PERKINS ENGINES

I don’t have any photos,but i did work were they used to get there tacho checks
done,and remeber the obvious ford D-series tractors with V8s,they also had some Merc 1626s re-engined for evaluation work with very quiet and smooth running
TV8-640s (IIRC around 250bhp),there was a leyland roadtrain with a pre production
Tx425,and an old dodge commando 7.5 ton fitted with a 4cyl turbo phaser and allison
auto box,as a trial for the US market.

A few pics from Classic Commercial mag (Britain has it used to be before the govt past & present made a b-lls of it)

Ah, Perkins’ Queen Street factory, now buried under the Queensgate Shopping Centre.
I’m still hoping someone can come up with a picture of one of their dark blue Seddons.

hi.
remember in the fifties seeing a couple of perkins test lorries traveling through wellingborough every night,they were american units, loaded with gravel,they were painted dark blue.
cheers diesel

Any one remember the L4’ what a pig of an engine to start, impossible without the ether squirt

There was tipper operator G.E.Moore from near Carnforth who created an 8 wheeler out of a Dodge K 1050 4 wheeler and this motor was sent to Peterborough where it had a V8 transplanted into it for test purposes,prior to the engine being sold to the vehicle manufacturers.I was told this info by one of my retired ex drivers who was the Foreman at Moores in the late 60’s and he drove the Dodge to Peterborough for the “operation”.May-be “Truckfing” can shed more light on this motor,maybe even a photo.Cheers Bewick.

Well, still no pictures of their Seddons, but I’ve found these two of their more recent vehicles.

These were on contract from Exel, after Perkins had disposed of there own fleet.
I’d still love to see pictures of their Seddons if anyone has any.

Hiya …was their a Scania 110 on test with a perkins V8 at one time.

3300John:

I feel quite sure that there was. I seem to remember passing the factory, in particular the area where they kept test vehicles, and
seeing a blue 110 day-cab.

An advertisement from Commercial Motor , dated July 3 rd. 1953.
Hope this is of interest to you.

Cheers , cattle wagon man.

cattle wagon man:
An advertisement from Commercial Motor , dated July 3 rd. 1953.
Hope this is of interest to you.

I like the reference to Van Doorne Vehicles - better known now as DAF.

I thought this photograph was already shown on this thread , but upon checking again , it`s another one.

Scan215.jpg

gb1:

3300John:

I feel quite sure that there was. I seem to remember passing the factory, in particular the area where they kept test vehicles, and
seeing a blue 110 day-cab.

That day cab Scania you saw was owned by MAT transport, they also put a V6 in a Leyland Boxer owned by MAT. The 110 was very quick but it had a nasty habit of the engine cutting out at low revs like T junctions and the like. The dash had a data recording pod just to the left of the handbrake and the cab was raised up on its mounts to accommodate the engine.
Cliff

Thanks for the info carlc.
Someone, somewhere, must have pictures.

revman:
have a look on na3t perkins erf -blue

Not too sure on how we stand with putting NA3T pictures on here, but here’s a PERKINS ENGINES ERF in the blue livery
that I recall.

PERKINS.jpg

I used to load Perkins engines out of Peterboro, if they weren’t ready I used to walk down the the perhistoric site on the marsh to have a look. If it was overnight it was Pizza and a movie. Italy was always 3 or 4 drops. Romania was 1 drop and so was Turkey. It was always a good load, as everything was well packed and didn’t move around. It was never stacked up either, and always sealed from the factory so none of the forwarders could load anything else on top.
The only bad one I did was when I had to sit in Istanbul for 4 days waiting for customs before I could go on to the factory to tip.

Jeff…

3300John:

Guess this is it.

perkinsscania.jpg

gb1:
Well, still no pictures of their Seddons, but I’ve found these two of their more recent vehicles.

These were on contract from Exel, after Perkins had disposed of there own fleet.
I’d still love to see pictures of their Seddons if anyone has any.

I wonder how the Erf ( presumably an eagle diesel ) preformed against the Foden ,but was the Foden a ■■■■■■■ or a cat ,cat being the perkins group owner .

I’ve got some perkins engines ,a 4 cylinder in a bonser ,5 generators with 3 cyl ,a geni with. a 4 cyl turbo ,2 lorries with 6.354s in ,2 spare 6.354s ,The biggest I’ve had was a V 12 perkins 600 kva ,truly great engines .

A Perkins 335 in this one that went well at 32 ton gross.