First truck I ever went in

Hi Nobby and thanks.

No the Thames Trader tipper was one of Trants when my dad worked for Phil Trant the founder then in 1965 he went on a 22RB dragline and backactor for them

Regards Pat

my first truck experience was my dad`s ford D310 customcab , at the age of 4 :wink:

scanialady142:
I was born in 1945 and proud to be 62, going on for 45. Never need to lie about my age.

Sorry madam.I didn’t think you would get the hump over a little gentle jest.So forget what I said.I have :cry: :cry:

1965 Thames Trader in1969 first driving job
Weighed 2ton 19cwt 6lbs unladen was only 19 yr old so just legal.
Could carry about 7ton but many a time seen it with 10 ton spuds on it`s back
Steady downhill vaccum brakes :laughing: :laughing:

charlie one:

scanialady142:
I was born in 1945 and proud to be 62, going on for 45. Never need to lie about my age.

Sorry madam.I didn’t think you would get the hump over a little gentle jest.So forget what I said.I have :cry: :cry:

dont you know by now that anythink a man says is not found amusing by the female of the scecies. :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :wink:

You would think by now at the age of 70 I would have learnt my lesson.No way. Keep on doing it :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

A Clarks Carriers of Cardiff, Atki Mk1, my dad was based at Tooley St SE1 as a day shunter.

Either that or a D800 artic for a firm called Shirleys from Peckham, you’ll have to excuse the either/or as my dads memory aint so good, well he is a bit older than me :laughing:

A Volvo F10 B reg.

mine was my dads 190-42 turbostar not a bad motor to start of in.

I was 11 at the time, (1975) and got a Saturday job at the then Wonderloaf,later Homepride Bakeries,bakery at Birtley,which was 300 yards from my late Grandmothers house.

They used Leyland 550fg’s,the one with the backward swinging doors,and engine cowl in the cab,which had the exhaust passing by the passenger,which was great in the winter,but hell in the summer.I think my first motor was JJR 310K,but can’t be precise.

If they wouldn’t start on a cold frosty morning,they got a shot of dope,aka Easy Start,which also doubled up as de-icer in the winter,by squirting the liquid at the window,and setting fire to it,just like a flamethrower,but it left one hell of a black residue on the window rubber.!!! :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

I was on the princely sum of 50p per day,big money or what,but happy days indeed. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Just take a look at the extreme right hand side of the pictures in the link:

oldclassiccar.co.uk/consulmk2.htm

When the bakery closed down,as Homepride’s owners,Spillers pulled out of bread making,instead concentrating on flour production,I ‘moved’ to the Mothers Pride bakery at Gateshead,near my parents house,or as it was known before then,Milanda,and they had similar motors,and then later they moved onto Leyland Terriers,and later when that bakery closed and everything amalgamated at the Newcastle bakery,Leyland Roadrunners took over.

It would seem that Leyland type motors have featured in the bakery game for as long as I can remember,because they now use the DAF,which as we know,bought Leyland,and then closed the production,but still use the plant at Leyland,as an assembly plant for Dutch built components.

Ken.