First truck I ever went in

This was me dads truck used to go with him as a kid. What was your first truck you went in? Any pictures?

Used to go in a guy invinceable to to st austall when i was a kid with a big air filter in the cab

First ever truck I rode in was was a Vulcan. It was in the late 40’s and was my fathers. It was in BRS colours then as everything was, due to nationalisation because of the war. Strange really because I’ve always remembered the registration number… GAA 876. Long gone now and so is my old dad.
I must have done thousands of miles in the passenger seat of many different old trucks that he drove in the 50’s. Most of you see them at old truck shows now, restored and gleaming but for me they hold a different memory.

Leyland Hippo tipper ,1947, from Eyam in the Peak District to Huddersfield.
belonged to my mate’s dad.Took all day and came home deaf but chuffed to little apples. :laughing:
You’rs right TIR,it’s nice to see old wagons restored but my memories are from when they were working. :wink:

Now then Chris.1947.Were you born then? The first lorry( sorry I can’t spell truck) I was ever in was a Canadian Dodge driven by my dad.He was in the RAF I’m sorry to admit it was 1943.

7.5 Ton Leyland terrier with a removals body on it. DCG 73?S…God,
I need to get out more!!!

charlie one:
Now then Chris.1947.Were you born then? The first lorry( sorry I can’t spell truck) I was ever in was a Canadian Dodge driven by my dad.He was in the RAF I’m sorry to admit it was 1943.

1942 I was born Charlie - I was a war baby - me mother shouted “Warh”,but it were too late. :laughing:

The first truck I was in was when I was 2years old and going with families to pick hops in Kent. Sorry can’t remember what make, but it was an open one for the workers sit in the back. Liz

That must have been just before the war Liz.You told fibs about your age :laughing: :laughing:

charlie one:
That must have been just before the war Liz.You told fibs about your age :laughing: :laughing:

Why before the war?, I am only 45 year old and still can (just) remember the hop wagons collecting families from Deptford to go down to Kent in the late 60’s . Although to be honest it was probably only a couple of farms left doing it at that point

68-70,my first ride was in me dads power plus octopus tipper,
running out of pottal pool just outside cannock. :slight_smile:

I was born in 1945 and proud to be 62, going on for 45. Never need to lie about my age.

scanialady142:
I was born in 1945 and proud to be 62, going on for 45. Never need to lie about my age.

62 today - 2 to ten tomorrow. :laughing:

Sorry,I’ll get me coat.

far as i can remember i think it wouldve been a 141 or maybe even an 81

me dads old cattle truck - it was almost vintage before he traded it in for a ford D series :wink:

not for the purists,this one…
1985 IVECO 79-14…sorry :blush:
it belonged to my dad and was very new at the time maybe 18 months old,it still had all the plastic coverings inside the cab…it wasn’t the ford cargo,it had the turbozeta shape cab on it…how many of those have you seen recently?
i doubt you could restore one nowadays it was starting to rust then and it was pretty much straight out the box…lol.

a d series me dad used to drive when his 2800 daf was poorly :slight_smile:

one just like this - in the late 70’s early 80’s

noisy, slow, smoky, extremely bumpy but fantastic fun

if anyone knows of one that hasn’t turned completely to rust - I’d love to buy it!

Ford Thames Trader 2 axle tipper about 1963 I think

Regards Pat

Welcome home Pat. The Trader four wheel tipper you first road in may be just up the road from you. John Sibley has one and it used to be in his yard. If you remember years ago old Ron Sibley ran a fleet of them.
Dennis, thats a nice photo of your dads’ Bedford cattle lorry. If I am not wrong, the way that Bedford is put in the top of the grille in large letters denotes that it was fitted with a Leyland Comet engine. The normal Bedford had a complete grille the same as the bottom and Bedford in small letters over the top.
Please someone tell me that I am not wrong because thats what I was told when they first came out.