Foden info anyone?

Just a couple of quick questions.

Firstly the Foden 2 strokes. Can anyone tell me what displacement they were, what the power outputs got up to (I’ve heard 200bhp ■■) and when were they phased out of production? I assume the 2 stoke used the 12 speed Foden box to keep it singing, I guess it wasnt as torquey as a 4 stroke?

Secondly S80 series, when were they produced from and till? Did they ever get equipped with the aforementioned 2 stroke? Anyone got any good pics, esp of the interior?

Many thanks for any info

What type/make of 2T motors were they?

Reason I ask, the Chieftain tanks I used to drive used a Leyland L60 motor. This was a 19litre, 6 cyl opposed piston 2T with a Rootes type supercharger, the -13A version was rated at 750hp and running through a 5f/2r Wilson epicyclic box had plenty of torque to move 56t of tank. I heard, but can’t confirm, that the L60 was the same basic engine that was used in some Leyland buses (without the supercharger).

The generating unit was a 7litre Coventry Climax 3cyl opposed piston 2T but I can’t remember the power rating (we weren’t bothered about power rating for a generator :laughing: ). I’ll have to have a dig around and see if I still have any manuals knocking around if anyone’s interested in details of these engines.

Jules

I think the Foden 2 stokes were around 4-6 litre capacity but I am not sure. Those tank ones sound a trifle bigger!! I think the generator would be more powerful!

Boots O’Lead:
Reason I ask, the Chieftain tanks I used to drive used a Leyland L60 motor. This was a 19litre, 6 cyl opposed piston 2T with a Rootes type supercharger, the -13A version was rated at 750hp and running through a 5f/2r Wilson epicyclic box had plenty of torque to move 56t of tank. I heard, but can’t confirm, that the L60 was the same basic engine that was used in some Leyland buses (without the supercharger)

I believe the largest engine used in Leyland buses was the 680, then the later TL11/L11 which I think were both around the 11 litre mark, although the 690 was fitted to at least one double-decker during the early 80s. The other common Leyland engines used in buses were the disastrous 510, and 501, along with a few smaller ones.

I should imagine even lacking a supercharger the L60 would be enough to frighten the grannies going to do their shopping somewhat!..

deaks buses were mainly fitted with the 505 lump,or so i can remember

The AV505 was an AEC engine - not a Leyland.

People - Foden lorries, not Leyland b**es!! I know they are all the same holding company now… but.

I think we covered av760/TL11/TL12 engines in the rolls/gardner engine info thread didnt we?

Anyway I may have a lead on some Foden 2 stroke info, when I know more I will post. Anyone got any pics/memories of the S80 series?

D"OH, D"OH, so it was didnt read the bloody thread right sorry . marky what a clever chap you are :wink: :wink:

globby 480:
D"OH, D"OH, so it was didnt read the bloody thread right sorry . marky what a clever chap you are :wink: :wink:

Slow down - Marky won’t be able to get his head through the door in a minute :laughing: Mind you, he does have more lorry books than the national library :wink:

Boden kindly provided me some stats and memories of various Fodens and confirmed the two stroke engine finished up around 225hp. However he was unsure whether it was deleted from the Foden catalouge around 70/71 or whether it continued to be available in military vehicles up to the end of the 70’s. Anyone shed some light on that?

Anyway heres a couple pics of a nice two stroke from the Dorset Steam Fair this year. Notice my wife eyeing it up in the 2nd pic - I’m sure she wants me to get one really :laughing:

Thanks again for the pictures, nice ones

Looks liek one on ebay, wonder if its out of a trawler? Do they gearboxes??
cgi.ebay.co.uk/foden-6cyl-engine … dZViewItem

You bidding on it Steve? Looks like a few nights in for a long time :open_mouth: :laughing: .

Salut, David.

Spardo:
You bidding on it Steve? Looks like a few nights in for a long time :open_mouth: :laughing: .

Salut, David.

Sadly, no! There was a Commer TS3 that went for 185 quid last week I fancied, but I just cant think of a use for the Foden engine, unless I can fit it under the bonnet of my old Golf tow car I used to use for karting… Anyway I think his reserves too high for me!

Ta da! Yahoo | Mail, Weather, Search, Politics, News, Finance, Sports & Videos
It took a while

If you look in March 2005 Heritage commercials magazine there is an article on a Foden Alpha with the C12-450 engine against a 1970 Foden S36 2 stroke on a run down from scotland toChesterfield to tip, over to Buxton to reload and back up to scotland. The old S36 was 0.36 MPG better on juice!! I’d like to see a re-run with a ■■■■■■■ in the alpha.

hi this is my father he used to drive this foden and it was fitted with a 2 stroke

my farther worked for w reeves and son of manchester but based in southampton they did night truncks to manchester and back the next day he told me that one of the other fodens had a problem and couldnt be repaird quickly and they wouldnt have it of the road so for a whole week he towed the other foden on a bar behind his both loaded back and forth to manchester and southampton untill it was repaired he said it pulled as well with 2 trucks as it did on its own and that was on the old roads all done with a 2 stroker were they brave drivers or what