What was your first lorry

Bedford TK luton MYJ 475J, 4-speed (well that’s what it said on the stick) with the 466 engine, and standard armstrong steering with worn kingpins.

Seddon Atkinson 210 4 wheel rigid.M807SRS was the reg.Was on for Munro of Aberdeen out of East Kilbride depot covering South West Scotland and Ayrshire.

pton

mine was a bedford tk my dad had running machinery about i was nine at the time driving it round farm we alsop had a f7 8 wheeler on muck shift past my test at 18 on young drivers scheme in 2000 my first truck was e reg foden 8 wheeler with 300 rolls 13 speed eaton my first arctic was when i was 14 on immingham docks empying coal boats it was a atki sttrato with 325 rolls and eaton twin splitter past my class 0ne at twenty in 2002 had a scania 113 380 l reg then daf 85 380 then costumizd iveco turbostar 420 twinsplitter love that gear box i got now a scania r500 v8 hightline on bulk tippers todays driver woudnt now what to do in a old erf with twin splitter box with there auto box and sat nav just an atlas for me

My first go at trucking :smiley:

First actual HGV at 21 (pre HGV licence days) was a bonneted Bedford TJ, four speed box with eaton two speed axle, swb 5cu yd tipper. Eight loads a day from a local gravel pit to the washer plant round trip of about 18 miles, 4s 6d an hour, lasted six long months but after that I was considered experienced enough to respond to ‘driver wanted’ vacancies. Worked for another couple of local firms on four wheel flatbeds rope and sheet then at 23 started long distance driving with a 20 ton Albion Riever tipper. :sunglasses:

My very first lorry was a small red Tri-ang tipper in about 1949 :laughing: .

Dave the Renegade:

hiya,
240 Gardner Dave.■■.
thanks harry long retired.

harry_gill:

Dave the Renegade:

hiya,
240 Gardner Dave.■■.
thanks harry long retired.

Just a common toddler-push engine Harry :laughing: .
Cheers Dave.

Dave the Renegade:

:smiley: :smiley: come to think of it my first lorry was a Scammell Handyman with tilt in Ferrymasters livery, I was 10 when I got it. :wink:

Corgi did some good stuff back then…

My first legal truck was a non-hgv threepenny bit BMC, my first HGV was Bedford tk artic (NCL), but the first truck I drove was an S21 Foden, thanks to my old man, at the age of 13 through Workington Steel, try doing that these days!!!

My first was in the Army -Bedford QL .first civilian was an ex WD Bedford tipper -then journey work with ex WD Bedford flat bed — could not get away from them! that is until i joined BRS and then drove all sorts of Proper trucks!
Toshboy

Was going to put my first lorry up but The extension url is not allowed, why is that? :confused:

What was the first lorry that you drove on a regular basis. I started at 19 on an Austin FG builders lorry a 3 ton tipper with a 4 cylinder deisel,before that I drove vans from 17 onwards as well as general builders jobs.
Cheers Dave.

Thames Trader.Four speed box.I could pee faster.Regards Charlie :laughing: :laughing:

For 1st week S type bedford then a 2stroke commer fastest motor i ever drove.

JAT204D TK Bedford 10 ton gross, ex Corrals coal delivery wagon no heater!!!

Regards Pat

Albion riever 6 wheel flatback reg ren 849

Leyland Super Comet CNU 496G for Harry Bonsall Ripley Derbyshire the photo was taken at Ketton Cement works tipping gypsum stone

Dave the Renegade:
What was the first lorry that you drove on a regular basis. I started at 19 on an Austin FG builders lorry a 3 ton tipper with a 4 cylinder deisel,before that I drove vans from 17 onwards as well as general builders jobs.
Cheers Dave.

My first lorry - that I drove from my 17th birthday untill I was 21,-- was a Thames Trader 5 tonner with a 6 cylinder engine, -flat bed with drop sides. I drove the Trader for 4 years hauling pitwood to most of the coal pits, - Bowaters Elesmere Port,-and Sudbrook Pulp Mill.
My return loads were cattle food and fertilizers from Avonmouth before the Severn Bridge, and Slag from Portalbot and Stoke on Trent.
I was hauling slag and lime loose in bulk when using the drop sides, and shovelling it into the lime spreader. I even drove the lime spreaders. The loades were allways 8 tons – but the timber loads were between 8 and 11 tons - The only trouble I had with Trader was fitting 4 new gearboxes. Well that was my life until I was 21 ( 1968 ).
I could write another book from 1968 to 1997. – I had to finish lorry driving at the age of 50, due to having a stroke.
I am enjoying life now on ill health retirement.
regards - Hywel Price.