Please could someone help!

I ORDERED A NEW 6X2 SCANIA LAST MONTH AFTER BEING PROMISED WORK BY A REFRIGERATION COMPANY IN LIVERPOOL WIRH MY TRUCK ON ORDER AND EVERYTHING ORGANISED, “O” LICENCE ETC THEY NOW SAY THEY CAN’T OFFER FULL TIME WORK. I AM TOTALLY GUTTED AND WAS WONDERING IF ANYBODY KNOWS OF ANY COMPANIES IN THE NORTH WEST WHO USE OWNER DRIVERS ANY HELP WOULD BE IMMENSELY GRATEFUL. THANKS SHAUN.

I’m gutted for you mate, sounds like you’ve been badly let down.

I don’t know anything about Fridge work unfortunately. You’d probably get work on the containers, I’d certainly look at Maritime on the docks (Brian McWhirter is gaffer there, I think) - you can use their trailers, as well. I think Hanbury have got a place on the docks as well, or at least they’ve applied to use it as an operating centre.

Personally I’d steer away from trailer work - McBurney, Gwynedd Shipping etc - but that’s your choice.

Hope any of this helps

All the best

or if you dont mind local work theres freightliner in manchester as well as dhl

main thing to do is not panic there is work out there

Don’t take this the wrong way :exclamation: :exclamation:
You’ve ordered a £70 grand+ new truck to start of with and your planned source of work has just gone down the drain,out of interest what were they paying per mile :question:
To go with a brand new Scania as a new start O/D means your either a lottery winner or just got out of the madhouse :exclamation: :open_mouth: :sunglasses:

always plenty out of the docks if you don’t mind a bit of flatbed work and plenty of firms offering fulltime dedicated work that way on, wether it pays enough to cover a brand new wagon? might be a different story
would’ve thought if your geared up to do fridge work it wouldn’t be to hard to keep the wheels turning.

personally i would of got something in writing before i went and ordered a truck!

settdani:
personally i would of got something in writing before i went and ordered a truck!

Isnt contract law part of the CPC!

settdani:

I nominate this for most helpful post of 2007 :unamused: although I agree with the sentiment why bother eh? and in any case in 25 years i’ve never even seen a long term haulage contract and at this point don’t think I’d want to thanks

and it’s would HAVE by the way

you could try fowler welsh coolchain in washington or spalding, I do a bit on and off for them, they have loads all over the place. you can pull they,re fridges and you are sure to get paid same day every month. give them a call on 0870 588 2288 . dont give up, good luck.

thanks fellas for the help, got some possitive results and was speaking to a fella the other day from maritime. the money is’nt life changing but it’s a good start. my father in law is starting me off as an investment for me and my family so am really lucky to have the backing. thanks shaun

Shaun,
You did say your father in law had bought you the truck as an investment,do you think you will get a good return on your money pulling containers for approx £1.10/mile or there abouts :question:
Don’t forget you will now need a sliding skelly at £80/£100 per week too,ask yourself why Maritime need to advertise every month without fail in many of the truck magazines :exclamation: :exclamation: :blush:
Send a PM to “Tramper” he had three trucks on with Maritime for a few years and I’m sure he’ll give you some pointers. :slight_smile: :wink:

On the other hand cancel the Scania order and look at the black 2005 Merc Actros Megaspace MP2 at £47 grand at www.walkermovements.co.uk , ALOT of truck for the money and save yourself £30 grand from the Scanny deal. :sunglasses:

Sockpuppet:

settdani:

settdani has a good point, but in practice there’s still difficulties around this subject, even when it’s in writing. There’s a lot that isn’t written in the original question, so nobody can understand “the intent of the parties.”

Contract law is part of CPC and has been for many years. Sockpuppet, you might need to re-read that module. Then ask yourself: When is a contract not a contract? Alternatively, what elements are required in order to make the contract into a binding contract?

For example, if the offeror mentioned any kind of time limit, which subsequently expired before the truck was delivered and available, the offeree’s position could be weakened to the point that the “contract” is unenforceable.

CPC is fine, and it’s the best we’ve got at the moment, but it cannot hope to reflect the true complexity of the real world. It’s the same as the driving test- a minimum standard to carry on learning without supervision.

The original question is a fair one, and extremely worrying for shaun0151, but the question lacks detail. For that reason, most of what comes in this topic will probably be speculation, unless shaun0151 were to write the whole story in detail. He wrote just what he chose to write, and he probably has a good reason for having done so, but that is his choice.

Suggested further reading: the explanation of “frustrated contract” in the contract law module.

I wish shaun0151 well in his new venture. I hope that the guys who know the score with what work is about can provide him with good tips. If it were me, I’d have spent a lot less money on the first truck whilst assessing whether the whole idea is viable. I’d have kept the rest of the generously donated money as a cash-flow aid to avoid borrowings, or indeed times when people might @rse around saying one thing whilst meaning something else entirely. That brings us neatly back to settdani’s comment… :wink:

dieseldave:
Contract law is part of CPC and has been for many years. Sockpuppet, you might need to re-read that module. Then ask yourself: When is a contract not a contract? Alternatively, what elements are required in order to make the contract into a binding contract?

For example, if the offeror mentioned any kind of time limit, which subsequently expired before the truck was delivered and available, the offeree’s position could be weakened to the point that the “contract” is unenforceable.

CPC is fine, and it’s the best we’ve got at the moment, but it cannot hope to reflect the true complexity of the real world. It’s the same as the driving test- a minimum standard to carry on learning without supervision.

Well, yes. But I was more refering to basic contract knowledge that anyone wanting to be a OD should have such as:

Should I put down £70k on a new truck without a cast iron contract that I know I can keep.

As you say I dont know all the circumstances but I’ve entered agreement just to supply my time (i.e. I am a contractor) without more paperwork that what seems to be availible here.

I’d say unless the work is very nicely paying that any OD would find it hard to make a living with a new truck. Let some other fool take the depreciation hit on it.

Sockpuppet:
Well, yes. But I was more refering to basic contract knowledge that anyone wanting to be a OD should have such as:

Should I put down £70k on a new truck without a cast iron contract that I know I can keep.

As you say I dont know all the circumstances but I’ve entered agreement just to supply my time (i.e. I am a contractor) without more paperwork that what seems to be availible here.

I’d say unless the work is very nicely paying that any OD would find it hard to make a living with a new truck. Let some other fool take the depreciation hit on it.

I agree sockpuppet you’ve made good points- I’d ignored depreciation to be honest, but just for the purposes of discussion. In reality you’re right of course, it is an important point. My concern was for shaun0151 having a new truck, and possibly no cash reserve to keep him going until the payments/earnings start to flow inwards. We both had the same concern though… :wink:

On the other hand cancel the Scania order and look at the black 2005 Merc Actros Megaspace MP2 at £47 grand at www.walkermovements.co.uk , ALOT of truck for the money and save yourself £30 grand from the Scanny deal. :sunglasses:
[/quote]

Spoke too soon,its only been there a couple of days and its sold already :exclamation: :exclamation:
There’s still its 2006 sister truck there at £53 grand. :smiley: :wink:

Sockpuppet:

settdani:

the CPC has very little to do with actually running trucks :wink:

Big Truck:

or save even more HERE

:wink: :laughing: :laughing:

you can’t think of a truck as an investment, investments are supposed to increase in value but trucks only depreciate :wink:

I had been trading for 18 months and west pennine ,told me to go forth and multiply , that was with an £18k trade in…■■ nice :blush:

Or PM tramper, he’s got a nice S reg volvo 6x2 for sale at about £5,500 + vat
Globetrotter as well I think.

What work did you settle for in the end, Shaun?