First Few Runs & First Mistake!

Hi guys,

Passed me class 2 back in September and did me first few runs lately, albeit in a 7.5t.

My first one was in the company truck (Daf 45 150, S-Reg), where I had to drive from the yard (Trafford Park, Manchester) down to Lichfield, pick up two sets of forks, a profile blade and two rail thimbles. The run down was ok until I hit the concrete section on the A500 where my back got shot to pieces from all the bumps n jarring. When I got there had to load the parts on with a Komatsu PC128-US with a ■■■■■■■ ratchet strap because there was no chains or hooks with it. I then had to deliver these at a train station near Holmes Chapel, Cheshire. Whilst unloading, this time with a komatsu pw150-es, the profile blade rolled back and split the boards, d’oh!!

Second job was for a local recruitment company, where I had to drive a Mercedes Atego promotions truck from a depot in warrington down to coventry and then drive the hire car back. All was goin swimmingly until I came off the motorway and the a46 had been shut off and then had to find my drop off using the diversion route. Found it easy enough in the end as I know Binley Woods reasonably well. Drive back was ok in 07-plate mondeo estate diesel.

Third job was back in the company shed. This time I had to take a ballast brush upto a place near southport right next to the see. Got it loaded on ok and then when I went to strap it down, found that all bar one of the straps ahd been nicked out of the cab. This is a regular problem at my work with drivers pinchin each other’s straps, etc. Eventually used my own straps and drove up there with another fitter. Dropped it off, then drove down to Wallasey Grove to PDI another machine and some more attachments and then drove back to the yard.

My latest job should’ve been a piece of cake, were it not for my work cockin things up as per usual. Took a ballast box and a dig grab to a job in Bootle, Liverpool. Was told that one of the low-loader drivers would be there by the time i’d got there so cud unload and put stuff into access point. Get there and low-loader has already been and gone and I couldnt get into the access point because my company still haven’t sorted me out with a key (been waiting since August last year!!!). So I rang my manager and he told me to pull up onto the verge next to the gates, climb over and off load with the machine. I managed to off-load the dig grab easily enough but when it came time to move the shed to get better access to the box, it had sunk and grounded the front axle out on a kirbstone and the back end was the depth of the sidewall in the mud. No matter what I tried it would budge so I rang the office back. They told me they’d try n send somebody out as soon as they could. They then rang me back and told me to wrap the set of lifting chains round the front axle and try dragging it out with the machine. I managed to get it out but the chains pulled on the bumper and creased it so a job for monday!! Oh and the windscreen wipers decided to give up the ghost just as it chucked it down!! D’oh!! Hence, it’s affectionately known as the shed at work!!

I can only hope that I dont have as many probs in the future!! LOL!!

Don’t worry we all have to start off with stuff like this going on.

It sounds like you’re in a plant type environment, I’ve got a handy hints type blog that may or not be of use to you.

Just follow the link in my signature.

Cheers :slight_smile:.

Yeah I work for a rail plant hire firm. Im hoping to go driving full time soon.

Cheers, they’d be a big help :slight_smile:.

You get some dodgy acess points on them railway jobs :slight_smile:

I ve been doing agency work on a contract with network rail delivering track and sleepers and bits of plant since I passed my class 2 in late november and a lot of the acess points are less than ideal for anything bigger than 4 wheeler let alone my 8x4

and 8wheels that blog thingy of yours has come in usefull cheers mate