From russia with love: my diary of sorts from the last month

right, as many know i spend most of my time in europe, and quite often we venture a bit further afield. over the last 2 months, i have been to most of the countries in europe (if you would like the list, here it is: france belguim germany czech republic austria hungary romania bulgaria turkey greece switzerland spain luxembourg denmark norway sweden finland russia latvia netherlands, phew!!) what i love most about my job is the challenge presented by eastern europe, and more so russia. its a pain in the arse clearing customs in, the roads are terrible, the driving standard is worse, and i love every minute of it!! this time, we entered from finland, we were at the border for around 7 hours in total, destination moscow. off to moscow, then we went to st petersberg, and from there down to the border with latvia. i was especially looking forward to it as i have never been to st petersberg, its an amazing city, and the underground (as in moscow) is easy to follow, even if there is no english translations! anyway i digress, i thought i would put some pictures up of some of the roads and sights i have seen.

now then, if you didnt know, russia buys a lot of its equipment second hand, its sourced from not only europe, but also america (which i found quite amazing considering their somewhat hostile past), and most stuff doesnt get repainted (you will see why…) so its quite an eye opener to see british liveried trucks passing you on russian plates!! anyway (if your sad like me!) it becomes spot the british livery, and these are what i found…

duncan adams…

steady eddie! (will be the only time i take a pic of one of their trucks!) also note the trailer, city group!

i would like to add, the trucks get converted to left hand drive too!

phillips of seahouses…

right, enough of that (unless you want more?)

welcome to russia: entrance to the customs compound with obligitory pothole!

although its not this bad all the way (and it does get much worse!) this is part of the motorway!

if there is a fatal accident, often, as a memorial, part of the car that was involved is left as a memorial, eg a mangled bonnet, door etc.

accidents are common sights sadly, due to the terrible driving:

this one i dont think he meant to park like this…

to be honest ill be amazed if he walked from this one, and its already being scavenged for bits, no idea how they did it

and finally for now, this ex dhl was at the border with an old castle cement blower, can anyone spot the difference with it?

i have loads more pictures if your interested i can put some more up…

Brilliant, and yes to more photos please!

Cracking pics there Mat.

Good diary love the pics would love to see more.

Cracking pics Mat more please!!!

good pictures mat, keep them coming!

aye defo get the rest of the pic’s up - pic’s and diarys are great

right, im glad they have been of some interest so far, and no one has spotted the difference with the dhl man yet…

right, more then: first off a video of driving through russia, i wouldlike to add i dont normally drive like this, but there you have to drive like them or you will get pushed off the road basically. (music provided by rolf harris!)

and back onto pictures…

if you flew into moscow or st petersberg, you would never get to see the real poverty russia still seemsto live in, communual toilets and well pumps at the end of the garden is the norm, these are some of the better buildings, a lot now seem uninhabited, a lot are subsiding, and a lot are burnt out!

a couple of pics from st petersberg, showing the difference!

this war memorial was en route to latvia

bit more of the motorway

god knows what happened here, see the 2 halfs of the lada on each side of the road :open_mouth:

new cab sir?

going into moscow, it rained like hell, inevitably, this led to this…

this is the point that the nazis got to in the war before they were fought back

bumpers are optional (in fact this is one of the better ones, i kid you not we watched a renault premium go past, it had 2 rims on the drive axle but only a tyre on the inside rim, wish i could of got a picture!!)

more anorakage…

and a couple more dings…

bet this guy woke up with a start!!!

on the way to moscow we went past this guy (one of our drivers said the guy was stil at the wheel!)

and on the way back (2 days later :open_mouth: ) it was being recovered, the tyre as a warning i guess!!

people sell all sorts on the side of the road to try and make some cash…

bit of in cab cuisine…

nutter bus, his overtaking lane ends just out of shot and he had just got back over to his side!

if the traffic is heavy, the one solution is to use the hard shoulder (although theres not too much hard about it, the holes will rattle your fillings out, doesnt stop buses with passengers using it though!!)

no road markings mean a free for all

this is the moscow underground, its amazing, and a must see if you ever go!

stopped for a break heading to latvia

and, finally for now, as jessicas dad threateed to put this on here if i didnt, a couple of me :blush:

at red square with my new hat

and me with my friends, the russian police!!

hope they are of some interest, i can put more up if there is still demand

euromat:
and me with my friends, the russian police!!

hope they are of some interest, i can put more up if there is still demand

ha ha ha :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: i love this picture its hilarous well done mat good show.

keep them coming and the underground looks fascinating a bit of differance to the london underground.

euromat:
and finally for now, this ex dhl was at the border with an old castle cement blower, can anyone spot the difference with it?

the doors cover the top two steps?

Fascinating, keep it coming. Apart from not having been swapped to LHD can’t spot the difference.

Mackem:
Fascinating, keep it coming. Apart from not having been swapped to LHD can’t spot the difference.

nope, thats not it, clue, look a bit further back (not too far!)

jd, ill get some more uploaded but probably wont be until tomorrow

Its missing some door. There’s no up right to the rear of the window!

Brilliant pics.

do you think all those people know their trailers are over there? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Fascinating pics Matt…brilliant!

More please.

…and apart from the MAN being RHD and still on UK plates, I don’t know what the difference is.

its still got a british plate■■?

ill give you a clue with the amn, dont look at the cab, and not the first pic, you cant notice it there…

wrecktech100:
do you think all those people know their trailers are over there? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

i get a feeling a lot of it is stolen out there, we saw a couple of brand new looking german skellys at the border, i cant see that they would of been sold already…

Cracking pics Matt, particularly like the look of St Petersberg looks like theres
some great looking buildings there ! The Moscow underground also looks
awesome especially the lights,can you imagine that here in the Uk they
would all be broke by scumbags and there would be graffiti all over the walls.

is the drivers side lift axle down but the passenger side is up?..great pics btw mat would love to have a go at russia just to say ive been there. :smiley: