Funding for HGv training?!?

hello all, i am looking for help trying to find funding for my HGV license but seem to be hitting walls ever turn i take! I have asked the job centre for help but as i am on a work programme, they are saying i’m not their problem. I’ve asked around different charitable organisations and people like the “princes trust” but no such luck. I’ve got a letter saying “Yes you can have work if you get the license!” but still hitting barriers!
Does anyone know of a way i can get the funds together, or even some of the funds.
Does anyone know of any local Shropshire Hauliers who would be willing to pay for my training and then take the money back from my wages. I don’t mind nights out, days, nights or weekends.

Get a loan or Save up like the rest of us. Good luck

mickevans1957:
I have asked the job centre for help but as i am on a work programme, they are saying i’m not their problem.

They would’ve been your only realisitc option I’m afraid. I can’t imagine companies in this economic period willing to invest as there’s a lot of drivers looking for work unfortunatelty.

Good luck with it ,but i will tell you funding thru the job centre is available . We have a girl just started or about to be who was funded upto c+e level .
Not sure we have any work for her to be honest tho :unamused:

cheers Mike
I

where you live has there been any nationalised industries (coal/steel ■■?) closed in the past years?. i tried to get funding about a year ago and discovered money available from when the pits closed ,many years ago.however they could only offer me £400.im not complaining by the way.but to get the job on offer i would have had to get the training and licence (with luck) pretty quickly and i couldnt raise the difference . the jobcentre pointed me in the right direction but only after i got to speak to a “mature” person who knew what they were talking about rather than a pimpley kid with a computer. good luck anyway

Save up and pay for it like everyone else.

Alan16ac:

+1.

You don’t get through life living on handouts.

Cheggy:
Get a loan or Save up like the rest of us.

Alan16ac:

+1

Please don’t come back with the “I’ve paid into the system all my life” line either, you’re not the only one who has.

You say you’re “not interested in loans”. Why’s that then?

mickevans1957:
hello all, i am looking for help trying to find funding for my HGV license but seem to be hitting walls ever turn i take!

Hi Mick,

Also, welcome to the world of trying to get an LGV licence. :smiley:

mickevans1957:
I have asked the job centre for help but as i am on a work programme, they are saying i’m not their problem. I’ve asked around different charitable organisations and people like the “princes trust” but no such luck.

In all fairness mate, they’ve suffered budget cuts just like every other government department.
Given that they’re already helping you, do you honestly expect more?

mickevans1957:
I’ve got a letter saying “Yes you can have work if you get the license!” but still hitting barriers!
Does anyone know of a way i can get the funds together, or even some of the funds.

There is/was a scheme in Wales whereby you get help if you’ve recently been made redundant, but I’m not sure whether it’s still running.
IIRC, it depended on the former employer’s postcode.

Sometimes (depends on geographic area) a letter, such as the one you say you’ve got, can get you either a Cat C course, or a licence upgrade from Cat C to Cat C+E.

mickevans1957:
Not interested in loans.

If I were in your position, and wanted a licence badly enough, there’s no reason for not considering a loan.

mickevans1957:
Does anyone know of any local Shropshire Hauliers who would be willing to pay for my training and then take the money back from my wages. I don’t mind nights out, days, nights or weekends.

I’d say that your chances are extremely slim at best, but that kind of arrangement is not unheard of.

:bulb: Having an employer pay for your course in return for you paying it back from wages is … err… hmm…
… I think it’s called … a loan. :grimacing:

:bulb: As for those who dismiss the idea of handouts, just think… they don’t give them out to those who don’t qualify for them. :wink:

dieseldave:
As for those who dismiss the idea of handouts,

Ignore them. Not a single one of them would hesitate themselves and are probably taking benefits one way or another but their case is always a justifable exception :unamused:

mrpj:

dieseldave:

Ignore them. Not a single one of them would hesitate themselves and are probably taking benefits one way or another but their case is always a justifable exception :unamused:

I don’t receive any kind of benefits thanks very much… And no if someone were to pay for it great I’d accept that. But this guy doesn’t seem to even consider paying for it himself as an option…

Alan16ac:

mrpj:

dieseldave:

I don’t receive any kind of benefits thanks very much… And no if someone were to pay for it great I’d accept that. But this guy doesn’t seem to even consider paying for it himself as an option…

I’m just checking to see if I’m gonna get more than beans on toast tonight. No!! Not on benefits. Getting by on my income.

Can’t abide scroungers. If you can’t afford it go and work for. Fast food chain and SAVE UP

Alan16ac:

mrpj:

dieseldave:

I think the OP just wants to be financially prudent (= tight :grimacing: ) cos he doesn’t seem to mind repaying the boss by deductions from wages. That’s still a loan though.

In all fairness to the OP, there’s no harm in that, but I reckon the chances of it happening are pretty slim.

Working for it was fairly easy back in the late 80s - I took a second job to afford it but in these times finding one job can be a big struggle and finding one which allows a person to save is an even bigger challenge if not near impossible in many places around the UK

Don’t know the OP’s circumstances. But I would never encourage someone who isn’t working to take a loan to pay for training unless they had a rock solid job offer. Even then, consider what happens if they don’t pass?

Dodgy ground.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

ROG:
Working for it was fairly easy back in the late 80s - I took a second job to afford it but in these times finding one job can be a big struggle and finding one which allows a person to save is an even bigger challenge if not near impossible in many places around the UK

I think finding a job isn’t too hard to be honest. Finding a good one is. If you’re prepared to graft and work for a ■■■■ wage then do it. I started saving for mine 4 years ago on £3.90 an hour! Was expected to work non stop for that too and never got a thanks. But I did it. I’ve worked my way up and finally earned enough to do everything to get my licence.
I think if you want something enough you’ll find a way to get it.

I was brought up to believe that if you want something, you work for it; you don’t expect it to be handed to you on a plate.

HGV driving is attractive to the unemployed because they see it as an easy option. They believe it will be akin to their current lifestyle of sitting around doing nothing. Too many want to jump straight into it and won’t consider doing any other form of work in order to fund their own entry into the industry.

The OP appears to be a classic example of this. The people who are justifying and encouraging scrounging should be ashamed of themselves.

Contraflow:
HGV driving is attractive to the unemployed because they see it as an easy option. They believe it will be akin to their current lifestyle of sitting around doing nothing. Too many want to jump straight into it and won’t consider doing any other form of work in order to fund their own entry into the industry.

The OP appears to be a classic example of this. The people who are justifying and encouraging scrounging should be ashamed of themselves.

The first paragraph I’d agree with although whether it’s applicable to the OP I wouldn’t know. I would disagree with this ‘scroungers’ idea though as there’s no reason why anyone who didn’t want a job would bother taking an HGV course, but that’s just my opinion.

Contraflow:
I was brought up to believe that if you want something, you work for it; you don’t expect it to be handed to you on a plate.

Totally agree with you. People just want things handed to them basically.

This subject came up with one of my instructors.
Seems that funding was available for a time, but the driving school found that the people being sent on the course didn’t want to be there, it was a requirement by the dole that they attend.
Instructor said some of them would have no problems passing, but on day of test, would drive into the cone on the reversing exercise to deliberately fail the test.
Having the extra on their licence would make them available for more vacancies, which they clearly didn’t want.
Seems the fire service have the same problem, in that people want to be firemen, not the ones driving it. (Thought it was all the same job, but :question: )
Interesting that the OP hasn’t posted anything else.