for a newbie

Rog has given you good advice.

These ‘bigger training companies’ are not trainers at all - they are brokers. The sell at a high price to you and then place you with the cheapest training provider they can find.

Do not part with your money until you have met the person who will train you and asked them plenty of pertinent questions. You should visit a few trainers, see their vehicles, see their set-up and then come back here for the opinions of experienced people.

Keep right away from brokers - they are parasites.

Good luck with your plans.

Alan

Be very wary of pushy people when it comes to you parting with money.

Sounds like you’ve found this site just in time, there’s loads of guys on here with horror stories about brokers etc and you can guess that that is just the tip of the iceberg. 90% of people who are ripped off are too embarrassed to say anything to anyone about it. :frowning:

As far as I know, the LGV/HGV training industry is unregulated in places so the broker could well just be some guy sat in his bedroom on his computer with no more ability to teach you themselves or find you a job afterwards than my cats.

Take some time, read some threads (especially the ones that Rog has recommended). If a couple of hours saves you a ton of cash as the result of you avoiding being scammed you’re onto a winner already.

Very few training providers will have their prices listed on their websites but a quick non-committal phone call should get you those. Also worth asking about pass rates IMO.

andygt4:
Also worth asking about pass rates IMO.

The trouble is that the answers you get re pass rates are unlikely to be consistent and cannot be verified

The DSA pass rates they list do not state how many passed 1st, 2nd, 3rd time etc

If all the trainees passed the test eventually then that is a 100% trainee pass rate !!

Having been a trainer for more than 30 years there is a reality about this. Decent good trainers know how to help you pass the tests. It’s not that difficult to pass but VERY easy to fail.

As regards employment afterwards generally trainers are not in that business although we have all helped many into work. No proper training course comes with a guarantee of work. If someone says it does ask for the name of the employer.

Separate the 2 issues because they are very different. This is the forum to find a trainer, not an employer.

Having been a trainer for more than 30 years there is a reality about this. Decent good trainers know how to help you pass the tests. It’s not that difficult to pass but VERY easy to fail.

As regards employment afterwards generally trainers are not in that business although we have all helped many into work. No proper training course comes with a guarantee of work. If someone says it does ask for the name of the employer.

Separate the 2 issues because they are very different. This is the forum to find a trainer, not an employer.

Absolutely correct. Make sure you visit the trainer before booking unless you have a rock solid recommendation. Cheapest is rarely best so dont go on price alone.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Many thanks for all your comments, much appreciated.

Will have a good read and will let you all know in due course.

Anyone had any dealings with a company called HGV express training in London?

These are the ones who seemed pushy, keep leaving me messages and said they worked with big employers?

I was considering them, but I’m hoping some of you could shed some light on who they are and any good?

Could anybody recommend any companies in South West who are really worth going with?

Jessandjon:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=30889 - check out the second post

Why the South West :question: Ok so it may be your area but a lot on here did travel out of area for our training my self included I went from the North East to Chelmsford

There are many different reasons for this

Do Wiseman dairies have any depots in your area Jon? Might be worth your while having a word with them.

Driveroneuk:
Do Wiseman dairies have any depots in your area Jon? Might be worth your while having a word with them.

Are they taking on then at the moment?

I do believe there is a depot nearby yes.

Why is it worth speaking to them specifically then?

They run a large rigid fleet as well as C+E and are not averse to taking on new drivers.

They may also train you, but you would of course then be expected to stay with them for perhaps 2 years or buy yourself out.

I don’t have specific or up to date information, so suggest you give local depot a call.

Driveroneuk:
They run a large rigid fleet as well as C+E and are not averse to taking on new drivers.

They may also train you, but you would of course then be expected to stay with them for perhaps 2 years or buy yourself out.

I don’t have specific or up to date information, so suggest you give local depot a call.

Many thanks, appreciate that information.

Will give them a call early next week.

Anybody else know of any companies in South West who may be taking on new drivers, or have in the past?

Very difficult knowing who to approach first in regards to training and employment.

Am I right in saying to stay away from agencies ideally?

Jessandjon:

Yes you are.

Many people on here will tell you it’s the only path for a noob like yourself. :open_mouth:

It isn’t. It’s the lazy way. If you’re lazy then it might be the only option available to you.

However, if you’re willing to invest a little bit of time and effort into getting a proper job, then a proper job you will have.

Contraflow:
However, if you’re willing to invest a little bit of time and effort into getting a proper job, then a proper job you will have.

PS. This doesn’t involve a telephone or a computer.

It involves your legs or a car…

Contraflow:

Contraflow:

as op doesn’t have a lgv licence yet it will involve a lot of leg work to get a job, op is asking about lgv training

green456:
as op doesn’t have a lgv licence yet it will involve a lot of leg work to get a job, op is asking about lgv training

Is he?

Jessandjon:

:sunglasses:

green456:

Contraflow:

Contraflow:

I wouldn’t believe any company that said they’d get you a job after training unless it was a haulage company offering a training to get drivers.
so forget using the phone and internet looking for trainers, ask around for ones with a good reputation, many also do buses so you could ask around where you are. Then go and talk to them face to face.
If and when you get your licence as Contraflow said, don’t just call a few agencies, go and see haulage companies big and small, knock on doors and ask them. You probably won’t get a job straight away, if you don’t get a job after a few months go and see them again. Agencies have their place, but really agencies should be employing experienced drivers who can turn up do the job.

[quote=“Jessandjon”

[/quote]
They are a broker and should be avoided at all costs. I was almost suckered in by their bs but luckily I found this forum in time and found a decent local firm. I got my cat c, c+e and CPC all done for the same price hgv express quotes me initially for just my cat c. They are just a firm looking to make money out of new drivers. And they cannot in any way guarantee work after passing.