First Driving job with agency!

Well im getting excited right now going to finaly use my ADR certificate i obtained last year :slight_smile: Im in the forces got some leave so decided to phone up Driver Hire today, spoke to someone on the phone told them my situation licences and quals etc He told me there looking for ADR driver as there kinda short next week ! so all looking good :slight_smile: kinda nervous as i have never done any ADR work, does anyone have experience in this field ? just like to know what to expect and what to do… ie paper work ? just anything will be great help. thats if i get any work ! fingers crossed.

Vernon1987:
Well im getting excited right now going to finaly use my ADR certificate i obtained last year :slight_smile: Im in the forces got some leave so decided to phone up Driver Hire today, spoke to someone on the phone told them my situation licences and quals etc He told me there looking for ADR driver as there kinda short next week ! so all looking good :slight_smile: kinda nervous as i have never done any ADR work, does anyone have experience in this field ? just like to know what to expect and what to do… ie paper work ? just anything will be great help. thats if i get any work ! fingers crossed.

Hi Vernon1987,

There’s nothing really special about “what to do” when it comes to an ADR job, except that your daily check will need to include the extra items (PPE and vehicle equipment) needed for ADR work, but you have asked about paperwork…

Since you haven’t said what you’ll carry, my answer can only be very general.
If a load of dangerous goods carried in normal packages is in excess of the relevant ADR Transport Category load limit, then the job is subject to the full requirements of ADR.
(Vehicle equipment and markings, ADR licence, Photo-ID, 2 fire extinguishers, PPE etc.)

If this is the case, then you will also need the following documentation for the load:

• an ADR compliant transport document ( = a ‘proper’ ADR delivery note)
  • and a four-page Instructions In Writing (IIW.)

If the ‘stuff’ is packaged in normal packages, but you have less than the relevant ADR transport category load limit on board, then (on UK work) you don’t need any special paperwork of any kind.
You also wouldn’t need any of the things I’ve mentioned above, but you would need 1 X 2kg ADR compliant dry powder fire extinguisher.

If the ‘stuff’ is packaged in little packages (of the kind that people can buy in a retail shop) then the load is known as Limited Quantities (LQs,) and again, no special paperwork is needed. You also wouldn’t need any fire-extinguishers or an ADR licence, no matter what quantity of LQs is loaded.

Sorry mate, but there are too many variables preventing me from being more specific.

Unless you can find out:

• The UN number and name of the stuff
  • The UN Class
  • The Packing Group (if it has one)
  • The kind and size of packages
  • The number of packages

:bulb: If you can get the info I’ve mentioned just above, I can tell you exactly what you’ll need.

Please remember that it is the responsibility of the vehicle owner to get this lot all sorted for you and to supply you with ALL the necessary equipment. The vehicle owner ALSO has a responsibility to see to it that the correct paperwork is on board the vehicle, so please enjoy the job and don’t worry too much about it. :wink:

:bulb: If ADR applies in full to the job, then please don’t forget that you MUST have your ADR certificate WITH YOU. You will also need some kind of acceptable ID which MUST include a photo, so your driving licence or digi-card would be OK. Photocpies of such documents are NOT acceptable.

I hope I’ve been able to reassure you. :smiley:

Hey diesel dave got 3 days work start monday delivering gas for flo gas in scotland woohooo

Vernon1987:
Hey diesel dave got 3 days work start monday delivering gas for flo gas in scotland woohooo

Hi Vernon1987,

Will that be gas in cylinders, or a gas in a tanker??

My guess is that it will probably be Propane or Butane. :wink:

alrite dave its in cyclinders the little small ones ?

Vernon1987:
alrite dave its in cyclinders the little small ones ?

Hi Vernon1987,

That’s a nice easy job then. :smiley:

You’ll probably be carrying (either or both)

UN 1978 PROPANE, 2.1

UN 1011 BUTANE, 2.1

The ADR threshold limit for those substances is 333kg net, so just look at the net kg written on the cylinders.

TBH mate, the gas industry tends not to worry too much about the ADR threshold limit, so they just keep their orange plates displayed at all times. This is perfectly OK in the UK, because there is an Approved Code Of Practice (ACOP) agreed with the HSE that covers this.

You’ll need a delivery note for each delivery, plust the four-page IIW that I mentioned above.
Flo Gas probably have their own version of the delivery note, so you’ve nothing to worry about when it comes to paperwork.

You’ll need the following equipment on board the vehicle:

• A wheel chock
  • 2 self-standing warning signs
  • Hi-viz clothing
  • A torch
  • Goggles
  • Gloves

You’ll also need 2 X fire extinguishers.
1 must be min 2kg dry powder for all vehicle sizes, but the minimum size of the second extinguisher depends on the size of the vehicle.

If the authorised vehicle GVW is up to and including 3.5t, the second extinguisher must be a min 2kg (So total = min 4kg)

if the authorised vehicle GVW is more than 3.5t and up to and including 7.5t, the second extinguisher must be a minimum of 6kg (So total = min 8kg)

If the authorised vehicle GVW is more than 7.5t, the second extinguisher must be a minimum of 10kg (So total = min 12kg)

Good luck, and if there’s anything you’re still not sure of, then please ask. :smiley: