Fuel rises.

On my local radio station experts are predicting that fuel is about to rise again with rising oil prices and another rise in duty in September.

Predictions are that it will be as much as £1.20 a litre in time for xmas. :open_mouth:

Its way beyond a joke now as this is bound to send another load of firms to the wall, who considers their job is safe at those prices.?

Is it time for a national strike or something that shows both haulier and driver disgust at this nonsense.?

How much more tax will the Government rake in at those prices.?

Look what happened in the last fuel strike lots of people bottled out we should do what the french do and stop driving for 48 hours and see what happens the but as i said lots of people dont have the backbone :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp:

Blockades or something similar will only work if managing directors are on side though and its getting their permission to take their lorries to a protest that is key to anything working.

I don`t know much myself about the RHA but could they not advise their members to cease trading for a few days here and there to at least get the ball rolling.

I know the SNP supported an idea of capping prices at £1.00 a litre which seems fair to me.

For an industry that could pretty much bring the country to its knees in a matter of days we don`t seem to have any voice or support anywhere when it comes to protecting ourselves.

aranger:
I don`t know much myself about the RHA but could they not advise their members to cease trading for a few days here and there to at least get the ball rolling.

I know the SNP supported an idea of capping prices at £1.00 a litre which seems fair to me.

what■■?,and lessen the amount of revenue the goverment is recieving by millions,by trying to keep prices down■■?,not if mr brown and his sidekick darling have anything to do with it.the country is in turmoil in the grips of recession after mr brown and co,sold the “family silver”,(and then blamed the “global downturn”),make no mistake,with an extra few million on the dole to pay for,do you think that clown brown/clown darling/clown mandelson really want to lower fuel prices when they need to squeeze every single penny out of whats left of our financially raped/and disfunctional economy.

buck73:

aranger:

what■■?,and lessen the amount of revenue the goverment is recieving by millions,by trying to keep prices down■■?,not if mr brown and his sidekick darling have anything to do with it.the country is in turmoil in the grips of recession after mr brown and co,sold the “family silver”,(and then blamed the “global downturn”),make no mistake,with an extra few million on the dole to pay for,do you think that clown brown/clown darling/clown mandelson really want to lower fuel prices when they need to squeeze every single penny out of whats left of our financially raped/and disfunctional economy.

Absolutely spot on!

This country is absolutely Bo**ocksed!!

World wide recession maybe but we will see that UK is really in a poor state as france and germany are pulling out of recession and were still stuck right in the middle of it!

I speak to enough businesses during a working day and it is definately getting worse out there!!

Whats going to make it better then?? This week , next week ,next month, next year; answer nothing yet for a long long time!

Who voted this lot in!

I dont want to start a fued going between the UK and Canada / States here, but i just worked out how much diesel costs over here in UK pounds, 1 litre = about 79 cents = £0.43.

Just goes to show how much of a rip-off country the UK has become.

Petrol on the other hand costs more here and is about $1 a litre.

In 1965 petrol was 5½p per litre. A truck driver then would earn about 33p per hour so it took him 10 minutes to earn enough to buy it.
Today petrol is 100p per litre and a truck driver gets at least 750p per hour so it takes him 7½ minutes.

Santa:
In 1965 petrol was 5½p per litre. A truck driver then would earn about 33p per hour so it took him 10 minutes to earn enough to buy it.
Today petrol is 100p per litre and a truck driver gets at least 750p per hour so it takes him 7½ minutes.

Now there’s a good post, lets see how many ignore it :wink:

Santa:

Good post Santa. I used a similar scenario on another thread about new drivers talking about the cost of LGV training and passing a test.

They were moaning that it cost up to 2k. Guess what, it cost me a months wages for my HGV too, but I wasn’t on 2k per month then :stuck_out_tongue:

Scarab:

Santa:

Now there’s a good post, lets see how many ignore it :wink:

Its not about what a drivers earning its about the damage these rises are doing to the industry when its 85p in say April and £1.20 by December.

I was unemployed for a year recently because the firm went to the wall due to being locked into contracts and fuel rising so sharply so quickly, so it took me 4 hours to earn the £1.15 back then. :laughing:

Everything is cheaper by comparison if you use that logic but if fuel goes up to those prices then we are back to 1965 and how many more cars are there on the road now so the government rake in billions more in duty and when there’s a rise billions more because its taken in percentages from whatever a barrel costs at the time.

When the oil price goes up the treasury should soak it up for a business that requires to transport goods with the extra they are making.

My dad worked 60 hours a week back in 72 and I had one pair of wellies to last me a year, now I work 60 hours and my weans are watching dvd`s in mine or her car.

While MP`s are screaming from the rooftops because 700 whisky jobs are going nobody gives a flying monkeys about the thousands of our jobs that go every time some clown decides to reduce oil production and another continues to tax it to high heaven no matter what.

Santa:

Nice eye catching post, just the sort of thing a politician would put out.
probably wouldn’t look quite so good when you compare the rate of tax, vat [or 1965 equivalent), house prices and the cost of living to name but a few. :slight_smile:

434mike:

Santa:

probably wouldn’t look quite so good when you compare the rate of tax, vat [or 1965 equivalent), house prices and the cost of living to name but a few. :slight_smile:

Or that £7.50 isn’t an average wage but nearer the minimum.
But that’s neither here nor there. If Canada can sell it for 43pence a litre, so can we.

I read a report a few months ago about the MOD spending seven hundred million on hotel and meal allowances for its senior civil servants in one year. Today there is another report about the same civil servants are responsible for losing 6.6 billion pounds worth of military equipment. Some of you may remember the seven hundred million wasted on an IT upgrade for the NHS that got binned after years of failure. The Greenwich Dome that cost a billion and the twelve billion being spent on the Olympic stadium that employs mostly east Europeans. Not to mention the hundreds of billions the Labour party give away in foreign aid. This year alone Gorden Brown gave Zimbabwe 60 million, while president Mugabe lives in a luxurious palace that puts Buckingham Palace to shame.
Gordon Brown is taxing businesses into oblivion just to throw the money down the drain. Another report today mentions Labour putting up small business taxes by £1,000 a year for the next three years and the report goes on to mention the government expect “one in twenty” to cease trading while trying to pay it.

If we get a government that doesn’t throw money down the drain, we wouldn’t need to pay so much in taxes.

Blockades or something similar will only work if managing directors are on side though and its getting their permission to take their lorries to a protest that is key to anything working.

Don’t know if it’s true but I was told that action would be taken against O licences of participating hauliers. Anybody know? :laughing: :laughing:

Write to your MP`s I have, I finally got a reply it only took 10 months! Now sent their reply to all the industry mags, The Sun and Transaction-who were very interested in the Government ministers reply-which basically was a total load of C**P and waste of Governemnt letterheaded paper. I have replied back to them and asked why they just wrote a load of spin to me, and yet failed to answer the two questions that I had originally asked.

1. What are you going to do to help the Road Haulage Industry regarding fuel prices/tax?
  2. Why wont you introduce some sort of toll for the foreigners to pay when in our country?

So Ill see how long it takes them to reply to that letter, (They will probably be out of power by the time they come to reply).

We have got to get the story into the media and for them to shout are case to the general public. This hopefully will bring a significant majority on side with us. The RHA and FTA are a waste of time. As I mentioned to the guy at Transaction yesterday we need to get somebody famous to fight for us and to get the PR people involved, like Johanna Lumley did for the Gurkers. (sorry if thats spelt wrong), or how about somebody in Government? Personally I think its a good time to try and do something afterall Mr Brown and Darling are hanging on by their finernails.

Dont no what you guys think, but thats how I feel.

As you say mercactros, it took ten months to get a reply from your MP. Waste of time. It will be £3 a litre before you get a reply from your next one,( considering Gordon is printing money like confetti, inflation could soon rise to near Zimbabwe scales). All three main parties and several smaller are trying to sell themselves on green issues. So putting fuel prices down wouldn’t do their image any good. With an election looming, writing to your MP is going to get plenty of promises with the hope of securing your vote but after the election, you can go do one.
Nothing will happen until the “bosses” unite and act. The drivers want to secure their jobs and the bosses want to secure their businesses. This is probably one of the few instances where industrial action would service both our needs. Bosses and workers.

george3:

434mike:

Santa:

Or that £7.50 isn’t an average wage but nearer the minimum.
But that’s neither here nor there. If Canada can sell it for 43pence a litre, so can we.

I read a report a few months ago about the MOD spending seven hundred million on hotel and meal allowances for its senior civil servants in one year. Today there is another report about the same civil servants are responsible for losing 6.6 billion pounds worth of military equipment. Some of you may remember the seven hundred million wasted on an IT upgrade for the NHS that got binned after years of failure. The Greenwich Dome that cost a billion and the twelve billion being spent on the Olympic stadium that employs mostly east Europeans. Not to mention the hundreds of billions the Labour party give away in foreign aid. This year alone Gorden Brown gave Zimbabwe 60 million, while president Mugabe lives in a luxurious palace that puts Buckingham Palace to shame.
Gordon Brown is taxing businesses into oblivion just to throw the money down the drain. Another report today mentions Labour putting up small business taxes by £1,000 a year for the next three years and the report goes on to mention the government expect “one in twenty” to cease trading while trying to pay it.

If we get a government that doesn’t throw money down the drain, we wouldn’t need to pay so much in taxes.

The rich also scam the country for 20 billion a year in tax and its swept under the carpet. Why are they not jailed the same as benefit cheats. :question:

I have only been a HGV driver for six years and it amazes me the complete lack of support the industry has at any level.

Murder trying to type when the reply box is full anybody else have bother… Text keeps on jumping.

aranger:
Murder trying to type when the reply box is full anybody else have bother… Text keeps on jumping.

Kinell geeza, you 'ent on the mobile are y’u

434mike:

Santa:

Well OK:
In the early 60’s it took:
5 hours to buy an LP (That’s what we had before CDs)
45 mins for a pint of beer
2 weeks for a colour TV (with an 18” screen)
10 hours for 10 days in Spain

In London (where I was) a 3 bed semi cost about £3000 or 9 months wages. Oop north you could buy a 2 bed terrace for £200 or 10 weeks wages. A mini was about £650.

The firm I worked for paid us 50p a night out (more than most) and that was enough to pay for an evening meal and bed and breakfast (had to share a room though). Cinema would be 10p. No sleeper cabs then of course.
This was the era in which we “had never had it so good” In fact that was true in spite some of the examples I have shown. Taxes were less but not that much but rents were cheap (I was paying £30 per month for a self contained 3 bed flat) and there simply was less to buy. No mobile phone, no computers, B/W rental TV for most of us. We were happy with second hand furniture and you could buy a presentable car for £50. (MOT was 35p)

The price of fuel has now become absolutley crazy i’m sure some countries have a sliding fuel duty scale where the price of fuel rises the duty decreases and when fuel price falls the duty rises therfore keeping the price of fuel stays the same

ASDADRIVER:
The price of fuel has now become absolutley crazy i’m sure some countries have a sliding fuel duty scale where the price of fuel rises the duty decreases and when fuel price falls the duty rises therfore keeping the price of fuel stays the same

That sounds bang on the money and even if its only for vehicles involved in the transport of goods at least it would protect our jobs.

A lot of posters on here seem to hate companies like Stobart for whatever reason but if we don`t start to stick together as drivers under some kind of body and take action on things like fuel prices and minimum wage structure that reflects the fact we are up before the posties and home after the pakistanis shops shut, we are all going to end up applying for jobs with them as it will be only firms like them who survive these fluctuating prices and our rates will soon be on a par with the minimum wage.

I wish I had a bit of savvy about me because anyone who can get the ball rolling will be made for life.