Foriegn people doing my job

maybe a good read

Here’s an immigration story you are unlikely to read in other newspapers, and don’t hear too often from the Government
By Jeremy Laurance, Health Editor
02 March 2004

They are of all colours, all backgrounds and from all points of the globe. Some came for love, some for money, some for a better life, but they are all working for one purpose ­ to keep the NHS going.

Home Office figures show that 44,443 healthcare staff from countries outside the European Union were issued with work permits last year, a 27-fold increase on the number in 1993.
They fill every role in the health service from doctors and nurses to pharmacists, radiographers and occupational therapists. They go where British professionals are reluctant to work ­ traffic-choked inner cities and grimy housing estates ­ and they perform the essential caring tasks that their British counterparts are reluctant to take on.

The North Middlesex University Hospital in Edmonton, north London, is typical of many that depend on this army of foreign healthcare workers, with nurses from Ghana, doctors from Pakistan and the manager of the intensive care unit from Kerala, south India.

The efforts of these overseas staff counter the charge that immigration is imposing an unacceptable burden on our most valued institutions.

As the Home Secretary, David Blunkett, tightens the screws on asylum-seekers and raises the bar to entry by citizens of the expanded EU, the British Medical Association said yesterday that foreign health workers were the lifeblood of the NHS. “These overseas medics have a vital role to play. It takes 10 years to train a GP and 15 years to train a consultant, so even though the Government is pouring money into recruitment now the effects will not be seen for many years,” a spokeswoman said.

Some sections of the press have honed their xenophobia with allegations of “health tourism” against foreign visitors bent on exploiting the NHS. They have mounted a sustained attack on immigration, with campaigns against “benefit tourists” and asylum-seekers who allegedly jump council house waiting lists.

The sensitive issue of immigration ­ and asylum in particular ­ is proving to be a minefield for ministers to negotiate. This was demonstrated last night when the Government suffered a backbench revolt over its plans to stop welfare payments to failed asylum-seekers. Twenty-eight Labour MPs backed an attempt to scrap the plans, but the move failed when it was voted down by 444 to 82.

While ministers have been eager to hail their own efforts to tackle the asylum issue, they have been less keen to trumpet the success of the growing army of immigrants who perform an invaluable role in the health service.

This is the other picture ­ of an NHS dependent on the commitment and labour of people who were not born here. Most go into the NHS, but some are recruited by the private and voluntary sectors. The vast majority are nurses: more than 27,000 were recruited in 2003.

The chief source is the developing world, with the Philippines topping the league last year with permits issued to 8,749 health workers, closely followed by India with 7,367. South Africa came third with 4,422. This has led to charges that Britain is stripping the developing world of its skilled staff.

Ministers banned recruitment from the hardest-hit countries in 2001 but struck deals with others, including the Philippines and India, which had a surfeit of staff. But private recruitment agencies have evaded the ban and Britain continues to hire staff from some of the poorest countries in the world. Of the top 25 countries from which Britain recruited last year, 15 are on the banned list.

John Reid. the Health Secretary, yesterday launched a £4m campaign to boost home recruitment across the NHS. A health department spokesman said four new medical schools would provide extra doctors in the long term but the NHS would continue to rely on overseas staff in the short term. Paul Burston, health spokesman for the Liberal Democrats said last night: "The NHS could not survive without foreign staff, especially as they work in some of the less glamorous jobs. There is no doubt we exploit overseas workers and we should be grateful they are rescuing us from failing to invest in a home-grown health service."
There is a worldwide shortage of skilled health workers, and a global market that governments, commercial agencies and individuals have learnt to exploit. The market is getting tougher as countries compete for extra pairs of skilled hands. In the UK the numbers coming from overseas are still a tiny proportion of the 1.3 million NHS staff ­ but they are a vital element that the health service cannot do without.
4 March 2004 22:28

source news.independent.co.uk/uk/health … ory=497010

Worried about your kids health for the future who will be looking after them i wonder

as i suspected, so many of the people on here are too polically correct. why do blacks work on the buses? why do asians have corner shops? why do chinese have restarants? because, thats what they do. fair enough. they don’t bother me and i don’t bother them. but now that they want the lorry jobs I AM AFFECTED. OK?

Bulldog,

I’m getting a bit confused here. I have just re-read your original post and gather that you are currently employed as a driver with Tesco - is this right?
I got the impression that you had been passed over for a driving job because you are white - is this the case?
Do you have a problem with “foreigners” i.e. people who originated outwith the British Isles, be they French, German, Australian, American or whatever (white people) or by “foreigner” are you specifically referring to people who have a different colour skin than yourself. In other words is it people with a different coloured skin to yourself driving trucks that is your real complaint?

Tom

And what if the asians/blacks were to now take the british citizen ship would you still be against them as they would then legally be British subjects ■■

my next door neighbour is a taxi driver in london - a black taxi driver. an old british institution with a lot of history attached to it. there are approx 160,000 black cabs in london. 98% of the drivers are white and english. they have to go through 3 years intesive training - the “knowledge test”. they have to learn the roads of london inside out - approx 200,000 streets, they have to buy a black taxi - approx £30,000. they are regulated by the met police and their backgrounds are thoroughlly checked. they are a proper institution and run their businnesses honourably and go about their everday work the right way. Also their taxis are mot’d twice a year.
There is also another cab industry in london - the unlicensed minicab.
there are about 250,00 minicabs here. 99% of the drivers are forign. pakistan, nigeria, jamaican etc etc. They don’t have to do any test. their backgrounds are not checked by anyone. their cars are not checked to see if they are roadworthy. most would also be signing on. they don’t have proper insurance and many would have suspect licences. what am i getting at? well, make your own conclusions. the figures are from the official black cab journal.

yes, i work for tesco. no, i haven’t been overlooked for a job because i am white but i know a few people that have, especially at my depot.

And for my final word i just want to know

Did you honestly expect to come on here and get replies along the lines of

"Yes i can’t stand the coming here nicking our jobs they should all be sent back home where they belong "

You will find that at least 95% of the british population will have some personal contact within their family/friends with asians/blacks or other races and religions

bulldog:
as i suspected, so many of the people on here are too polically correct. why do blacks work on the buses? why do asians have corner shops? why do chinese have restarants? because, thats what they do. fair enough. they don’t bother me and i don’t bother them. but now that they want the lorry jobs I AM AFFECTED. OK?

If there is a shortage of HGV drivers how can people from ethnic groups be taking all the driving jobs?
Having seen the posts you have put on previouly before they were removed I know what your real issue is. If I’m politicaly correct then you are a racist.

Do you have a problem with “foreigners” i.e. people who originated outwith the British Isles, be they French, German, Australian, American or whatever (white people) or by “foreigner” are you specifically referring to people who have a different colour skin than yourself. In other words is it people with a different coloured skin to yourself driving trucks that is your real complaint?

■■

Tom

Best thing to do is ignore this guy

He may go away!

What about the way Black people are treated in places like Australia or the old South Africa? where white people thought they were superior ?
Are you a christian Bulldog ? Jesus was black.
I used to work for Tesco and I can tell you that I have never know any company that was more of an equal opertunity employer. Maybe your Son didn’t get the job because his attitude is like yours, or his intellingence ? having read your posts I can already tell you have no idea of grammar or spelling.
It is people like you that provoke racial trouble which in turn causes others to hate minority’s.
I agree that there are too many immigrants and asylum seekers over there but most black, asian or others were born in the UK, they didn’t ask to be British and I’m sure when thet meet ignorant people like you they wish they were not :angry:

Time to lock this one I think, going nowhere with this guy!

Bulldog, (the nickname is a bit of a clue really?) I am sure you would join with me in congratulating the moderators of this site for allowing you to make the original post and for the thread to continue. In a true democracy people should be free to express their own personal viewpoints on the understanding that it does not “cross the line” whereby it may cause offence to others.

You obviously hold very strong views and convictions regarding the ethnicity and perhaps more importantly for you, even stronger views regarding the skin pigmentation of your fellow human beings. You appear keen to express these deeply held views so that others can be made aware of these beliefs. May I humbly, and without offence, suggest you seriously consider attending night classes at your local college, with a view to perhaps improving your grammar and spelling and general use of the language that you are so proud of.

Failure to do so could result in the stereotypical, widely held view that most truck drivers are thick, racist, bigots who can hardly string a sentence together, being applied to yourself - heaven forbid.

Goodnight.

Tom

P.S. I have just checked in the mirror and can confirm that I am NOT white.
But never mind, we can’t all be perfect.

THIS IS OUTRAGEOUS!!! LOOK AT THE GUYS NICK… BULLDOG… WHATS THAT TELL YOU??

Rikki, I have never classed myself as left wing politically… in some cases, I can be right wing BUT I keep my views to myself and I have NEVER seen such an appalling post on this site!!! How can you allow this■■?

It is a post full of absolute tosh and I am surprised it is still here

I am going to lock this thread now…

Bulldog has made his point and other members have made theirs.

cheers
STEVE.