First day on fridge work

Sorry for starting yet another new thread

Yesterday was my first day on the fridges. I have a few questions that i was struggeling with last night,

1. What is one supposed to do withthe movable doors… if i used the bits of rope with a carabina style clip they were at about 45 degrees and there was no way of adjusting the height. first few cages were ok as i could lay them on top of the cages further down the wagon but after i had tipped a couple of rows they were hitting the blower.

2. how are you supposed to hitch/unhitch the straps to the lanyards that dangle down on the sides and on the bottom. talk about chinese puzzle.

3. i have been told to switch the fridge box off when at a store. on the one in the lorry last night there was a rocker switch so fairly easy i thought. however at one point when i switched it on it said error and another after a mile or so it screamed at me flashing starter. on both occastions switching it off and back on cleared it (i think) Below is a pic of the control box

The constant tone you hear is a warning to get your fingers/head/body out of the fridge engine compartment as the fridge is about to start up. They all do that after switching them on and setting a temperature on the panel.

Ask a shunter to show you or another driver later in the shift when you get to the RSU.

Surely you did an induction. !! putting up the false bulkhead is really easy there is a clip at the bottom of the doors you connect the cord with the dog clip on the doors pull up and it clamps the cord in place. Simples

1. What is one supposed to do withthe movable doors… if i used the bits of rope with a carabina style clip they were at about 45 degrees and there was no way of adjusting the height. first few cages were ok as i could lay them on top of the cages further down the wagon but after i had tipped a couple of rows they were hitting the blower.

Are they like these?

The yellow bits lock the rope, once the rope is between them you can pull down to lift the bulkhead, the rope can only go one way. To release it pull the rope away from the yellow bits, fully out. Remove the rope from the bungee on the trailer wall to make it easier (pull down on the red strap).

1. how are you supposed to hitch/unhitch the straps to the lanyards that dangle down on the sides and on the bottom. talk about chinese puzzle.

They need to be at 90 degrees, ie. if the triangle of the hook was flat on the floor with the hook facing up, the D link would also need to be verticle. The D link sinks into the triangle and past the end of the hook.
Start Edit:

End Edit.
Only unhook the top and hang them against the sides.

Jamestross:
Surely you did an induction. !! putting up the false bulkhead is really easy there is a clip at the bottom of the doors you connect the cord with the dog clip on the doors pull up and it clamps the cord in place. Simples

+1 ^^^

Surely you have “management” available to answer these questions ?

Its like those questions regarding parking on FB, why are they not being advised as to where they need to park, instead of plastering social media with their desperation & also the contents of the vehicle/fuel tanks ? :open_mouth:

Cuttlefish:

Are they like these?

The yellow bits lock the rope, once the rope is between them you can pull down to lift the bulkhead, the rope can only go one way. To release it pull the rope away from the yellow bits, fully out. Remove the rope from the bungee on the trailer wall to make it easier (pull down on the red strap).

1. how are you supposed to hitch/unhitch the straps to the lanyards that dangle down on the sides and on the bottom. talk about chinese puzzle.

They need to be at 90 degrees, ie. if the triangle of the hook was flat on the floor with the hook facing up, the D link would also need to be verticle. The D link sinks into the triangle and past the end of the hook. Only unhook the top and hang them against the sides.

thanks thats vey usefull at the moment its taking me 10-15 mins to tip a couple of cages because i am doing 10 rounds with the doors and straps. I will follow your instructions on monday.

Stanley Mitchell:

Jamestross:

+1 ^^^

Its like those questions regarding parking on FB, why are they not being advised as to where they need to park, instead of plastering social media with their desperation & also the contents of the vehicle/fuel tanks ? :open_mouth:

My induction was part of the assesment. we pretended we were delivering some cages with rubish on them to thier sister site. All the bits i was shown were on a different truck with a different control panel for the fridge. this included a 5 min walk around each site and a this is how you do this before moving on to the next thing.

edit to add i susspect if i wasnt an agency bod i would of been given alot more training.

I hope they took the trouble to tell you to switch the tail lift off when driving. Where you will be going the kids love to press the button and lower it when you are sitting at traffic lights.

cooper1203:

Stanley Mitchell:

Jamestross:

+1 ^^^

My induction was part of the assesment. we pretended we were delivering some cages with rubish on them to thier sister site. All the bits i was shown were on a different truck with a different control panel for the fridge. this included a 5 min walk around each site and a this is how you do this before moving on to the next thing.

edit to add i susspect if i wasnt an agency bod i would of been given alot more training.

They still have a duty of care, whether you are agency or not, its also in their “interest” for you to have proper training, so your shift go according to plan :wink:

Stanley Mitchell:

cooper1203:

Stanley Mitchell:

Jamestross:

+1 ^^^

They still have a duty of care, whether you are agency or not, its also in their “interest” for you to have proper training, so your shift go according to plan :wink:
[/quote]
hence why there is a pic of me on the dartboard in the tm office.

Judging by the way you are doing it I suspect that you won’t be there doing the job for long

peirre:
Judging by the way you are doing it I suspect that you won’t be there doing the job for long

why what am i doing wrong

cav551:
I hope they took the trouble to tell you to switch the tail lift off when driving. Where you will be going the kids love to press the button and lower it when you are sitting at traffic lights.

funny you say that i thought it was a nick if you had the key in the taillift and not using it. But he said no just switch it off and drop the flap then your fine.

cooper1203, your involvement in the fridge should really be to switch on or off. Occasionally you might find you need to change a temperature or switch a compartment off, or as you say, restart the thing when there is an error. Otherwise, make sure it seems to be working okay and verify the temperatures are correct. If there is an issue meaning the product is not at temperature, phone it in for someone above your pay grade to make a decision.

Regarding the internal aspects, you will learn these gradually. Take five minutes to work out how to raise the separating doors for the compartments and similarly the straps, it’s not that difficult but it sure does help if someone shows you that’s for sure. Typical of the transport industry to be thrown in at the deep end and just expected to get on with it. Everybody learned to walk, so just ignore the trolls.

To be fair when he asked about the movable doors, I thought the trailer has doors on the side. I honestly had no idea that he was talking about the bulkhead

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for all thehelp and suggestions i have now compleated my first full week. There are still things to learn and new experiences to be had but im enjoying it so far. It certainly beats my previous job as far as no more running around the hospitals/collages looking for someone to take the delivery just turn up at the appropriate place and gosh horror the majority are even pleased to see you and assist you by guiding you in and out of places if needs be.