From russia with love: my diary of sorts from the last month

is it the wind deflectors on the side are bent in at the bottom?

wirralpete:
is the drivers side lift axle down but the passenger side is up?..great pics btw mat would love to have a go at russia just to say ive been there. :smiley:

bingo!!! not only was the axle a bit of a problem, there was also a rather large puddle of oil underneath (dont think it came out in the pics!)

ill get some more pics up shortly, im off for me tea now!

Just tell us !!! or I will tell the two birds from Fort William that are looking for you where you work. I thought what you did was impossible in a cable car !!

roads look like theyve improved since last year,i have to agree the underground is something else,best way to get around moscow and easy as matt says,did you mange to get to the hard rock cafe in moscow center matt and see the changing of the guard also

euromat:
at red square with my new hat

Absolutely brilliant Matt, as you know I did four years on Russia and it’s fantastic to have all of the memories flooding back! I completely agree that you can only get the the idea of what Russia is like by doing it by road. A package tour to Moscow wouldn’t give you any idea of the place.

So much seems to be the same, even those GAI officers still have a crappy Lada (although I know they do use better cars too).

The roads were always horrendous, one day in Winter I started counting serious accidents but gave up after seeing 11 in less than 40 km after leaving Moscow. Dead bodies lying in the road was a common sight- the standard of driving is truly appalling. At the risk of seeming racist, car control simply seems to be a skill which is largely beyond Russians.

euromat:
hope they are of some interest, i can put more up if there is still demand

I personally would love to see as many as you want to put on here. Nice to put a face to the name, I’ll look out for you.

ce again, thanks for all the kind words, so here is a few more for you all

again, starting with a video, this time i have exited russia, this is the queue waiting to get into russia from latvia, they reckon on 1km per day, eg 7km queue will take a week to get in :open_mouth:

old heijboer of holland volvo with an unusual car transporter

and a russian built maz with one on too

im sure some will know this livery!!

old grampian chicken

right then. can anyone tell me if this is ex british? im sure i have seen someone operating volvos like this, someone like superdrug? there were a lot in russia so im guessing they are ex fleet trucks

im sure the box boys will know this one!!

and a couple of sneaky pics, these are in the customs impound, im 99% certain the renault was there last year too, unless they have confiscated another with a similar trailer…

and matthews of yarmouth

and for the minute (ill get uploading again later or tomorrow) this volvo. no i saw it at kapperskar in sweden waiting for the boat to finland, if you dont know where murmansk is, google it or google maps, he was a long way from home, thats for sure!!!

once again, thanks all for your kind words, ill update again tonight or tomorrow

euromat:
and a russian built maz with one on too

Yeah, they’re crap.

Got any KAMAZ’s?

Harry Monk:
So much seems to be the same, even those GAI officers still have a crappy Lada (although I know they do use better cars too).

the white and blue ones are militsia harry, GAI are the black and white ones - usually better cars but bigger ■■■■■■ :wink:

keep em coming matt

i cant belive 7 km’s = 7 days to get into russia.

plus i agree with you that most of those trailers are proberly stolen and also maybe the hanburys wagon was pinched straight from felixstowe with the box on. :wink: :laughing:

as ive said before mat keep em coming. :wink:

Fantastic post. The pics were great. Really want to do a run to Russia now. The Volvo looks like an ex TDG truck.

topstuff mate :wink:

Mustve taken you all night to upload that lot mat so thanks. I noticed the qeue from latvia into russia ,a couple of bright green car transporters carrying Porshe and other sportscars :open_mouth: :open_mouth:
I n russia youre either very poor or very rich.

Brilliant pics mat,Russia is somewhere I’ve always wanted to go to with a truck.

Where’s the pics of Kylie■■?

jessicas dad:
plus i agree with you that most of those trailers are proberly stolen

Some might be JD but most end-of-life kit gets exported legally, sold through auction for peanuts and then sent to the second and third world where expectations are lower. Certainly nobody would steal an end-of-life Tesco trailer for example and then go to the trouble of exporting it.

You will very rarely see a truck breaker’s yard in the UK for this reason.

Here’s a snap I took in The Gambia, in western Africa a couple of years ago.

I think they are happy, it was warmer here than in East Grinstead or Swansea.

Keep em coming Matty …

Giz a Job… :laughing: :laughing:

thecoder0:
Giz a Job… :laughing: :laughing:

FFS, don’t say that or you’ll have my boss on the phone!

just out of intrest are you involved in the un loading or loading back up or do just dump the truck and potter of for a few days. :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

also do you get to see the concerts or backstage passes, or even bump into the princess herself. :question: :question: :question:

I wonder what state them portaloos are in, looks like one every 1km, i would not fancy a walk in the woods.!!!.

jessicas dad:
just out of intrest are you involved in the un loading or loading back up or do just dump the truck and potter of for a few days. :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

also do you get to see the concerts or backstage passes, or even bump into the princess herself. :question: :question: :question:

Matt will answer for himself, but we do tours for Edwin Shirley Trucking which is similar.

Drivers have to do the lot- double-drive, wheel the flight boxes off, build the stage, anything neccessary basically. The build-up is hard graft and generally gets harder once you are stagebuilding, because you aren’t subject to tacho. 20-hour days aren’t unusual. It’s one of those jobs where, if you don’t muck in, do your share, and get on with everybody, you won’t be invited back. That show has to open on time.

The moment the concert is finished you are back at it, “ghosting” through the night to break the set down and get to the next venue. EST will think nothing of flying a third driver to Munich to do a nine-hour shift at the wheel and then fly back from Rome at the end of it.

You get to see as many concerts as you want, sometimes you get to meet the performer- Paul McCartney is known to be particularly appreciative of the road crew and riggers and generally makes a point of shaking hands with everyone on the tour. Others, such as Celine Dion wouldn’t urinate over a lowly and worthless truck driver if he was on fire and you would be sacked on the spot if you ever said so much as “Hello” to her…

You can sometimes earn cash-in-hand while the show is on by selling T-shirts or programmes, or for “clicking”- counting the public as they arrive with a hand-held counting device.

I’ve never done a Rock 'n Roll tour myself- I wish I had but circumstances and my innate laziness never permitted it- but my firm do a fair amount still, and we are called “Fleetwood Transport” not because we are based in Fleetwood, but because we started out as Fleetwood Mac’s road crew all those years ago.

Top post Euromat give us more!!! My old schmitz fridge trailer went out to Russia, there’s a couple of guys based in the UK and at the time were buying just about anything to export out there, my old K plate DAF 95 went out to Africa.