First time out

I passed my class 2 10 months ago.About 6 months ago I joined a couple of agencies and then sat back and waited for the phone to ring.Silence.One week ago I joined another agency and 2 days later I’m out on my own for the first time in an 18 ton scania,05 plate.Brilliant.After arriving at the yard and signing in I did my checks and then had to secure the load .10 pallets.Luckily I had help so I was able to watch somebody who knew what they were doing and didnt mind my questions.Then as it was my first time at this yard we went for a drive round the block which was no problem.Then finally I’m out and on my own for the first time.It was a great day for me,Manchester to wolverhampton ,one drop then back so pretty easy to get into the swing of things.At the delivery I even got onto the loading bay in one go which was a relief,the only thing I find is that I stop well short of the bay thinking I am much nearer than I am.One other thing,on the steering wheel there is a button with a picture of a truck going downhill,is this the retarder ? I tried using it but it didnt seem to do anything.Anyway thats all for now.When I put my pictures on the computer I’ll post them.

Stick ur head out head out the window mate and look back, gives you better judgment of how far u can go. If things are really really tight and u have to park right up against a wall, if you got good eyes you can normally get it within a couple of inches.
Glad it all went well mate :grimacing:

Good for you Biker,you’ll be an " expert " in next to no time. :wink:

try and look for the bar at the back which the tail lights are mounted on. I find this helps me to juge where the back is :smiley:

Nice one mate,i think thats the down hill speed control button your on about.

Thanks for the tips guys,I’ll keep you informed with how i’m getting on.