Training

Hi all my name is Gary,
I’m new to trucknet, i am trying to get information on or if there is any way i can help or funding to do my HGV training? I’m wanting to do my class 2 and class 1 licence together, but i really just can’t afford the training.

I’m on a low wage and I’m the only one working in my house hold. I’ve been trying for the past 4 months to get any information about funding, but getting absolutely no where, I’ve even written to the RHA to see if they can help.
So i joined trucknet yesterday in the hope that any of good guy’s and girls could offer any advice, it would be really appreciated.
Sorry for the long winded post. Cheers Gaz

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

You’ll find that the brokers all offer finance - but calculate the costs before you sign up.

I would strongly suggest using a reputable trainer and paying with either an interest free or low interest credit card.

You’ll find some special deals on our Open Day (15th Feb). Even if you cant make it, the deals will be available for phone bookings until 5pm Monday 17th Feb.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks for replying Pete, i will certainly look into that the only problem i have there is i don’t have a credit card and my credit history is poor due my low paid job. I was looking into something called the advanced learner loan, which would pay for my HGV training, but all of the trainers I’ve contacted do not have the facility to accept the payment. Again thank you for your reply.

You have pretty much summarised why many find it hard to enter the transport industry and why a huge majority of tests are taken by people over 30, obviously with many missing out on prime driving years in low paid jobs.

Companies are reluctant to help because people may not be committed or may leave soon after passing.

I have heard of the Jobcentre helping in certain circumstances, but this may involve having been unemployed for a while or having a conditional job offer.

In the grand scheme of things, the cost of training is low compared to what you will earn over a career. Sure there may be some hard yards where you have to tighten your belt or run an old banger of a car.

Thanks for the reply, I’m very much committed and by the way I’m 54, so if managed to get training from a haulage company i would be staying there. I’ll keep beavering away i will do it

Hi Gary.
I left working in psychiatric healthcare. Immediately signed onto Universal credit.
From my initial meeting I was asked what I’d like to do for a living and said I’ve always enjoyed driving.

My work coach then referred me to Careers Wales. My first meeting with them they told me they would find my Class 2 license and CPC. They gave me some forms to fill out(one for myself to fill out, the other for a training company to fill out that accept learners through government funding known as ‘access’.
Before I returned the forms I was offered a temporary Christmas position with Yodel.

Upon my second meeting I had the filled out forms and informed them I’d been offered a job and asked whether that would affect the funding, she said if you are unemployed at the time I submit these forms online the funding would be granted. She submitted the forms and I started the temporary job the following week.

Whilst working with Yodel, I received an email from careers wales saying my funding had been granted. It worked out that with the temporary job I was working monday-saturday as we were coming up to Christmas so the training was put on hold.

Anyway the job contract ended just before Christmas and after enjoying the holiday period I booked my medical on the 4th of Jan and passed my theory last week. Just waiting for the 10th of Feb to start practical training and my test is booked for the 14th.

TL;DR There is funding available (in Wales at least). I was unemployed at the time of the fund application being submitted.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

so if managed to get training from a haulage company i would be staying there. I’ll keep beavering away i will do it

With this information, my advice would be to go to the local operators, both haulage and own account (folks who only carry their own goods). Get to see the Transport Manager or HR and make it clear you’re prepared to do anything eg yard work, loading, cleaning, assisting in the workshop, whatever. Explain that your aim is to achieve your CAT C and CE. Once you’ve proved yourself as a reliable employee you’ll be in a position to get trained with a bit of luck.

Dont waste time/energy on emails and phone calls. The best way is to turn up in person.

When you turn up and you’re told that the right person isn’t available, dont leave until you’ve got an appointment to go back. Otherwise you’ll spend a lot of time achieving little.

All the best with it, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Hi to wiggywat,
Thank you for your reply, i was wondering about quiting my job, but also wondered if it would affect my chance of training having voluntarly quit. How long if you don’t mind me asking did it take from quitting to getting accepted for funding? Thank you again you have all been very helpful and kind.

Hi Peter,
Thank you for your reply my next step was to contact a few haulage firms near me to ask would be willing to put me through the training. Another thing that is niggling me is my age I’m 54 is that going to be a factor ie will i be deemed to old? I’m as fit as a fiddle. Thanks again Peter you have been very helpful.

Newbiegaryjack54#:
Hi to wiggywat,
Thank you for your reply, i was wondering about quiting my job, but also wondered if it would affect my chance of training having voluntarly quit. How long if you don’t mind me asking did it take from quitting to getting accepted for funding? Thank you again you have all been very helpful and kind.

I left work at the end of August and I received my funding confirmation on the 7th of November… although once I completed and submitted my funding forms I had the confirmation within a week.
In hindsight if I knew what I knew now I would’ve asked to be referred to Careers Wales on my first universal credit meeting.
Also the training company has to fill one of the forms in so you have to book a time to meet with them to go over the forms and the process (took about an hour) so if they’re super busy this may also cause a delay.

I was told to qualify for the funding I had to have worked in the last 6 months. I wouldn’t advise telling the job centre you quit. I left my job due to a change of personal circumstances and I couldn’t work the shift pattern expected of me :wink:

Thanks for that I’m going to look into it, that’s worth knowing.

54 isn’t too old to start a driving career. Many folks have done it at this age and more.

All the best, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks Peter, that’s reassuring. I have just applied for an apprenticeship as a class 1 driver, so see how that goes.

Where about are you based.