Highway Code amendments

Amendments being considered are to allow cyclists to undertake turning lorries, and for there to be a hierarchy of road users whereby HGV drivers will automatically take more responsibility for accidents regardless of fault.

Not a wind up. Source is the road haulage association. Can’t be bothered going back for a link to copy and paste for you lot. If your interested google it for more information.

Of course it is not worded quite like “cyclists can undertake”, but the emphasis seems to be on trucks waiting behind cyclists at junctions and leaving space so that if one does come up the inside, they can be seen. It doesn’t quite deal with the situation where a cyclist is in the process of coming up the inside or is travelling at the same speed. Perhaps it would be better for a cyclist to stay behind the truck if there are any junctions coming up?
This isn’t just common sense, but self preservation.

In my experience cyclists probably wouldn’t take the opportunity to cycle in the middle of the road in slow moving traffic, as this seems to be seen as an opportunity to beat the traffic and I suppose it is understandable to make journey times feasible.

Cards on the table I have been a cyclist before and still cycle mostly on paths these days. I have been “car-doored” about 20 years ago. I was helped to an extent by having bar-ends fitted to my handle bars, which took care of the car window instead of probably my hand hitting it. Driver of course tried to blame me for not being out in the middle of the road just in case a driver decided to stick their door out without looking. The strategy of using the opposite hand to open a car door may help, but it would take a serious ad campaign to get it off the ground.

Seeing as Rowley couldn’t be bothered here is a link to the RHA article about this

news.rha.uk.net/2020/10/15/rha- … ntent.html

I think the cyclist bit is asking for trouble. The other bit about professionals being more accountable is fair enough. We should be anticipating everything and keeping the speed appropriate to the developing hazards. We drive lethal weapons essentially.

Unlike a few on here I’ve nothing against cyclists, I’ve been known to be one myself.

It’s ok protecting them, and I’m all for it…but who is going to protect a certain few from themselves and their lack of common ■■■■ sense.
The…‘‘I’m going to ride my bike on the A66 (and/or any other busy trunk road) no matter how unsafe it is, because it’s legal and I’m doing nothing wrong’’ types, and the terminally thick who make kamikaze pilots look safety conscious in the things they do on the road. :unamused:

I’m all for increasing road safety and awareness.

I’m not sure advance apportioning of any blame to one particular group will help with this though.

How about making every road user, regardless of vehicle, equally culpable unless there is clear evidence to the contrary?

robroy:
Unlike a few on here I’ve nothing against cyclists, I’ve been known to be one myself.

It’s ok protecting them, and I’m all for it…but who is going to protect a certain few from themselves and their lack of common [zb] sense.
The…‘‘I’m going to ride my bike on the A66 (and/or any other busy trunk road) no matter how unsafe it is, because it’s legal and I’m doing nothing wrong’’ types, and the terminally thick who make kamikaze pilots look safety conscious in the things they do on the road. :unamused:

Sorry rob but you still have to protect these idiots. They are as entitled to use the road as anyone else. Yes it’s crazy for anyone in their right mind to cycle on the A66 but it’s also not good to have the attitude of stuff them because they are in your way.

How about making every road user, regardless of vehicle, equally culpable unless there is clear evidence to the contrary?

I presume you include cyclists in that statement? The like of cyclists, pedestrians etc are vulnerable road users and should be treated as such especially when the evidence shows (cyclists) are not normally to blame for the majority of accidents they are invovolved in.

I would like to see a law where it is illegal for a cyclist to use the road where a cycle path is present

ROG:
I would like to see a law where it is illegal for a cyclist to use the road where a cycle path is present

That would be fine if all cycle paths were maintained correctly and safe to use as they are here in Holland. Apparently in the UK some of them are totally unridable.

I’d like to see the current laws enforced where cyclists break them: such as riding through red lights, on pavements, being aggressive to other road users/pedestrians

Rules 60, 64, 68,69, 71 etc etc

gov.uk/guidance/the-highway … s-59-to-82

You’re already automatically to blame in an altercation with a cyclist, regardless of cicumstances.

Doesn’t worry me unduly because i’m not in a tearing hurry anyway and always make room for them, if confirming the fact publicly that cyclists are never at fault no matter what will only serve to have an adverse effect on injuries and deaths in that group, commons sense left the country long ago and ‘my right of way’ and ‘i’m in the right’ will be the final thoughts for more cyclists than ever regardless of all the signs flashing lights warning buzzers extra windows etc that they come up with.

“… whereby HGV drivers will automatically take more responsibility for accidents regardless of fault”

All the more reason to be a member of a union which gives automatic and unstinting legal support.

As well as here, it is seriously worth making comment on the HC. If not, as LGV drivers, you could become a third rate road user. Nd be assumed to be at fault. Even though the HC has no legal standing. So, don’t just whinge here, whinge to those DHL may actually listen.