Dutch Reach (New Highway Code)

The new Highway Code comes in to effect next week. Are the new rules immediately part of the test? Will it be a fail if I open the vehicle door using my right hand and not my left?

wakou:
The new Highway Code comes in to effect next week. Are the new rules immediately part of the test? Will it be a fail if I open the vehicle door using my right hand and not my left?

Fail = no unless it was dangerous at the time of doing it
Minor = possibly

All these changes are pro-cyclists, yet there are no substantiative changes that apply to cyclists themselves, such as making them obey the law. :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

You haven’t read them then?
"It’s not just drivers who are asked to be considerate

For example, a new instruction notes that cyclists should give way to pedestrians on shared pathways, and to horse riders on bridleways – again, something that should be happening anyway. More widely, the updated Highway Code sets out the “hierarchy of road users”, making the uncontroversial point that quicker and/or heavier modes of travel should be especially careful for those who are more vulnerable. While this, as the code says, “most strongly applies” to those in charge of a motorised vehicle, cyclists should be careful for horses, and everyone should be careful for pedestrians, especially children, older people, or people with disabilities."

wakou:

For example, a new instruction notes that cyclists should give way to pedestrians on shared pathways, and to horse riders on bridleways – again, something that should be happening anyway. More widely, the updated Highway Code sets out the “hierarchy of road users”, making the uncontroversial point that quicker and/or heavier modes of travel should be especially careful for those who are more vulnerable. While this, as the code says, “most strongly applies” to those in charge of a motorised vehicle, cyclists should be careful for horses, and everyone should be careful for pedestrians, especially children, older people, or people with disabilities."

Yes I did. My problem with cyclists is they are the least likely to follow the law, and will use this as an excuse to get in the way of … motorized vehicles. They are also the most vocal with powerful lobbyists despite not paying a penny to be on the road, and do not require registration or insurance. The last two points must be made mandatory for them.

TruckerGuy:

wakou:

Yes I did. My problem with cyclists is they are the least likely to follow the law, and will use this as an excuse to get in the way of … motorized vehicles. They are also the most vocal with powerful lobbyists despite not paying a penny to be on the road, and do not require registration or insurance. The last two points must be made mandatory for them.

They pay tax like the rest of us, which is used to fund the roads? :laughing:

I agree they should need registration and insurance, but neither will ever happen.

TruckerGuy:

The VAT on the purchase of a bicycle will more than pay for the damage to the roads caused by that bicycle in its lifetime. And for the errr… zero pollution.
And as for “powerful lobby groups” …
The RHA? The FTA? Both are lobby groups with income streams of £millions. Can you name groups with similar leverage for cyclists? A tiny % of cyclists support small charites like Sustrans, mere minnows compared to the FTA and RHA.
If a 10 year-old wants to cycle to school, you want him to be taxed, insured, registered before he can do so? Do you think a 10 year-old should have the same responsibilties as an adult, trained, qualified and salaried professional in charge of 38 Tonnes of powerful metal?
How many truckers were killed by cyclists in the last 10 years? How many cyclists killed by trucks?