Funding

Dispite cornwall being the only county to get objective 1 funding in the uk I am having no luck at the moment in getting any help funding my LGV training. The JC have said that they might help but dont hold your breath even if you have a job offer. Anybody have any ideas? , We have companys in the bristol area advertising for drivers in our local Penzance newspapers. :imp:

I think Swift Service do driver training but you have to sign a contract. I don’t know if there is a depot near you, the biggest used to be Northampton.

Try contacting your Local Enterprise Council or BusinessLink .

Whilst unlikely to be able to fund you directly, they should be able to put you in touch with the right people.

The Learning and Skills Council for Devon and Cornwall should also be able to help you, as well.

Another alternative is to contact your local supermarket rdc and ask them if they’ve implemented a young driver’s scheme and/or NVQ training for their drivers. If they have, ask them who the funding provider and/or training body is.

HTH, good luck.

I was doing agency work for Semi-Chem t’other day. They have just bought over M&S Toiletries and are making a mess of their Scottish depot (but that’s another matter).

So I gets talking to a young lad in there who is supposed to be on this Young Drivers Training Scheme thing, but will they let him out on the road? He’s lucky if he gets to reverse a wagon up to the bays every now and then. Me thinks they are taking the iss out of this young chap.

Not sure how this scheme works, but it sounds like some companies might be doing it to help pay wages. :frowning:

Found these people in Thursday’s paper

CLEARSTONE

they run with the career development loan scheme

give them a buzz and ask

Jules[/url]

have got details of clearstone scanned and can send details via email if you so wish

or this thread may help trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1013 if you havnt already seen it

I gave clearstone a buzz today to see what they said, basically:

As I am in full time employment the only real option for funding is the career development loan - I wasn’t too keen on this option as the last time I tried to get one I was turned down (although I was agency driving at the time so maybe I’ll do better this time)

If I was unemployed I could be eligible for other grants but they reckoned on 6 months or so just to sort out the money.

What they claim to do is sort out your training and find you a job place, they’re sending me their info pack so I’ll let you know what happens

Jules

Thanks to everyone , Have been away so a bit late getting back to you all , once again thanks for the advice .