Fridges - Information Please

There is a possibility that I could have a new job soon on fridges running fruit and veg out of Murcia.

The last time I worked with fridges was nearly 20 years ago and so I could do with some pointers on operating procedures etc… Stuff like:

Do you have to manually defrost and if so how often?

Are the controls easy to use? - my last one had a couple of toggle switches and a dial for the temp!!

And any thing else you can think of which would be useful to know.

Thanks in advance.

The fridges these days are very good a big difference to 20 years ago!!!
They auto defrost now, and they reach temp quickly and hold it better the boxes are more thermo efficient.
The displays are mostly LCD with a temp up and down then a set button, dead easy. If you get a plug in on the boat remember to switch back to engine don’t leave it on electric or assume the deck hands will switch it back!!!

You do get some fridges with double compartments, ie you can carry fresh and frozen, these are also straight forward, just don’t get the compartments mixed up,you could end up with frozen oranges and fresh Ice cream!!!

Thanks for that mate - I have to say the control panel looked damned complicated to me when I last had a look!

pity it wasn’t last month. had a quantity of Load Lok retaining bars various types for fridge trailor
advertised on here “For sale or Swap” free just to pick up

no takers so went for scrap

reasonable price as they were aluminuim

Not a lot of use to me as Im based in Spain and work for a Spanish firm - but Im suprised no one took up your offer in UK.

Most fridges have the codes and symbols written on the inside of the fridge(engine) doors, all you do is use the up or down arrows for temp then press = on a Thermo King or on a Carrier what looks like the return key on your computer and the temp will be stored for that trip also Carrier has a symbol that looks like Carlos the Jackal :sunglasses: this saves fuel and your ears,when the fridge reaches its temp it switches off when it it gets warmer ,by about, 3 degrees it switches itself back on ,I think the Thermo King one is a circle with arrows I’m not sure, all so they have silent modes The Carrier has a Tortoise symbol and I think the Thermo King has a Motorway sign

pm,d you