Fridge advice needed

Krankee:
I know of one run, with a split load, where Customer 1 has both +3’s and +10’s. Customer 2’s load is +3. No names but what Customer 2 doesn’t realize is that his pallets go in with the +10’s and get carted about for 6 hours at that temperature.

After the first deliveries, the fridge is reset to +3. Customer 2, just up the road, might one day find this out,

The last time I drove fridges on agency (a week at a ‘green & white’ company :wink: ) their fridges printed out temp readings for every ‘X’ period, usually set to 5 mins. The tips I was going to all took temp readings before accepting the delivery and supposidly, if they had any problems with the stock at a later date i.e. it went ‘off’ before it’s normal expiry date, the first place they looked was to the delivery company who then needed to produce the print-outs for that vehicle.

Bearing in mind theses temp readings were from each section of the trailer, the above example (the quote) would (or should) be soon found out.

Most companies will run at set temps…

-22 or -5
+3
maybe +10

Most of the time the driver wont need to do anymore than turn it on and off, BUT always ask anyway if it’s not on your paperwork…

IF you have to change it, then the old units have a dial, and the newer units have a digi display… On the later, lift the flap, press “+” or “-” to the appropriate temp, then press “=”

Most of the newer trl’s have multiple compartments too… Either channels up each side, or front to rear… Some of the time there are temporary partition (walls) that fold out to provide the seperate area’s.
Just remember if you have any ‘doors’ between the compartments, to close then after you’ve finished the drop, otherwise you’ll just get one average temp, and a knackered load…

If you back up to a bay at an RDC or similar, than leave the fridge running as most places prefer you to do so.
If you’re un / loading off a bay then ALWAYS turn the fridge OFF…
Yes the temp will rise, but you have got the doors open… !!!
If you leave it running with the doors open it will keep constantly trying to freeze the whole yard and inevitably freeze up and have to go into “defrost” anyway, which will stop it cooling the produce… Infact the temp will drop back to original QUICKER if you turn the fridge off whilst you’ve got the doors open, as it’ll be completely ‘ice’ free at startup…
AND… If it’s a residential area (supermarket deliveries being my speciality) and it’s before 8am, then you HAVE to turn the donkey off regardless… Don’t forget that the trl boxes are insulated, and if you keep the door shut, they will hold temp reasonably well for atleast 30mins…

HTH’s…

Luv
Chrisie…

And beware of any ice on the floor if it’s running on multi compartment/temp operations.

My mate discovered that a few years ago,when he was on such an operation,to the point the bulkhead doors weren’t closed properly,and he slipped on the floor,due to icing.

After a long legal battle,he came away with a nice tidy sum of wonga. :smiley:

Ken.

Park a long way away from me at night. :laughing:

Couple of points I don’t think have been covered.

If you set off empty to load at some distant point, set the frigo going so you are ready to load when you get there. If not, it can take a very long time just sitting to get the temperature down of an empty box.

If, like me, you can’t sleep with the constant stop/start of the frigo all night, find a layby away from habitation, and if possible at the exit away from other trucks, drop the trailer and park the unit with the cab front inches from the back doors. You’d be surprised how quiet it is with the trailer in between.

Has been mentioned but can’t be emphasised enough - regarding temperature, ASK and CHECK paperwork.

Salut, David.

And if you find it won’t start due to a flat battery,the fridge is 12v,so if you have to jump it from the truck batteries make sure you only connect to 12v ie 1 battery.