Fridge work uk only

I am getting more and more enquieries about fridges, is there money in this. I have done a little traction years ago for the old BOC, the money was good, but come january it went QT.

As usual, there is no mention of money, unless i go to meetings, the usual crap.

Basically, is there a return, and how hard are you expected to graft [legally].

I have a requirement to load upto the northwest daily from the Peterboro area, I can use the fridge to get to PB, as the freight down is box friendly.

I am also after more work for dry boxes and curtains from this area to the NW + Yorkshire.

Any advice ■■?

Lucky I did my own home work on this subject, seeing as the response was nil.

For the record, I am still not too sure, but the dry freight is extremely busy and Jan 2006 looks very good.

If the rates are right, I am interested, so “if” someone does react, let me know.

Have a great Christmas.

you’l probably get a better response next week when everyone’s parked up :wink:

I try to reserve comments to subjects I know (or know sombody who knows) about

In this case I cant help so thats why no response from me :wink: :laughing:

West Hallam Ram:
I am getting more and more enquieries about fridges, is there money in this. I have done a little traction years ago for the old BOC, the money was good, but come january it went QT.

As usual, there is no mention of money, unless i go to meetings, the usual crap.

Basically, is there a return, and how hard are you expected to graft [legally].

I have a requirement to load upto the northwest daily from the Peterboro area, I can use the fridge to get to PB, as the freight down is box friendly.

I am also after more work for dry boxes and curtains from this area to the NW + Yorkshire.

Any advice ■■?

Its good work IF you can get it Constantly but it is hard going with timings etc being temp controlled. If you have’nt got reloads sorted then it will be diificult as I found out many moons ago. Also fridges can be costly in maintaining and work is generally quiet after Xmas. Best time of yr for fridges is Xmas.

If you have work offered and can get consistent reloads paying both ways then go for it. Get a decent trailer or rent for a bit, Transrent are good, TIP expensive compared to Transrent. U will know you are covered for fridge repairs should the unthinkable happen.

Good luck and all the best

Thanks Routier, a nice bit of advice, you are right about TIP, but they normally come down in price if you tell them what you are being quoted elsewhere.
I think Dave Evans at Coventry Reefers will be my next port of call, he has had good things said about his company, so his comments along with yours may point me in the right direction.

I have also had a weeks free trial on “Coolload”, a very impressive set up there, have a look : www.coolload.com

Plenty of work, no mention of rates though.

Happy New Year.

I can tell you that CRL allways seemed to have plenty of work providing that you were wanting to load in Kent/ North West/ humberside and midlands, they tell you the rates for the job if its a good payer beforehand, though if its a bit slim theyre a bit evasive though they try to make it up with other work, Dave Evans is easy to work with, and i think they pay fairly prompt well my boss never complained about late paying. drawbacks, keep a record of every pallet movement blues and whites, any discrepency on exchange blues checkout with them before you leave site as they will charge for any outstanding pallets unless you can account for them. :wink:

West Hallam Ram:
Thanks Routier, a nice bit of advice, you are right about TIP, but they normally come down in price if you tell them what you are being quoted elsewhere.
I think Dave Evans at Coventry Reefers will be my next port of call, he has had good things said about his company, so his comments along with yours may point me in the right direction.

I have also had a weeks free trial on “Coolload”, a very impressive set up there, have a look : www.coolload.com

Plenty of work, no mention of rates though.
Happy New Year.

Ive done plenty of work with Coventry Reefers in the past, no probs with them and no messing with getting paid. However I also did work for Taylored Lines also who passed work onto Coventry Reefers who then passed it onto the likes of me. I recall missing out on a load with Taylored Lines who had just given the job away for a load for Tescos in Kent. Next minute I get a call of Coventry Reefers offering me the same load to Tescos in Kent but the rate had gone down by £40.Easy money for them for the price of a 20 pence call!!!

I had to take it as I needed to get to France to collect a load the following day.

But they are OK and I would recommend them.

Coolload is Good But…

Had a good few jobs of there albeit on or two were awkward, I cant remember the name of the company now but they got a lot of work of Solstor and subbed it back out. Some people just take on the work, take their cut and sub it back out. If they can make £40 per load and do 10 per day thats £400 , £2000 per week and all you need is a phone and the people silly enuff to take it. Many loads on there get subbed and the resubbed on several occasions and you end up getting the least slice of the cake.

I dont think you have anything to lose, get you list of contacts before you go full steam ahead, speak to themm get an idea of what they pay and most importantly their terms and even more so do ur research about them!!!.

I tell you another who I built up work with for the UK was Mont Blanc. they were fine. Try them, based near Manchester.

Good luck and keep us posted.

routier:
I recall missing out on a load with Taylored Lines who had just given the job away for a load for Tescos in Kent. Next minute I get a call of Coventry Reefers offering me the same load to Tescos in Kent but the rate had gone down by £40.Easy money for them for the price of a 20 pence call!!!.

We used to use them for back loads, i often wondered how you’d make it pay if you worked with them full time, as like you said a lot of their work has all ready come from another freight agent, like I said theyre the jobs that they wouldnt give you a price for prior to taking on the job, though if it gets you near home, to do your own out bound work its the price you pay :wink:

crl did a fair amount of loads for frigoscandia/birds eye which was good work the firm i worked for never had any problems with him worth a go id say