Fridge advice needed

Never done this before

what advice can you give me :question:

Make sure you know which way to turn the dial, i.e make sure it is set to (minus)-28 and not +28, I have seen it done a few times. Most fridges will go from -30 to +30 so it is easy to do. :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

Hope it’s not multidrop…brrrrrrrr :open_mouth:

Make sure the RED diesel tank is full,and if it’s got one,put it on auto mode,so the engine only operates when the temperature rises.(You can check if this works by turning the temp very low,and if the engine starts,it works.)

Ken.

Before you set it to -28 make sure you’re not running chill. :blush: :blush:

Chunky:
Before you set it to -28 make sure you’re not running chill. :blush: :blush:

oopps sorry m8 ur bananas are solid :laughing:

Quinny:
Make sure the RED diesel tank is full,and if it’s got one,put it on auto mode,so the engine only operates when the temperature rises.(You can check if this works by turning the temp very low,and if the engine starts,it works.)

Ken.

several of the older Thermo kings we run are run on continous, they also have a seperate switch for the starter next to the on/off switch, but wont run on the donkey engine if someone has flicked over the standby mode switch, the one with red/green circles, if in doubt ask someone. As for setting the temp, **ALWAYS ASK BEFORE LEAVE THE YARD WHERE YOU HAVE LOADED WHAT THE TEMP SHOULD BE SET AT** that way youll cover your back.
the fridges with digital read outs - just press the arrows up/down till you get to the desired temp then press = to set.
no doubt someone will correct me :unamused:

…and if you’re on ‘frozen’ carry a ‘crow bar type of thing’ to lever open the doors when they have welded shut with -28 of ice!!

Also if it’s a double,make sure each compartment is set at right temp

When parking at night find a single laybye miles from me and residential areas :wink: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :smiling_imp:

Sort out how to switch them on and off before you leave the yard. Nothing worse than having a panic, ringing the office and being told rather abruptly to switch it off and on again. Errrrrrrr. Also make sure it’s switched on before you put it on a bay if the shunters don’t do it and that some idiot’s not having a laugh at your expense and has switched the fridge off for you after loading (I caught the joker at it and he was summarily dismissed on the spot £3000 + worth of cream cakes could have beeen ruined and it would have been my fault. That one I have absolutley no qualms about). Also make sure it’s not beeping any warnings at you, you’d be suprised how quickley they start if you don’t check the motor, just like ou would the unit :wink:. Trailers I’m not sure about and I assume you won’t be in a rigid, so could some one put him right on this?

if ya pick up a trailer and its empty fire it up before ya leave cuz if ya get to your collection and it dont work it can cause alsorts of problems that ya dont need and if ya can get hold of a sheet with the fault codes on very handy :laughing:

Carl:
if ya can get hold of a sheet with the fault codes on very handy :laughing:

try here since its a question I asked sometime ago trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic. … ault+codes

IF you look back in the forum there is a side with two pages of

fault points on fridges, also look up in the web for the transfrigo

site it may be able to help you, one point your boss should have said

what type of load you are going to transport also he should tell you

what temperature you should have in the fridge before you load, also

where you are picking up the load ask what temperature do they wish

put on the delivery/cmr notes. But if you can get before you start to

speak with a some fridgedrivers they will possibly also give you some

more (BETTER) advice.

also some fridges have 2 fridge motors with internal door (duel evaporaters)so ya can run frozen/fresh on one trailer :laughing:

did a multidrop run in a fridge wagon set to 0-degrees and had to keep it running during the drops out of resi areas to make sure the stuff stayed cool.

blimey - the thrumming had me nauseous and feeling ill by the end of the shift, standing in what is effectively a sound chamber with a fridge throbbing away :frowning:

check if any drops require the fridge motor turning off - some may be in residential areas where there’s fines payable if caught with it on.

Ive learned to sleep with the fridge running, though other parked at truckstops wont apreciate you parking up next em if your gonna leave the engine running overnight :open_mouth: :frowning:

One other thing… although several have told you to use the stop/start mode of running, you will get into trouble if you do this with produce or bananas. Lettuce and the like has to be run on constant… and bananas MUST ABSOLUTELY always be run on constant.
ALWAYS ALWAYS check with the loading office before departing what temp they want it run at!!!

If it’s not already been said, IF EVER the vehicle is out of your sight, check the temperature settings before you get back in. There are, unfortunately, a few malicious people about. I’ve even heard of the setting being altered whilst the driver was still in the yard getting his notes. :open_mouth:

TheBear:
Lettuce and the like has to be run on constant… and bananas MUST ABSOLUTELY always be run on constant.

I’ve never heard that before, although I wouldn’t dispute it.

I know of one run, with a split load, where Customer 1 has both +3’s and +10’s. Customer 2’s load is +3. No names but what Customer 2 doesn’t realize is that his pallets go in with the +10’s and get carted about for 6 hours at that temperature.

After the first deliveries, the fridge is reset to +3. Customer 2, just up the road, might one day find this out, but only if they somehow manage to tip the load without a compulsory two hour wait. :laughing:

Krankee:
If it’s not already been said, IF EVER the vehicle is out of your sight, check the temperature settings before you get back in. There are, unfortunately, a few malicious people about. I’ve even heard of the setting being altered whilst the driver was still in the yard getting his notes. :open_mouth:

TheBear:
Lettuce and the like has to be run on constant… and bananas MUST ABSOLUTELY always be run on constant.

I’ve never heard that before, although I wouldn’t dispute it.

I know of one run, with a split load, where Customer 1 has both +3’s and +10’s. Customer 2’s load is +3. No names but what Customer 2 doesn’t realize is that his pallets go in with the +10’s and get carted about for 6 hours at that temperature.

After the first deliveries, the fridge is reset to +3. Customer 2, just up the road, might one day find this out, but only if they somehow manage to tip the load without a compulsory two hour wait. :laughing:

I work for a company that has about 750 reefer units. Most produce requires being set on continuous running. Lettuce especially must be kept within 2-5 degrees above freezing. Frozen foods loads, however, need to be kept as cold as possible.

Yes, always make sure your unit is working before you load. If it isn’t, they’ll have to remove the load so you can go out and get it fixed. Not a good way to get on with shippers or dispatchers.

If you are carrying frozen foods and your unit stops working, remember, ut will take time for the load to get warm. Often, an early unloading is easier to do than a late repair.