Freelance

Anyone on here do Freelance work as a courier?

if so what is it like?
whats the dosh like?
and whats the work like?

i am thinking of doing it on my days off and want to know if it is worth it

pm alix766 for the bad news.

that bad jd? :frowning:

never make it in a month of sundays part time,its hard enough full time,dont think its just fuel and time,its full courier ins,GIT,PL,maintenence,wages,advertising,VAT,TAX,NI,accountant and a little known thing like fuel,so do your homework and work out what you need to earn a week,add all of the above and then you know how much to charge,ive been doing this for just over 3yrs(light haulage)and have seen a few guys come in and say"ive got a van and enjoy driving"then cut the rate to get the work then realise they cant make it pay then give up,leaving us to pick up the dregs.Harsh i know but truth hurts,so think very hard before you take the plunge

thanks for that advice

If you’re serious Mickyblue, try codforum, it’s an owner driver forum, the guys on there will give you all the advice you might need.

mickyblue:
Anyone on here do Freelance work as a courier?

if so what is it like?

Crap

whats the dosh like?

Crap and you have to fight for it, sometimes not being paid for several weeks after the invoice was due, assuming the customer doesn’t go bust.

and whats the work like?

Really silly hours chasing yourself stupid. No such thing as a day off.

i am thinking of doing it on my days off and want to know if it is worth it

If you’re a lorry driver, you can’t. It counts as other work for the purposes of both tachograph rules and working time directive so you’d not get sufficient weekly rest for the tacho and would exceed the weekly average for the WTD.

lucky for me i work for the police force but i just had a chat with my boss and looks like i can’t do it because my role comes first :angry: :unamused: :open_mouth: