My First Run

Wow what a day yesterday. I was told on Wednesday that I had a 7.5t drop down to Romsey on Thursday if I wanted to do it. Of course I jumped at the chance.

Got to the yard and was face to face with a 05 plate Renault Midlum 180 curtainsider. Oh crap. Never used curtains. Kind of knew what to do. It’s one thing knowing and another thing doing.

So anyway I was booked in for 15.30 and turned up for 15.00 to make a good impression. Also wasn’t sure if there was going to be lots of paperwork to do.

It turns out that the lorry was waiting to go out and I had no timer to lose. HAHAHAHA.

I get to the pick up point and am told the load is not ready until 16.30. Not too bad I thought as only an hour to wait. Parked it up and read a book. 16.30 comes around and I get told to open up the curtains. Hmmmm. I ask him if he would give me a hand with the first side and I will do the other side. 10 minutes later and we have it all done.

The loaders spend 1h 50 mins loading it up as they hadn’t quite worked out the dimensions right and had to jiggle the pallets and handball the rest.

So I am finally on my way at 18.19. Took me 2h 27 mins to get to the drop at Romsey. A shop refit where the gang had been waiting all day for the load. Of course I get it in the neck for it being late. I told them I can only do as I have been instructed. They were surprised it had taken 2 and a half hours from loading to get it there. After having a brief discussion about LGV speed limits and limiters, they saw my reasoning.

So anyway I am told that they need a hand offloading and that if I don’t help they won’t sign for delivery.

Great I thought. First day and a load of ■■■■ from the customer. I was parked on double yellows holding up a narrow street. So to speed things up I helped. It wasn’t till later that I realised I hadn’t put it on other work on the tacho. They also wanted me to move the lorry back in the middle of the unload so no counting this as my 45 :frowning:

Anyway. I put the lorry back together and set off back to the depot. Stopped at 21.50 and took a full 45 mins.

I’d been given a barrier fob to open the barrier and told to shove it with the keys in an envelope and shove it through security office letterbox.

Got back to the yard at 01.28 this morning. Not a scratch on it.

It’s been a lovely day. Out on the open road. Scorching heat. (Weird not having an instructor or examiner next to you lol).

Just a bit worried about my Driving and WTD hours. It was on an analogue disc in CD drawer type machine so no printouts to check against. And deciphering the chart needs a degree by the looks of things.

I hope I have explained it well enough that someone in the know can tell me if I have completely ballsed it up.

I took the 45 mins where I thought would be the best time but because I did not set the tacho to other work when helping to load or unload it is showing as rest (bed symbol)

Also it was going into bed symbol every time I stopped so I assume I did not have to do anything other than just leave it when taking my 45.

I know these are all things I should have thought about at the time. The gaffer told me he wanted the lorry back in the yard tonight so felt bad about sleeping overnight and returning it in the morning after a daily rest. Probably wouldnt have been paid for the extra time either.

So not sure how I feel really. Glad that someone gave me a chance even with my license endorsement. Sat Nav made the run easy. Lovely weather. No traffic problems. A great first run. I am just sure I have overshot my hours. :question: :question: :question:

Dean

Nice one,sounds like you had a cracking day. :smiley:
Re: WTD,if you started at 15.30,you should have taken a 15 minute break at 21.30,but being as your tacho went to " rest " as you unloaded,I wouldn’t worry about it,this time.
Re: your driving hours,you took a 45 at 21.50 and got back the yard at 01.28,well within your 4.30 driving time.
Seems ok to me,but others who know better than I,make beg to differ. :wink:

Yes it was a really good day. Btw I started driving at 15.05 not 15.30.

Try this , for your tacho information

downloads.tachomaster.net/docs/D … ograph.pdf

:wink:

i too leave mine on rest when im loading or unloading :confused: as it says rest but other work also states ready for other work or taking daily rest period ?

As I went into night time hours ie - between 12-4 does it not mean I have to limit to 10 hours duty time?

dar1976:
As I went into night time hours ie - between 12-4 does it not mean I have to limit to 10 hours duty time?

No that is only when you start at that time anyway that is a bit of a “grey area” as you can "opt out " if you read the drivers hours book ( take it you have 1 & have read it )

I had some work yesterday as well was asked on Wed ( call came through when at dad funeral ) went in for 08.00 for a 08.30 start met the folkie & manger quick run over things had a 60 plate18t Renault midlum ( day cab :unamused: ) had 3 drop on knew where they all were also had a sheet with several collections on although through out the day a few calls were made for a few more most was on by flt but some had to be hand balled on np for me as have done this many times before ( it did speed the job up as well was also to my benefit as did receive a large bag of minstrels at 1 collection :smiley: :smiley: )

There wasnt much driving involved as this was all local done all the drops & collections then when fully loaded headed back to the yard where I helped unload as most was to be trans shipped was then asked if I knew were another company was which I did so went to collect 14 pallets then again back to yard but couldnt help unload as this was all on pallets

Took all paper work into office parked up then was time for me to go home

Although it was all local & some hand ball had quite a nice run out the staff there were all nice & friendly made me more than welcome ( if fact treat me as if worked there )

Took the lorry back with no extra damage on it ( as it had already been damaged previously by a FLT & I was told about it parts on order although still legal to drive )

Thanks for clearing that up Animal.

I am sat here feeling a little better about it. Just want to get back out there and do another run. Maybe a local multidrop this time to give me a broader range of experience.

Sounds like you had a good day yesterday too.

Happy days hey? !!

Oh and BTW I have got the Truckers Handbook 2nd edition as well as the DSA Guide to Driving Goods Vehicles with Full CPC Update.

Nope just the Drivers Hours here

Thanks yep had a good day & dont normally like doing local or multi drop but there wasnt many drops or collections to do & all were companies on ind est which makes a difference ( as I know ) now for some more work

Well they must have been pleased with my work as I have been given extra responsibility. Class 2 Multidrop. Same company. Asked for me personally. I assume it will be under the banner of Pallet Network as per the previous truck.

I have been told to report at 8 in the morning to pick up a fully loaded lorry and do local deliveries… but keep the phone on as I will have to take down collection details too. Definitely making me work for this one.

Anything I should watch out for? Should I take full duty time once in the lorry as driving time… or should I literally only add up the time I am moving the vehicle to 4.5h before taking my 45 mins?

Hoping I can get this right!!.

Dean

Well I have had another eventful day today. An 18 tonner doing multidrop round North Somerset. Even been sniffed by an explosives dog.

It took a bit of getting used to using a range change on the side and finding a position that stopped me range changing inadvertently with my knee.

The agency called and said there is a permanent position going. Great !!! I thought…

It’s with a different company. Paragon Laundry in Bridgwater driving Class 2.

Ok it’s permanent (subject to assessment for Thurs and Friday). But I was really enjoying the pallets today. And there is no guaranteed work on pallets in near future :frowning:

Oh well. Guess I should go and see what it’s all about.

It’s been a good day though. And still shocked I have work coming through so readily. So shouldn’t complain :slight_smile:

Dean

Well it’s been one of those days. Lovely sunshine and beach were the only good things.

After being promised ongoing class 2 work if I go for an assessment today I duly turned up an hour early to meet the manager.

He said I was on my own as no one available to ride with me. 2 drops in Weymouth which didn’t seem so bad but then I was shown the lorry.

Think this probably falls under 7.5t as it had a straight 6 box.

Found the first drop but had no idea where the other drop was. Tried calling back to base but no answer and by the time I had done several circuits of Weymouth and improved my reversing skills twenty fold I eventually got there to find the staff had gone home. I left the load in the back and drove it back to the yard to find it full of lorries and cars but no one there. I assume they went to the pub !!

So I assume that I probably won’t be getting any ongoing work with them and it looks like it’s back to the grindstone.

Oh and this was one of the very few things that made today worth bothering with.

And before anyone says anything I was stationery in a traffic jam :slight_smile:

Cheers

Dean

:

dar1976:
Oh and this was one of the very few things that made today worth bothering with.

Are you refering to the lovey dovey couple or the view■■? :laughing: :laughing: :unamused:

The view lol. Although there has been plenty of female talent today

I totally agree with that :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :sunglasses: :smiling_imp:

dar1976:
Well it’s been one of those days. Lovely sunshine and beach were the only good things.

After being promised ongoing class 2 work if I go for an assessment today I duly turned up an hour early to meet the manager.

He said I was on my own as no one available to ride with me. 2 drops in Weymouth which didn’t seem so bad but then I was shown the lorry.

Think this probably falls under 7.5t as it had a straight 6 box.

Found the first drop but had no idea where the other drop was. Tried calling back to base but no answer and by the time I had done several circuits of Weymouth and improved my reversing skills twenty fold I eventually got there to find the staff had gone home. I left the load in the back and drove it back to the yard to find it full of lorries and cars but no one there. I assume they went to the pub !!

So I assume that I probably won’t be getting any ongoing work with them and it looks like it’s back to the grindstone.

And before anyone says anything I was stationery in a traffic jam :slight_smile:

Cheers

Dean

If you don’t mind me asking, promised by who? I think I can guess… :wink:

Driver Hire lol

dar1976:
Driver Hire lol

I guessed right! Glad to see you’re proving me wrong and getting some work though! :wink:

I had very much the same view after reading the posts on here over the last year to 18 months but it seems that newbies are getting a chance from reading all the posts recently.

And yes I am glad I proved you and my own preconceptions wrong :wink:

Dean

Sorry to here it didnt quite work out this time for you but keep going as something will come along

I have not done much but have had other thing on & as on sick I can only do a few hours per week ( permitted work ) but things are starting to pick up as having some calls about work

Good luck

dar1976:

Yes, you worked at nighttime (12:00 - 04:00) so your WORKING TIME is limited to 10 hours, not your duty time.
POA and break dont count towards the 10 hours

You started at 15:00 and finished at 01:30 which is 10:30hrs duty minus your 45min break = 9:45 work time so no worries there
Ask your agency about opting out of the night rule and it will be one less hassel for you and its very easy to do

Tacho rules available HERE