“Frightening and irresponsible” – Highway Code changes

“Frightening and irresponsible” – Highway Code changes would transfer legal liability to HGV drivers, RHA claims.

Well have heard it all now apparently they are looking to change the highway code so as give cyclists the right of way to pass inside of a left turning vehicle or outside a right turning vehicle. :unamused:

RHA policy director Duncan Buchanan said “What is really frightening is the proposal to give a right of way to cyclists undertaking or overtaking vehicles at junctions," he continued. "Following such a rule will put cyclists in grave danger, and I believe the proposal is irresponsible.”

Full article here in Motor Transport

Highway Code isn’t the law in most cases, if there’s not a “must” or “must not” then there’s usually no law backing it up and it’s nothing more than advice on best practice. The sections about still needing to give HGVs plenty of room and watch for them taking wide swings to turn left will still be in there.

Conor:
Highway Code isn’t the law in most cases, if there’s not a “must” or “must not” then there’s usually no law backing it up and it’s nothing more than advice on best practice. The sections about still needing to give HGVs plenty of room and watch for them taking wide swings to turn left will still be in there.

The article also states "The current Highway Code makes legal liability clear where it says
“The Highway Code may be used in evidence in any court proceedings under Traffic Acts to establish liability.
This includes rules which use advisory wording such as ‘should/should not’ or ‘do/do not’.”

The government has been taken over by Bolshevik retards and this proves it.
It’ll turn into a bigger massacre than Smart Motorways.
It doesn’t just affect truck drivers it affects all drivers.

Logically it sets the precedent of double standards applying to cyclists regarding all priorities not just under/over taking turning traffic. :unamused:

What could possibly go wrong when common sense leaves the building!

It’s bad enough as it is with some of these 2 wheeler lycra clad kamikaze cyclists.
The effect of this will be to give them carte blanche to do wtf they like at junctions dangerous or not, while thinking they are safe in the knowledge thst…
I’‘m in the right here so I’m fine’
and
‘I’m wearing my headcam’
:unamused:

Does anyone for even one moment imagine that in the event of a collision between a cyclist/pedestriand and an HGV, that the HGV driver would not be held liable whatever the circumstances, this is nothing new and the highway code changing its wording makes no difference to reality.
One compelling reason for this, increasingly so from the authorities point of view, is that the lorry will almost certainly be insured, hence the lorry insurer picks all tabs up regardless of who is to blame, if the cyclist/pedestrian was held responsible for their own injuries or worse who would foot the claims/bills possibly running into 6 figures.

This is modern Britain people, common sense fair play and equality in the eyes of the law left the land a long time ago, (no bugger gave a toss cos bread and circuses)
You as a lorry driver are on your own, it has always been thus just we know the truth now due to forums such as this one, so make sure you prepare your vehicle for maximum all round vision and drive accordingly.

robroy:
It’s bad enough as it is with some of these 2 wheeler lycra clad kamikaze cyclists.
The effect of this will be to give them carte blanche to do wtf they like at junctions dangerous or not, while thinking they are safe in the knowledge thst…
and
‘I’m wearing my headcam’

So basically these two wheeled nobbers are finally being recognised as being too incompetant to look after themselves so we have to do the job whilst they ride like morons with the obligatory headphones on.

Not that I suppose it will make any difference, I filled in the IAM Roadsmart survey about these changes,registering my belief that they will cause confusion and mayhem. Google IAM Roadsmart and you will find an option to click and complete this, thousands already have.
Probably a waste of time but no more so than emailing your MP.

Juddian:
Does anyone for even one moment imagine that in the event of a collision between a cyclist/pedestriand and an HGV, that the HGV driver would not be held liable whatever the circumstances, this is nothing new and the highway code changing its wording makes no difference to reality.
One compelling reason for this, increasingly so from the authorities point of view, is that the lorry will almost certainly be insured, hence the lorry insurer picks all tabs up regardless of who is to blame, if the cyclist/pedestrian was held responsible for their own injuries or worse who would foot the claims/bills possibly running into 6 figures.

This is modern Britain people, common sense fair play and equality in the eyes of the law left the land a long time ago, (no bugger gave a toss cos bread and circuses)
You as a lorry driver are on your own, it has always been thus just we know the truth now due to forums such as this one, so make sure you prepare your vehicle for maximum all round vision and drive accordingly.

It’s reasonable to assume that many of these retards will be in the financially desperate category that’s why they can’t afford to buy and run a car.
So now they’ve got a ready made crash for cash charter.Just wait until they see the indicator and the start of the turn then deliberately ride into the side of the turning vehicle.Possibly from the pavement at the right moment.
All the vision in the world isn’t going to stop anyone deliberately riding into the side of the vehicle at 90 degrees across their path.

But I do think we’ve got at least a chance of a fair hearing and defence against the most criminally suicidal of the nutters as it stands.If this precedent goes through all bets are off every roundabout and junction and green traffic light will be anarchy.

Socketset:

robroy:
and
‘I’m wearing my headcam’

So basically these two wheeled nobbers are finally being recognised as being too incompetant to look after themselves so we have to do the job whilst they ride like morons with the obligatory headphones on.

Tell me what chance they have against a impatient driver in a tin box who is not paying full attention? Hate to inform you but there are plenty of incompetEnt drivers around as well as the cyclists.
Something needs to be done to protect the vulnerable road users as some drivers have an appalling attitude towards them. :unamused:

jakethesnake:
Tell me what chance they have against a impatient driver in a tin box who is not paying full attention? Hate to inform you but there are plenty of incompetEnt drivers around as well as the cyclists.

Tell me…

What chance I have against an air head Iphone ear bud wearing, lycra cladded, numbnuts cyclist hell bent on listening to Britney Spears singing Poison at full volume. When, what they should be doing is making sure the safety of fellow road users and (here’s the kicker) their own safety is being considered at all times.

Next time I see one on my inside pedalling away and humming I’ve gotta luvverly bunch of coconuts, I’m just gonna whack the deadman on.

If that’s what they want, that’s what they get.

Looks like we’ll have to watch out for Cargo Bikes too! The Local Government Association (LGA) are urging courier firms to swap their vans for cargo bikes for ‘last mile’ deliveries from local hubs to homes’. :open_mouth:
The complaint is that since lots more people are buying online & having goods delivered due to Covid restrictions/social distancing more & more vans are clogging up the roads in urban areas. :open_mouth:

jakethesnake:
Something needs to be done to protect the vulnerable road users as some drivers have an appalling attitude towards them. :unamused:

So why would a ‘vulnerable’ road user want to put themselves in more danger than a ‘non vulnerable’ road users by ignoring rules like don’t try to under take left turning traffic or over take right turning traffic.

You wouldn’t do it driving a car because of the all too predictable results so why would you want to do it riding a ‘vulnerable’ bicycle.

lancpudn:
Looks like we’ll have to watch out for Cargo Bikes too! The Local Government Association (LGA) are urging courier firms to swap their vans for cargo bikes for ‘last mile’ deliveries from local hubs to homes’. :open_mouth:
The complaint is that since lots more people are buying online & having goods delivered due to Covid restrictions/social distancing more & more vans are clogging up the roads in urban areas. :open_mouth:

Will replacing a van with half a dozen(?) bikes reduce, congestion?
Gotta cost more.

Over here in Spain,it has ever been thus that cyclists can overtake a turning vehicle ignoring flashing indicators on either side.Whatever the result the driver is automatically at fault.Cyclists here have more power than God.

Dunno why everyone is worrying, you’ll get a nice glass panel in both your doors, a matching pair of loud hailers for both left/right…
Cameras stuck all over the truck, tons of new shiny stickers, side bars, wheel covers, scatter cushions/blankets, latte machine, an lentil dispenser to ensure they comfy while you lift the wagon off em…

Just like FORS only with added accountability for the driver, and extra comfort for the chafe brigade, win win.

As for banging more bikes out to deliver parcels, has no one thought about how many of em get mugged around the cities already?

No more cardboard or plastic straws, instead we’ll except plastic straws wrapped in cardboard as the logic [emoji849]

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

How will this work with automated trucks? I can see lots of head camera wearing self important twerps in Lycra getting squashed.

I imagine it will set a trend in the cemetery,

Here Lies Bob the Biker

He passed a lorry and passed away.

Section 4b page 3.7

It was my right of way.

Amen

Wheel Nut:
I imagine it will set a trend in the cemetery,

Here Lies Bob the Biker

He passed a lorry and passed away.

Section 4b page 3.7

It was my right of way.

Amen

He passed a lorry but passed away under it before he’d got past it.
It was his right and his right of way and it was his day to go.He was vulnerable indeed. :wink: