Having a go with fridges. Any advice?

After 2 years on curtainsider general haulage I’m starting with another company in a couple of weeks tramping still but pulling fridges.

Any advice? No matter how stupid or basic it might sound I’ve not done it before so I’ll be interested to see what you say.

Make sure it has diesel in it, pre chilling is good practice and split couple, it keeps the jeans clean.

A.

Try to find places to park where the fridge, if needing to be left running, won’t annoy others.

Check…

Your fuel cap. If it’s missing and you dump 20 litres of cherry onto a roundabout, you won’t be popular and if caught, you’ll be heavily fined.

Check your temp settings. Despite someone saying they’ve already done it, it’s your arse in the sling if you cook or freeze something.

Personally, I don’t like automatic settings and consequently run manual all the time. I’m sure your company will have a policy about it one way or another.

If the doors won’t open because of the vacuum effect knock the fridge off to open them (remember to turn it back on after)

Always check what temp the customer wants the product transported at and if possible get it on the paperwork.

Some prefer to leave the fridge on constant overnight as they sleep better with it always on instead of stop/starting.

Enjoy! You will never want to pull another curtainsider again.

Stick a small generator in your wardrobe for a week, if you can sleep then your on for the job.

Have a gander at this video.

youtu.be/APWEazKYpi4

Helped me get a bit of a heads up on how fridges work in addition to what your new firm should hopefully show you.

Also if your stuck - just find another fridge driver and ask.

Decent ones will help if you ask.

If you’re split coupling, always ALWAYS check the trailer brake is on before climbing up onto the back of the drive unit. If you’ve raised the suspension and are on a slope, when you attach the emergency air line it can release the trailer brake which could then squish you…or rip out your hoses.

Check company policy on split coupling. If you’re running fridges they should allow it, and it is safe if done correctly.

Check company policy on fridge setting changes too. There are some who don’t want the driver touching the settings at all, and will have a barny at any driver who tries to take responsibility for their load.

Run on constant if permitted, to get a better night’s sleep. I actually like the white noise of the fridge running, as it drowns out other noise. Try to park away from other trucks, though, as many don’t like the racket.

Use load bars at the back if needed, but you don’t have to worry about strapping any more. Goodbye curtainsider misery! :slight_smile:

Think about crank coupling to the trailer, i.e. hook onto the pin by coming under the trailer at an angle. A lot of trailers now have extending mavis rails doing away with the need to split or crank couple. If your trailer has them ,use them.

Welcome to the world of sitting about, and nobody liking you when you roll up in a truck stop, or ind Est for the nite, the common phrase you will hear is
" you leaving that running all night"
“,Il switch it off for yeah”
As others have said, if in doubt ask, and ask again, after you’ve set the temperature, check it again, make sure its full of fuel, and does it have to be on constant or stop start, when you get use to it, no more worries about curtain slashers, or high winds. What’s not to like,

If you know a place where your loading won’t start loading until the temp in the trailer is down - set it running on the way there.

Sounds daft but I’ve had a game with a crap trailer before now to get it to a decent -15 or lower. It’ll get there but it will feel like ages if you sat waiting.

(Not all trailers are like this particular rattling bag of ■■■■. A lot will fly down to temp!)

Treat the fridge fuel tank the same as you do the lorry’s one. You don’t know what the plans are for the trailer and they could change, so don’t drop it off in the yard without filling it up and don’t leave the yard without it being full. Don’t trust the gauge, have a look.

Multi compartment fridges are a pain, defect faulty bulkheads and straps/ pins, it could fall and hit you on the head. Keep an eye on pallet heights and the rear roof mounted fridge, you will probably have to turn each tall pallet to get past it. Lidl and Aldi can be a real pain with one of these what with their narrow loading docks and posts/buffers and electric pump trucks.

Edit ADD: trying to turn a pallet in the back of the trailer especially with an electric pump truck is just a trifle awkward. Be wary of honeydew melons in cardboard boxes stacked high, they tend to fall over.

kjw21:
If the doors won’t open because of the vacuum effect knock the fridge off to open them (remember to turn it back on after)

I only have this issue with our Chereau trailers. Gray & Adams and montracon trailers don’t seem to suffer from the vacuum effect.

ORC:
If you’re split coupling, always ALWAYS check the trailer brake is on before climbing up onto the back of the drive unit. If you’ve raised the suspension and are on a slope, when you attach the emergency air line it can release the trailer brake which could then squish you…or rip out your hoses.

Check company policy on split coupling. If you’re running fridges they should allow it, and it is safe if done correctly.

Check company policy on fridge setting changes too. There are some who don’t want the driver touching the settings at all, and will have a barny at any driver who tries to take responsibility for their load.

Run on constant if permitted, to get a better night’s sleep. I actually like the white noise of the fridge running, as it drowns out other noise. Try to park away from other trucks, though, as many don’t like the racket.

Use load bars at the back if needed, but you don’t have to worry about strapping any more. Goodbye curtainsider misery! :slight_smile:

Take note of the first paragraph.^^^ Best bit of advice you will ever receive.

I was a bit lazy one day at Iceland when split coupling and the exact scenario above played out. I’ve never heard a pin locating in a fifth wheel sound so good since :neutral_face: ALWAYS CHECK YOUR TRAILER BRAKE FIRST WHEN SPLIT COUPLING.

If you can’t get on with the noise of a fridge at night or if you are in a dodgy area I carry a pin lock and unhook and park behind the trailer. Stops tow rags getting in and removes the noise

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

You should get to sleep no bother with a thermo king on constant. A carrier on the other hand will keep you up. They are heaps of ■■■■

Fridge runnin off stop start I’ll sleep no problem. Some even have a quiet mode.
Basically follow the company’s rules.
Always without fail check the trailer park brake before you go anywhere near it.
Make sure you have enough bars and cups and if poss get a few straps.
Odd / stand alone pallets block in with a K pack ( 3 pallets one on end to the side of the loaded pallet then drop pall number 2 in against the trailer wall and on end pallet finally drop pallet number 3 on the raise edge of pallet number 2 making the letter K .
This not only fills the gap and supports the loan pallet but supports the other pallet in front.

Always run the test mode when you couple up to a new (to you) trailer whether it was already running or before initial first use and make sure your company gives you a list of the fault codes, could save you a whole load of [zb] down the road later.

Learn/ask what the defrost mode is and when to use it too. (I’m sure most are automatic now though)

Oh and make sure you disconnect the electrical lead if it was running on electric whilst on a bay, they don’t see the funny side if you drive off with a thin grey snake trailing down the one side :laughing:

Take plenty of reading/viewing material, it’s second only to containers for waiting around.

I think pretty much everything else has been covered in the previous posts.

P Stoff:
If you can’t get on with the noise of a fridge at night or if you are in a dodgy area I carry a pin lock and unhook and park behind the trailer. Stops tow rags getting in and removes the noise

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

Or disconnect and pull forward 8 to 10 feet (just enough to make it difficult for someone to nick it) that’ll help reduce noise a bit.

If you have a dual temp make sure both chillers are on and each one is set at desired temp.

Anyone know of any decent reefer outfits taking on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk