Fuel economy (the truth)

After 7000k’s on the clock from new my l/100k’s is 42.3
Iknow this is not good at all and to be honest the only time i can improve it is when im bouncin. The work is always heavy, the roads are always bad in fact some days my avarage speed can be as low as 30kph.
Is it just me :question:

What is it that youare driveing,and the type of work
etc etc,

HAVE you tried getting the engine checked over
by a reputable firm where they check every thing from
the injectors to the pump etc, there was a article in one
of the trucking mags a few years ago were they took
"“3"” different lorries and after they where checked
done adjustments which helped to increase the
fuel consumtion and also the bhp(PS) from the engine
belive the name of the company was FEATHERS
but not 100% sure.

We have 3 Actros 2544 units, all used for pulling heavy double-deckers from West Wales to Birmigham and back. The two older ones consistently return an average of around 7.5 - 8 mpg but the brand new one (ad-blue 5) rarely manages over 6.5mpg. I also find that the new one has a lot less “guts” than the others. It has already done more than 50,000 Km so can’t still be tight.

Its a merc 1846 basically a timber truck,log crane etc. and yes its bluetec 4

do you have a PTO for the crane or does it have
a seperate power unit, as this affects your fuel
consumption as well, also do you do lots
of off road --ie tracks this will also effect
your fuel consumption, if you talk to those
also do the same type of work what are they getting
as regards fuel consumption,

As BritPete says the best way is to ask the others on the job.

The mpg figures that you’ll find in magazines & brochures are accurate, but they only represent A-road & Motorway journeys in favorable conditions, the kind of work you’re doing is as far removed from that as possible so they are meaningless to you.

Yeah the crane runs off a pto but. Lets say the company i work for also have daf and scania and they are about the same on fuel. Shouldnt the ad blue on mine make it a little better not worse on fuel

Ad-blue is only sprayed into the exhaust to treat the ■■■■ that comes out so that we can save the trees, it has nothing to do with the combustion process so won’t make any difference to economy. The rate of Ad-Blue you use is all dependant on how much time you spend working the engine, from what you say I think that it will be quite high in your case, certainly if you compare with a lorry that spends its’ time on the limiter all day.

ad-blue is just a additive which reduces your
exhaust to a level which is one which has
less effect on th emviroment, how often do
you use the crane, have you looked into getting
a crane which has its own power unit,
what would one cost, and then work out the
cost saved by reduced fuel consumption,
these are all factors which need to be considered
also get in touch with firms that use a seperate
power unit for their crane, it may work out cheaper
but you need to ask around first of all,

We have noticed a worse fuel consumption in our new mercs compaired to the old ones , after complaints made to merc the think we have a wrong diff fitted■■?
its still on going , if i find out more will let yous know

im sure i read [was it jammy ] saying how big b and q [ exhell ] were on m.p.g , so i would of thought they would have done exaustive tests on m.p.g before they changed manufactor , so i would of thought mercs must be quite good on m.p.g as i saw 3 brand new ones in b and q colours bob tailing it up the A1.

my new axor 430 bluetech 5 thingy with powershift has done 17,000 k,s so far and according to the on board its average is smack on 8 mpg. i would expect this to get better when some more miles are put on it. that said though, how accurate are the onboard computers :question:
also it might help the mpg in that its limited to 84kph :imp:

I understand how adblue works, however a selling point for scr was that they could let their engines burn dirty and run more economically leaving adblue to do the work :bulb:
All im sayin is this isnt happening so far , in fact one of our drivers has an egr scania and even its slightly better on fuel.

After reading a couple of other posts on this thread I must add that my new Actros runs at 90Kph whereas the older ones are at 89Kph. Don’t know how much difference this makes to the fuel, but it knocks about 8 minutes off my average time on the trunk :smiley: